Menu

FDA announcement: PSA for allergy moms

cintinative

https://www.fda.gov/food/cfsan-constituent-updates/fda-announces-temporary-flexibility-policy-regarding-certain-labeling-requirements-foods-humans?fbclid=IwAR27_ejhHZqzt3IRnbnyVKfebbRK7Dz0iviBLrdUjF19NVpx0OyO1p2SW70

First, the FDA is providing flexibility for manufacturers to make minor formulation changes in certain circumstances without making conforming label changes, such as making a change to product ingredients, without updating the ingredient list on the packaged food when such a minor change is made. For purposes of this guidance, minor formulation changes should be consistent with the general factors listed below, as appropriate:

• Safety: the ingredient being substituted for the labeled ingredient does not cause any adverse health effect (including food allergens, gluten, sulfites, or other foods known to cause sensitivities in some people, for example, glutamates);   
  • Quantity: generally present at 2 percent or less by weight of the finished food;
  • Prominence: the ingredient being omitted or substituted for the labeled ingredient is not a major ingredient in the product;
  • Characterizing Ingredient: the ingredient being omitted or substituted for the labeled ingredient is not a characterizing ingredient; for example, omitting raisins, a characterizing ingredient in raisin bread; 
  • Claims: an omission or substitution of the ingredient does not affect any voluntary nutrient content or health claims on the label;  and
  • Nutrition/Function: an omission or substitution of the labeled ingredient does not have a significant impact on the finished product, including nutritional differences or functionality. 

Specific examples are contained in the guidance. For example, an ingredient could be temporarily reduced or omitted (e.g. green peppers) from a vegetable quiche that contains small amounts of multiple vegetables without a change in the ingredient list on the label.  Substitution of certain oils may temporarily be appropriate without a label change, such as canola oil for sunflower oil, because they contain similar types of fats.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

these are the same people who say generics are basically the same as the brand even when it uses "slightly" different ingredients.

There are RX brand names I'm fine with - the generics make me ill.  so, this isn't ok with me.

eta: there are reasons I read labels - so I can avoid 'sensitivities".  there are things other's have no issue with (re: yeast), but I do.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Can't use the top allergens (milk, eggs, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy). They can use other things that people are allergic to. People with corn allergies are going to be very alarmed at this.

This. I have a friend whose child has EOE and corn is a big problem. 

39 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I am reading this to say that they can't use food allergens to substitute.  So I wouldn't think that would be a problem.  No?  Am I reading this wrong?

Food allergens to whom?

My two kids with LTFAs, between them, have allergies to foods that are not in the Top 8.  One of them isn’t even required to be listed, ever, and can just be called “spices” or “natural flavorings.”  I have to call or email every darn company that lists these as ingredients.  Every one.  

If they can substitute willy nilly ... holy cow. Keeping my kids alive and breathing has just gotten much, much harder.  😨

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

Just now, Spryte said:

My two kids with LTFAs, between them, have allergies to foods that are not in the Top 8.  One of them isn’t even required to be listed, ever, and can just be called “spices” or “natural flavorings.”  I have to call or email every darn company that lists these as ingredients.  Every one.  

I'm so sorry. My friend's son has a mustard allergy and it is such a pain for this same reason.

• Like 1

This just makes life so hard. I have multiple allergies and have trouble reading labels now in the store between wearing my readers, wearing a mask, trying to keep away from people, not wanting to pick up stuff that I won't/can't buy, trying to not linger in a store... I can't each much prepared food as it is. I guess I will just stop altogether.... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, lmrich said:

This just makes life so hard. I have multiple allergies and have trouble reading labels now in the store between wearing my readers, wearing a mask, trying to keep away from people, not wanting to pick up stuff that I won't/can't buy, trying to not linger in a store... I can't each much prepared food as it is. I guess I will just stop altogether.... 

Yep. Me too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, perkybunch said:

I am reading this to say that they can't use food allergens to substitute.  So I wouldn't think that would be a problem.  No?  Am I reading this wrong?

just because 99% of people don't react to a given food allergen, doesn't mean that 1% can't be life threatening.

I'm allergic to eugenol.  I'm sure you've never heard of it.     oil of cloves, holy basil leaf, etc..  things most people have no problem ingesting. ONE pkg of temporary dental cement (it's in all of them) had an allergy alert on its label.  I used it after I popped a temporary crown over a long holiday weekend.  My first clue there was a problem was when I started having trouble breathing.  I was taking a lot of Benadryl just to counter it's effects.  I used an adrenal supplement not realizing HBL contains eugenol. . . . it wasn't pretty. I again had those with me threatening to call 911.

I've frustrated multiple drs in how I respond to things no one else responds to.  

https://snacksafely.com/2020/05/the-fda-has-relaxed-labeling-requirements-under-covid-19-what-it-means-for-the-food-allergy-community/?fbclid=IwAR1CVHRvehW1m_A_Xfnmez8XjPnPPNEE7eVxST2kLerCxPgqQoH0HRaL2Q0

This article explains some of the other implications, like the possible replacement of an oil with a refined peanut oil because the FDA does not consider that to need labeling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

https://snacksafely.com/2020/05/the-fda-has-relaxed-labeling-requirements-under-covid-19-what-it-means-for-the-food-allergy-community/?fbclid=IwAR1CVHRvehW1m_A_Xfnmez8XjPnPPNEE7eVxST2kLerCxPgqQoH0HRaL2Q0

This article explains some of the other implications, like the possible replacement of an oil with a refined peanut oil because the FDA does not consider that to need labeling. 

Thank you so much for posting this!  I'm sharing it with my FPIES Facebook groups. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Spryte said:

Food allergens to whom?

If they can substitute willy nilly ... holy cow. Keeping my kids alive and breathing has just gotten much, much harder.  😨

This is close to my situation with my dh.  Ugh. It’s already tough enough to work with his allergy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1