Menu

Anyone else retiring from homeschooling right now?

Zebra

I've got one teen who I homeschooled the whole way through.  According to our state she's done homeschooling.

So I'm retired.  Which I knew was coming, but literally just started really thinking seriously about in March.  It's all been a little hard to process, or celebrate, or grasp in the middle of a pandemic.  I feel like I'm in some weird limbo state.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Like 3

Yes, I was thinking today that it's been three years for me now. It's been a crazy three years, so don't you believe for a minute that I've just been sitting around drinking iced tea! LOL

But seriously, congratulations! It's such a major accomplishment. 

Congratulations!

And, I can't imagine how much harder this must be, wrapping your mind around being done with homeschooling in the midst of this very strange season. Wishing you all the BEST as you begin to process, and discover what is the next step for you! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well thanks everyone!   I don't know anyone IRL who is where I am.   I knew there must be someone on here going through something similar!

DD did dual enrollment this past year.   So it was half homeschooling/half college.   I wasn't really sure how the whole college thing was going to go, but she handled it really well.   The state says she is done, but she's a high school senior as far as the college is concerned.   She's referring to herself as a "college student", and in my mind that's what she is because she is only going to take college classes and I am going to have very little to do with that now that she's more settled.        

DD won't have a high school graduation.   She'll be a Sophmore when she "really" starts college.    It's really a bizarre limbo year for us particularly with the pandemic.      

This is literally the first time in my life that I haven't had a plan for the next thing.    Since I was a teen I have always been planning and moving into the next thing.    DH says I should take a "gap year" now, and I think instead I am going to take a "nap year". 🤣

ANYWAY, I am not whining just musing.    This is one of those life transitions that isn't talked about that much.

• Like 2

We just graduated our only child Last week. He was homeschooled all the way through. He will be going to university this fall. 
I have been anticipating this for several years now and started a small business three years ago. As DS started dual enrollment and needed less and less homeschooling, I expanded my business. I am excited to be done homeschooling. It was great. But I am ready to move on with my life. 

Yep. My “baby” started college in January, she does all her school there. I have homeschooled 4 children all the way through. It’s been a beautiful season I will never regret. Now I just have to figure out what I want to be now that I’m a grown up. 😉 I’m considering getting my RN. 

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

...ANYWAY, I am not whining just musing.    This is one of those life transitions that isn't talked about that much.

Here are 2 of several  past threads (linked on PAGE 5 -- under the sub heading "Drop Off Day/Empty Nest" -- of the big pinned thread "College Motherlode" at the top of College Board) that discuss that topic:

Having a hard time letting go
Can you avoid the empty nest syndrome?

Me!  I’m DONE.  It’s been good, but 19 years is a long time and I’m fried. I’m ready to do something else now. I’m sure I’ll eventually miss it, but right now I’m tired and relieved we’re done.

My oldest also graduated from college this same year her brother graduated from high school. I feel like they both missed their milestone celebrations, but I’m glad there are no more tuition payments going to DDs university. 

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Congratulations!  Two big achievements.

What is your son doing next?

Awww, thank you. I’m proud of them both. They worked so hard. DS may do a a few CC classes. A full schedule would exhaust him. We may wait until it’s safe for him to do in person classes again. 

Congrats to all of you who have finished too!

I thought I would be sad, instead I feel satisfied and spent.   DD isn't moving out of the house any time soon, which makes it easier to handle.

I have no idea what to do next either.    

Me! Dd16 starts dual enrollment in the fall, so I'm basically done homeschooling. I'll finish up her homeschool transcript when she's done with high school, but as far as teaching, planning, shopping for all the cool curriculum goes, I'm done. It is a big transition for both of us, but we both feel ready and satisfied. Dd did really well on her ACT, so that was a nice confidence booster for her, and a pat on the back for me. I know test scores aren't everything, but this one was encouraging to us. The extra time together during the lockdown has been very special, since I know   she won't be around as much in the fall. Overall, homeschooling this kid has been one of the great joys of my life. 

Congratulations to you, Zebra, and all the other retirees! Great job!