Menu

Maud Arbery

Scarlett

Has anyone been following this in the last few days?  Apparently the police texted the owner December 20, 2019 and suggested the owner call McMichael day or night if the cameras were tripped.  The owner did not see the message until Friday.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/us/ahmaud-arbery-text-message/index.html

Aldo there are multiple videos showing a lot of other people going in to this house.  Nothing was ever reported stolen or vandalized. 

‘This case just upsets me so much.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I can't follow it too closely b/c it's enraging and depressing. My DH runs outdoors because the gyms are closed and staying fit is a condition of his employment. He's starting taking our son for runs too. Fortunately, our neighborhood is more diverse than most. There have been times when that was not the case.

Now there is a 3 year old video of Maud being questioned by police.  Anyone know how to find it?  I saw it on the end of it on news but my google skills are failing me.  

Also the video taken when he was killed is 4 minutes long.  They chased him in vehicles for at least 4 minutes.  

• Sad 2

Why is this not criminal? Why would you have a gun in an unlocked car? Shouldn't that be a crime? This entire case makes me sick. I'm sad that so many cases like this in the past didn't make me sick until the last few years. 

"No string of break-ins was reported in more than seven weeks before Arbery's death and there was only a burglary report after a gun was stolen from an unlocked vehicle in front of the McMichaels' home, police said."

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Why is this not criminal? Why would you have a gun in an unlocked car? Shouldn't that be a crime? This entire case makes me sick. I'm sad that so many cases like this in the past didn't make me sick until the last few years. 

"No string of break-ins was reported in more than seven weeks before Arbery's death and there was only a burglary report after a gun was stolen from an unlocked vehicle in front of the McMichaels' home, police said."

I know right?  

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

A lot of people called him Maud.  Is it offensive that I did?

I wouldn't think so. Family members have frequently called him Maud, and the day when people were running in his honor was called and hashtagged #runwithmaud

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I don't have the answer to why people leave guns in their vehicles but in suburban Atlanta it happens. A lot of people in rural areas leave their vehicles unlocked.

2 hours ago, ashfern said:

I don't have the answer to why people leave guns in their vehicles but in suburban Atlanta it happens. A lot of people in rural areas leave their vehicles unlocked.

I always leave my doors unlocked, but I wouldn't if I had a gun in it. 

And, I'm not even surprised that people have guns in their vehicles. I am shocked that it isn't a crime to have a gun in an unlocked car when a person isn't in it.

Kelly

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I always leave my doors unlocked, but I wouldn't if I had a gun in it. 

And, I'm not even surprised that people have guns in their vehicles. I am shocked that it isn't a crime to have a gun in an unlocked car when a person isn't in it.

Kelly

In our previous county (suburb of Atlanta) whenever there was a cluster of vehicle break-ins, there was always at least one gun and one computer stolen. These vehicles were in driveways in "nice" neighborhoods. The agent we bought our house from lives in a very rural county. Her & her husband were flying out of Atlanta. He forgot that he had his gun with him so had to lock it in his vehicle at the airport. His truck was broken into and the gun stolen.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, Scarlett said:

And apparently the sister to the killer posted a picture of Arbery’s dead body on her Snapchat.  

I can’t even.  

I can’t learn more about this. It makes me despair for humanity. It’s similar in that respect to the Andrea Yates case. Any new thing I found out was like mental poison. 

I was watching Colbert last night and he had Gail King on. She mentioned how shocked she is this case is not getting more media attention.  

Dh and I had some words about the latest video....he has seen the whole thing and I have not.  He described what happened....that basically Maud was asked by police to show ID and then, according to Dh he became agitated and was waving his hands around and then the police asked to search his vehicle.  Dh said Maud was angry,  I said,’well, you might be angry too if every time you went out you were profiled and questioned. ‘.  I explained to Dh that mothers of black boys teach their sons how to tow the line to avoid, maybe, being killed by cops or or in this case a citizen!  Ugh.  It makes me so sick.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I was watching Colbert last night and he had Gail King on. She mentioned how shocked she is this case is not getting more media attention.  

Dh and I had some words about the latest video....he has seen the whole thing and I have not.  He described what happened....that basically Maud was asked by police to show ID and then, according to Dh he became agitated and was waving his hands around and then the police asked to search his vehicle.  Dh said Maud was angry,  I said,’well, you might be angry too if every time you went out you were profiled and questioned. ‘.  I explained to Dh that mothers of black boys teach their sons how to tow the line to avoid, maybe, being killed by cops or or in this case a citizen!  Ugh.  It makes me so sick.  

Dh did eventually see my point. 

• Like 1

I did the run for him.  

This is so utterly disgusting.

Like many, I assumed that the video was to help with nailing the perps.  Instead now it sounds like it is more celebratory, like those disgusting photos of people around a hanging tree with strange fruit on it.  Absolutely aghast.

And what took so long to decide to prosecute?  I expect more arrests/charges for things related to that, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I did the run for him.  

Like many, I assumed that the video was to help with nailing the perps.  Instead now it sounds like it is more celebratory, like those disgusting photos of people around a hanging tree with strange fruit on it.  Absolutely aghast.

And what took so long to decide to prosecute?  I expect more arrests/charges for things related to that, for sure.

Your question was asked by many.  The family had been pressuring authorities for 2 months.  It wasn't until the video went viral that anyone outside of local authorities took notice.

On May 5, after the video was released, Atlantic Judicial Circuit District Attorney Tom Durden requested GBI investigate the Arbery death. The local police department also asked for assistance from state authorities.

Reynolds said during the press conference that agents pored over the investigative file compiled by the local authorities most of the day on Wednesday. By about 5 p.m. Thursday, Reynolds said his agents "had established sufficient probable cause to seek arrest warrants" against the McMichaels.

When asked what his department saw in the case file that local authorities might have missed, Reynolds said, "I can't answer what another agency did or didn't see."

"But I can tell you that based on our involvement in this case, considering the fact that we hit the ground running Wednesday morning, within 36 hours, we had secured warrants for two individuals for felony murder. I think that speaks volumes for itself and that the probable cause was clear to our agents pretty quickly."

My answer?  Good Old Boys network ...

"As for why this may have taken so long, Gregory McMichael has worked in law enforcement in the area for more than 20 years, including time working as an investigator in the district attorney's office in Brunswick," Jones said.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/08/852719660/more-arrests-possible-in-the-killing-of-ahmaud-arbery-state-investigators-say

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Isn’t it amazing that people can watch a black man in droopy drawers/hoodie get angry, yell at cops, and often get shot/tased and then say well, he should have followed the rules....yet see a bunch of poorly dressed  white guys wearing maga hats and neo-Nazi patches while waving confederate flags and carrying guns all shouting in cops’ faces, and we say well maybe they’re just protesting unfair rules or maybe it’s not intimidation, it’s more like patriotism??

Revolting.  Makes me feel ill and like crying.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I did the run for him.  

He was former LE but most recently worked as an investigator for DAs office.  I am pretty sure that is right.  But yes, good ole boys.  

On 5/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, SquirrellyMama said:

Where I live it would be illegal, yes. there are laws about storing a gun properly and securely. No responsible gun owner would leave one in an unlocked vehicle like that...but then a lot of gun owners are not responsible. 

• Like 1