Menu

What are features that attract you to a blog site?

I'm just interested in knowing what kinds of features, posts, etc. attract you to a blog site. For example, is it the way the person writes? Is it the layout of the blog? Do you appreciate that they focus completely on homeschooling or do you like more variety? I'm a newbie blogger and just curious.

It's usually the writing style that will keep me coming back. I also like variety - not everything needs to be homeschool related. Humor is always good. I enjoy pictures, but like them if they add to whatever is being written about and/or are very clear pictures. I think what you have done with yours is very nice.

I would say humor. The blogs I like the most are the ones that can find humor in everyday life. I think it's important to be able to laugh at some of what happens as a homeschooling family. There are often days when I have had enough of this that I go on a couple of blogs that make me laugh about everyday homeschooling things and I feel much better. It always makes me know I'm not the only one dealing with life's difficult moments and also reminds me to find the humor in my life.

HTH

Melissa

Realness! I hate bloggers who always make la-la, airy-fairy, we're-so-completely-perfect-all-the-time posts. Life just isn't like that all the time. I want nitty-gritty real -- the downs as well as the ups.

The next most important thing (once I find a blog I like) is that it is updated regularly -- at least 2-3 posts a week. Dead blogs are boring.

I like a visually interesting blog. I think mine may be getting a bit too cluttered, but the pictures all give insight into who I am.

As far as the content I enjoy reading in others' blogs, I love a sharp wit, dry humor, intelligence, and sarcasm. I prefer blogs about life in general, not strictly homeschooling. I like reading blogs of other secular homeschoolers. I really like the layout of Jessica's blog. (triviumacademy) She has the three-column style, but her center section expands depending on the width of your monitor. I think it's called "floating" when it does that. I can't, however, figure out how to make mine do that. :confused:

I can't stand reading the three column blogs. Just looking at one makes me want to go purge closets and straighten drawers. They are too cluttered for me!

A good blog, worthy of return visits must have good writing, either witty or deep; nice visuals; and some connecection to me personaly: either someone I know irl, someone who I have come to know online, someone I wish to learn from in order to grow as a person, or someone who touches me deeply with their posts.

That said, if my best friend created a three column blog, I'm there.;)

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place

Well, I started finally blogging because my family wanted me to. I'm mostly attracted to really incredible writing (i.e. Holy Experience) and like-minded individuals (fairly normal occurance, I would assume). That said, I love a visually appealing blog and it is fun to check out blogs of folks who are incredibly different from myself. I love hearing what you all enjoy! Guess I'm sticking to a 2 column blog for now.

Happy Birthday, Daisy.

If you're still interested, I like blogs that seem real to me - I like to read blogs and think, I'd like to be her neighbor. I don't like blogs that are preachy (in any sense of the word) - if you're that smart, write a book and make money, but don't tell me what to do. (Does that make sense?)

Like others have said, I don't enjoy blogs where the posts are infrequent. What it comes down to is that I like to hear about real people living real lives and not apologizing for it. I like reading about ALL kinds of lives - not just ones like mine.

Jessica, I think your blog is lovely and easy to read. Personally, I don't read your blog because we don't have much in common - my kids are older and I feel like I've btdt. You seem secure in your choices and aren't looking for input. I think you have a big audience out there, they just have to find you (or vice versa). I like your three-column format and everything else about how your blog looks.

Yeah I had to stop seeking so much input and just go with what I feel led by God to do and what seems right for my kids- I'm sort of head-strong. Lol. You made me laugh about the big audience, I'm a google search blog. Search for something about classical education and my blog shows up somewhere in the mix.

No need to apologize for not reading my blog, not a biggie- I just wanted to see if it was aesthetically pleasing to Percy with her discriminating tastes.

A lot of what others have said. I like real, funny, touching, pictures, not preachy, not too rambling, variety, regularity of posting, not too cluttered visually, easy to find content.

Things I really have trouble with are those that are extremely rambling -- telling minute details of every second of every day. Those are hard for me to read. I like to feel like I am coming in and having a good laugh (or cry) and a nice cup of tea with a friend. I like being able to learn something occasionally. I like recipe and craft sharing. They feel homey and friendly. I like good senses of humor talking about real life (not some glossy version). I like being able to easily find where things are regarding those recipes (or schooling help).

So there! That's some of what is appealing (or not) to me.

Wow, Melissa, and you read my blog!! I'm flattered.

Those are actually the things I look for too though in a new blog if I don't know the person already. Some of the people I do know, I enjoy reading their blogs to get to know them better. I like ones where their personalities shine through. I never knew some of my friends were so funny! I don't like the preachy ones either.

I don't read many blogs. I tend to go for "authorities" - authors of homeschooling and/or parenting books, leaders (or wives of leaders) in the church, etc.

I also like blogs that have craft project directions, details about their homeschool life (currciulum, links, lists), and book reviews.

I definitely prefer two columns.

I mostly like blogs with a little homeschooling stuff and a lot of family stuff. Humor is good, as are lots of pictures and frequent updates. The blogs I read most often are the ones where the writer reveals enough about her family and herself that I feel like I'm going to visit a real friend. In terms of format, I find three column blogs hard to read.

The writing style and layout matter a lot to me. I probably wouldn't read an "all about homeschooling" blog to be quite honest. It would bore me to tears. I read and keep a blog to escape the ordinary. Homeschooling is ordinary (not that it's not wonderful, don't get me wrong!) and therefore something I don't need to really "escape to" on the web. I might visit a good homeschooling specific blog off and on when I feel I need inspiration or a boost or some ideas but on a daily basis, I would not go to any blog about a single topic (unless that single topic is an interesting/funny person's life or unless it was about something I'm passionate about like photography or web design.) :^D

I like blogs with a theme: business, crafts, writing, gardening, quilting, etc. I rarely ever read someone's homeschool blog. I guess my last remaining child is too old for me to be very interested in all the details of other people's kiddoes schooling. BTDT.

I do like someone to post regularly, but I do not like them to post every day. I'm too busy to keep up with that, so I feel behind all the time. Love photos! Especially artsy, creative ones.

I want encouragement. I want to learn something. I want to participate in a conversation of sorts about things that those closest to me care little about or maybe they do, but I still want to get a new perspective from someone else.

My blog is only a few months old. In that time, I've learned it is both more fun and more work than I anticipated. But very satisfying. I like it when someone comments that I've moved them to action or inspired them.

• 1 month later...

I like *real* blogs. I appreciate when people talk about life and all its imperfections. I can see right through the 'my life is a bowl of cherries'. I tend to shy away from preachy ones, too - also in all its meanings. I love funny moms. Give me a blogger with a sense of humor and I will show you a dedicated reader. I also tend to read blogs that are about preemies, since I work in NICU Family Support. It is my hobby, so to speak.

As for two or three columns - I design blogs, so I am opinionated about this. Having 2 columns is easier on the eyes, but no one likes a long, trailing, mile-long sidebar. In that case, having 3 provides balance. OTOH, empty sidebars are just not aesthetically pleasing. If you don't have enough to fill two sidebars, gracious... just have one.

I have two blogs. One has 3 columns (http://3boybarians.blogspot.com/) and one has 2 (http://graphicallydesigning.blogspot.com/).

I have found that Bloggers tend to be happier with their blog when they like how it looks. When you take the time to personalize your space, invest your time and effort into your blog, it shows your readers you care about your blog. And when your blog has personality, your readership increases. Not that readership means everything, but it sure can be encouraging.

SO the short version:

personality, real, funny, # of sidebars is arbitrary.