Menu

Activities for 12 year old boy...

I would love to hear what your 12 year old (or around that age) boys enjoy doing in their free time that can be done alone and at home.

Trying to come up with some hobby ideas for DS. He already has enough outside activities, takes karate, rides bike, etc. I need things he can do on his own (he's an only child) and at home during days we don't have anything scheduled.

He has no particular interests at the moment, other than the usual 12 year old boy fascination with video games and computer time. He does like action, scary/gross stuff, and silly humor. You know, boy stuff!

Michelle T

Some things they enjoy:

Reading

Building structures with K'Nex, Kapla blocks, Straws and Connectors, Legos, Snap Circuits, Erector Set

Building real things like birdhouse kits, book shelves, or whatever (if we didn't move so much I'd have a pile of scrap lumber along with appropriate real tools and let them have at it)

DS comes up with "secret codes" and writes messages

DS has a rock collection and every once in a while he'll get out his rocks and minerals field guide and try to identify them-he also has a rock tumbler

Bird Watching with binoculars and field guide

Playing with Sculpey clay

Drawing in their sketch books

Working on books they are each writing

Doing extra chores for cash

My 13 year old DS likes to draw, work on programming in JAVA, build with Legos, including the NXT bot, and play World of Warcraft. He communicates with his cousins on WoW. We also have size 1 soccer balls around the house that everyone uses to practice our soccer moves. His art is important to him. I think soon the art and computer programming will merge.

my ds is 14. He takes drums and likes to practice. He has an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar that he plays with on his own. He really is not talented with music, but does enjoy spending his time playing the instruments. I think he still plays with legos too. When he was 12, he was still heavily involved with legos. He enjoys java programming at school, but he doesn't do it at home.

My ds is an only as well. It gets hard because he doesn't like to play alone. We have a big yard and he has two bb guns that he is allowed to shoot with minimal supervision.

We have a musical keyboard with pre-programmed music and sounds and he likes to make up sounds, the one that sounds like barfing is his favorite. (go figure)

He draws a lot, uses Legos, watches behind the scenes of the Star Wars movies.

Have you considered something like a tinker box, with all kind of things to engineer. Ds recently figured out to get his tiny remote control car to pull a larger plastic vehicle.

We are also buying one of those heavy duty puching bags for family use. I think that would be helpful just to let off steam.

I struggle with this too. We don't have a car during the day so our choices are limited to what we can do at home. I'll be watching this thread too, I can always use some good ideas.

My newly 12yo DS likes to shoot hoops, practice target shooting with his new ginormous dart gun, play the piano, color in Dover coloring books ["Mom, I need more coloring books of people fighting."], bake cookies, cook lunch, build with Lego, read fantasy novels [suggested by the ladies here], watch movies/cartoons as much as he's allowed to, make Mad Libs, watch science and history tv shows, read the sports section of the newspaper, talk sports with his Dad, write letters to his pen pal [though this is tapering off], do extra chores to earn money.

His latest project was to make up ridiculous fortunes for his sugar cookies. He wrote these on strips of paper and taped them around the decorated cookies.

"What were you expecting? A fortune? Buzz off!"

"The love of your life will be happy and harmonious, and also fat and bald."

"You will fall in love with the hobo across the street."

"You will become a great mime, after you become dumb."

"I like ketchup!"

Mine's not an "only," but he enjoys making movies, too. He writes the stories (with his sister), films them with toys or Folkmanis puppets, and then edits them on the computer. He adds a soundtrack, credits, and everything, and then puts them on DVD's for friends and family. He also likes to draw and play the piano, and look at all of the big books of Star Wars stuff---droids, planets, vehicles, etc. Those have been good for YEARS of interest here!

HTH...

reading, drawing

designing a flying car (don't ask...)

Legos

soccer, kicking ball--one person game

basketball, biking, hiking,riding scooter

making movies (again, don't ask...!)

climbing trees

shooting Nerf guns

occasionally doing extra chores for cash

DD,11, enjoys:

playing guitar