Menu

@ Home PE Recommendations? Your Favorites!

vonbon

Hello Awesome Boardies!

What are some of your favorite ideas for working out at home that include all ages (adults + kids)?  

Our goal is to get 1-2 hours exercise / day, and I'm looking for ideas to keep things fresh and fun.  Our local parks, state parks, playgrounds, etc., are shut down, so bike rides, hikes, and the like aren't great options right now.  Classes + sports leagues across the country are cancelled...  What are your best ideas to keep couch potato tendencies at bay during the lockdown?  

Any favorite YouTube channels with workout videos that work for both kids and adults?  Any favorite free curriculum / websites with great ideas?  What is your family doing to get out (or stay in) and get moving?

We’ve been doing walks I just downloaded an app today that keeps track of mileage and routes just to make it a little more fun. I’ve also done yoga videos. I like Yoga with Adrienne. She has a lot of videos. I’ve only done a few beginner ones and a back pain one. 

• Like 1

yoga - yoga with Adrienne on youtube.

pilates

if you can order a rebounder/mini-tramp

resistance bands

can you walk?  my street is part of a path system - and I've seen a lot of people walking.  sometimes with kids, sometimes with dogs. never more than a family group (adult/child) at most.

• Like 1

We live in the country and walk everyday...sometimes drag brush into piles to burn off and that sort of outdoor work...garden...

I'm trying to get 2 miles walking in everyday, but, to be honest, the kids are not as motivated to do the same route over-and-over.  I didn't realize how much our activities throughout the week easily built in more exercise until our schedule changed to being exclusively at home!

I've devised a rewards system for working out and I think 2 hours / day would help everyone sleep better and feel more energized, but, as the days go on, it's seeming harder to get an hour's worth.  If I don't *make* everyone get out and get moving, it doesn't happen.  So...looking for ways to make working out fun and interesting!

Thought about getting a rebounder--

We are currently doing a rotation.  1/the exercises posted in the recent PE thread, 2/ an online Kempo video course, 3/trampoline.  The person do the exercises is the timer so as we increase the level on that we will increase the overall time.  At the moment it is about 25 mins but I want to get it up to 45.  In the afternoon we walk.  I have to get ds10 doing his ballet and tap done most days next week too.  Ds13 will have to do some gardening or something.

• Like 1

I am watching this thread with great interest.  We live in an apartment and are confined to 100 meters from the house.  The kids have been kicking a ball around in the driveway downstairs while I jog back and forth.  We also walk/scooter around (and around and around) the block.  I try to get them to race sometimes.

It is not nearly enough exercise for anyone, though, and with every passing day I have to push harder to get them out the door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am watching this thread with great interest.  We live in an apartment and are confined to 100 meters from the house.  The kids have been kicking a ball around in the driveway downstairs while I jog back and forth.  We also walk/scooter around (and around and around) the block.  I try to get them to race sometimes.

It is not nearly enough exercise for anyone, though, and with every passing day I have to push harder to get them out the door.

When we were kids we had to do PE on the tennis courts in the winter.  We did 2 minutes each of 10 or so exercises - I remember sit ups, press ups, side bends, knee bends, skipping plus others.  You could set up that on your driveway.  I would advise mats though as from memory sit ups on concrete aren't very comfortable 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vonbon said:

We live in the country and walk everyday...sometimes drag brush into piles to burn off and that sort of outdoor work...garden...

I'm trying to get 2 miles walking in everyday, but, to be honest, the kids are not as motivated to do the same route over-and-over.  I didn't realize how much our activities throughout the week easily built in more exercise until our schedule changed to being exclusively at home!

I've devised a rewards system for working out and I think 2 hours / day would help everyone sleep better and feel more energized, but, as the days go on, it's seeming harder to get an hour's worth.  If I don't *make* everyone get out and get moving, it doesn't happen.  So...looking for ways to make working out fun and interesting!

Thought about getting a rebounder--

I'm not sure the ages of your dc. I think that 2 hours/day of structured PE is over-kill for anyone, but certainly young children. If you live in the country, do you have outdoor options for free-play, such as tree forts, wooded areas, grassy areas, dirt hills, etc.?  

If you remove distractions (electronics), enforce outdoor time, provide some play equipment (e.g., balls, racquets, ropes), and there is space, children can come up with all kinds of games and play for hours. 

You can add in obstacle courses and games 'courts' if there are specific exercises and sports they enjoy. We have a basketball net, hockey net, and badminton net (with equipment) that we rotate through depending on the dc's interest and time of year. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm not sure the ages of your dc. I think that 2 hours/day of structured PE is over-kill for anyone, but certainly young children. If you live in the country, do you have outdoor options for free-play, such as tree forts, wooded areas, grassy areas, dirt hills, etc.?  

If you remove distractions (electronics), enforce outdoor time, provide some play equipment (e.g., balls, racquets, ropes), and there is space, children can come up with all kinds of games and play for hours. 

You can add in obstacle courses and games 'courts' if there are specific exercises and sports they enjoy. We have a basketball net, hockey net, and badminton net (with equipment) that we rotate through depending on the dc's interest and time of year. 

I agree with this. I would be stressed trying to do 2 hrs of structured time with the kids but with the weather being nice we easily hit that much outside time. We live in a rural area and have a largish yard- we have 7 acres and are surrounded by national forest. Mine have been doing a lot of yard work with me, raking, picking up sticks, gardening, washing the fence, trimming trees. We also do walking and adventuring in the woods. I also agree if you ban electronics they will be bored at first but then find something to do. Fly kites (and maybe making them can be a project), building "forts", playing with pets, hunting for lizards and snakes.

We still have some areas we can go to but most of our outdoors time is right around the house, seems there are neverending things we need to do.

• Like 2

Thanks for the ideas!  I'll add some of these into what we're doing!

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I believe it is Brandy Vencel who has a great Swedish drill program with videos and a workbook.  That is very self contained and inexpensive but thorough 😉

I'd been looking for good info on Swedish Drill but came up empty. Thanks!

These sound too fun...looking them up!:

4 hours ago, HeighHo said:

Walk, bike, pickleball, kickball, four square, trash can bball, jump rope, hop scotch, obstacle course

So the issue isn't boredom / screens.  We're keeping a good academic schedule and doing a lot of of work, creative projects, etc....it's just not as physical as it had been.  We don't use electronics other than the occasional show; my kids rarely ask because they're always busy with something generated by their own interests. 

They're old enough to be getting at least an hour of exercise / day; I think ideally, since we're not getting out to the various errands, social things we normally do, they could easily stand 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the afternoon.  Bodies were made to move!  🙂  I think I might just have people who prefer indoor activities and pursuits...plenty of space and stuff available outside...I just might need to enforce being out, or it doesn't naturally happen.

Great ideas to add to our rotation--thanks!

8 hours ago, kiwik said:

We are currently doing a rotation.  1/the exercises posted in the recent PE thread, 2/ an online Kempo video course, 3/trampoline.  The person do the exercises is the timer so as we increase the level on that we will increase the overall time.  At the moment it is about 25 mins but I want to get it up to 45.  In the afternoon we walk.  I have to get ds10 doing his ballet and tap done most days next week too.  Ds13 will have to do some gardening or something.

I thought I was up on all the threads!  I'll have to track this one down!  🙂  Thanks!

Edited by vonbon
typo