Menu

Grocery store pick up service newbie questions

MEmama

So all of a sudden I am completely freaked out by the idea of going grocery shopping. My local grocery suspended pick up service until just a day or two ago, but now it’s back and I want in! 

How does this usually work? It’s a Hannaford, in case that means anything to anyone. I signed up and put stuff in my cart online, but now what? They only have slots available a day in advance, so hopefully my habit of waking early will be put to good use. But do I check out now, pay, and then hope for a pick up time? Or sign up for a time slot and then pay? Idk why I can’t figure it out.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Do they have a help page, or any place where they explain the process?

I have done Walmart pickup, so I have no illusions it's the same as your store. But, when I check out, I pick a delivery time. I pay then, but the funds are not charged immediately. I have until early morning (like 1 am early) on the day of my pickup to make changes. Then, they email  me with any items they don't have, and list any substitutions.  I can reject or accept subs, either ahead of time or at the time of pickup.  After the pickup is complete and I have signed for my items, they email me a receipt.

I'ts very easy so I hope your store is easy too! I had been having trouble scheduling a pickup but last night I did it shortly after midnight.

At the same time, I did my  first Instacart order, now that was stressful to me!  I wish I'd had a tutorial on exactly how to deal with that. And again, could not get a delivery time for days and days, till I tried right after midnight.

• Like 1

all the ones I've used( which is a grand total of 3), won't let you check out for pickup until you have time slot.  So have your cart ready and then submit the order once you see they have openings.  For us, new openings are released at midnight so personally I'd try to stay up late to get that order in rather than trying to get up early and risk them all gone during the night.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

all the ones I've used( which is a grand total of 3), won't let you check out for pickup until you have time slot.  So have your cart ready and then submit the order once you see they have openings.  For us, new openings are released at midnight so personally I'd try to stay up late to get that order in rather than trying to get up early and risk them all gone during the night.

Oh that makes sense. I’m afraid to hit check out without knowing what will happen next. 

14 minutes ago, MEmama said:

So all of a sudden I am completely freaked out by the idea of going grocery shopping. My local grocery suspended pick up service until just a day or two ago, but now it’s back and I want in! 

How does this usually work? It’s a Hannaford, in case that means anything to anyone. I signed up and put stuff in my cart online, but now what? They only have slots available a day in advance, so hopefully my habit of waking early will be put to good use. But do I check out now, pay, and then hope for a pick up time? Or sign up for a time slot and then pay? Idk why I can’t figure it out.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

I have been using Wal-Mart pick up for about 6 months.  It took a few times to get the hang of it, but now so many of my regular items are listed as favorites and I just go clickety click so fast.  

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

I have been using Wal-Mart pick up for about 6 months.  It took a few times to get the hang of it, but now so many of my regular items are listed as favorites and I just go clickety click so fast.  

I was amazed at how many items are actually available! I can see how it would become simple, as soon as I get past this initial hurdle. Lol.

Okay, thanks. I just tried to check out but since there aren’t time slots available it won’t let me actually pay yet. Phew! I passed the hurdle! Lol. Thanks, all ( and for not making me feel as silly as I feel)! 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Okay, thanks. I just tried to check out but since there aren’t time slots available it won’t let me actually pay yet. Phew! I passed the hurdle! Lol. Thanks, all ( and for not making me feel as silly as I feel)! 🙂

Don't feel silly!  It can be stressful.  I was practically crying last night trying to figure out how to do the Instacart thing. And then figuring the tip. Blah blah.

And then today for my work I had a zoom meeting and the instructions given were not specific enough for me and I was practiclaly in tears getting ready for that. And then the meeting host muted everyone but then opened it up for questions and I did not know how to unmute. This is stuff normal people can just do but I was ready to cry.

(Maybe I am also tired.) (Maybe lots of us are.)

• Sad 2

They still aren't doing grocery pick up at all the Hannafords near me.   And we have a tiny, busy Hannaford, and it's been very stressful.   The governor told everyone to get pick-up and delivery, and that's nice and I would,  but the options are just not super available here even in normal times.   Even though we live in the most populated area.  Hopefully it's different where you are.

I did try Walmart.   It was not easy to get a slot.  And I will say, you aren't necessarily going to get what you put in your cart, even when you submit your order.   Walmart doesn't "save" the item for you, and my guess is Hannaford doesn't either.  I think I read on their website, and you should check, but they aren't doing returns right now and I'm not sure if they are going to let you approve substitutions either.

Don't feel silly, I was stressed out about it when I tried it too.   We're all having to adjust to so many new things right now, so quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marbel said:

Don't feel silly!  It can be stressful.  I was practically crying last night trying to figure out how to do the Instacart thing. And then figuring the tip. Blah blah.

And then today for my work I had a zoom meeting and the instructions given were not specific enough for me and I was practiclaly in tears getting ready for that. And then the meeting host muted everyone but then opened it up for questions and I did not know how to unmute. This is stuff normal people can just do but I was ready to cry.

(Maybe I am also tired.) (Maybe lots of us are.)

Yes, I agree we are all tired. Even on days I try to not look at the news, it’s all just *too much*. I have also ended up in tears over things that normally wouldn’t faze me or that I could power through. These are not normal times, alas.

Yesterday DS had me help him with an English assignment. It took me SO long to read it and actually comprehend what I was reading. He did a really good job, it was all me. I feel like my brain is working at like 30%. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Yes, I agree we are all tired. Even on days I try to not look at the news, it’s all just *too much*. I have also ended up in tears over things that normally wouldn’t faze me or that I could power through. These are not normal times, alas.

Yesterday DS had me help him with an English assignment. It took me SO long to read it and actually comprehend what I was reading. He did a really good job, it was all me. I feel like my brain is working at like 30%. 

My college kids seem to be doing way better than I am in many ways.  They are more adaptable and are more used to electronic communications, for one thing.  I mean, they are not happy to be back home after being away at school for several months, no doubt about that. But they can go with the flow a lot better.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zebra said:

They still aren't doing grocery pick up at all the Hannafords near me.   And we have a tiny, busy Hannaford, and it's been very stressful.   The governor told everyone to get pick-up and delivery, and that's nice and I would,  but the options are just not super available here even in normal times.   Even though we live in the most populated area.  Hopefully it's different where you are.

I did try Walmart.   It was not easy to get a slot.  And I will say, you aren't necessarily going to get what you put in your cart, even when you submit your order.   Walmart doesn't "save" the item for you, and my guess is Hannaford doesn't either.  I think I read on their website, and you should check, but they aren't doing returns right now and I'm not sure if they are going to let you approve substitutions either.

Don't feel silly, I was stressed out about it when I tried it too.   We're all having to adjust to so many new things right now, so quickly.

Thank you. 
I think ours just started back up maybe yesterday; I did see that some still aren’t doing pick up but hopefully will be soon?
Its okay if they don’t have everything. At this point I’m just topping off proteins and perishables, nothing is super essential. I figured there would be a time that I no longer feel like it’s safe enough to go out at all. Idk if I’m just having an emotional week or if there’s something to it, but I'm all of a sudden feeling like now is that time. Ugh.

33 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I think ours just started back up maybe yesterday; I did see that some still aren’t doing pick up but hopefully will be soon?
Its okay if they don’t have everything. At this point I’m just topping off proteins and perishables, nothing is super essential. I figured there would be a time that I no longer feel like it’s safe enough to go out at all. Idk if I’m just having an emotional week or if there’s something to it, but I'm all of a sudden feeling like now is that time. Ugh.

I haven't done Hannaford pickup yet, but I got my first Shaw's home delivery on Monday! I made my list on the Shaw's website and the delivery day was 5 days out. That was fine with me so I made a gigantic list. Like magic, a delivery person brought everything to my doorstep on Monday evening. I had made a "thank you!" sign and she smiled and waved 🙂 I got almost everything on my list, with a few substitutions. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mainer said:

I haven't done Hannaford pickup yet, but I got my first Shaw's home delivery on Monday! I made my list on the Shaw's website and the delivery day was 5 days out. That was fine with me so I made a gigantic list. Like magic, a delivery person brought everything to my doorstep on Monday evening. I had made a "thank you!" sign and she smiled and waved 🙂 I got almost everything on my list, with a few substitutions. 

Oh, I don’t often shop at Shaw’s so I hadn't considered them! They actually deliver?! I think I’ll check out our local store and see if dates are available. I’m not in a hurry for anything. 
Thanks! Also, I love your idea of making a thank you sign. Hope you don’t mind if I steal the idea! 🙂 

(adding, I just left a thank you note for our Friday night gelato delivery! 🙂 )

Just now, MEmama said:

Oh, I don’t often shop at Shaw’s so I hadn't considered them! They actually deliver?! I think I’ll check out our local store and see if dates are available. I’m not in a hurry for anything. 
Thanks! Also, I love your idea of making a thank you sign. Hope you don’t mind if I steal the idea! 🙂 

(adding, I just left a thank you note for our Friday night gelato delivery! 🙂 )

Of course, use the idea! I think I'll make a sign for my mail carrier.

Yes, Shaw's actually delivers! I usually never go in there because I hate it... it's always so dark and yucky compared to Hannaford. But I've changed my tune, because home delivery is really fantastic. A coworker turned me on to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainer said:

Of course, use the idea! I think I'll make a sign for my mail carrier.

Yes, Shaw's actually delivers! I usually never go in there because I hate it... it's always so dark and yucky compared to Hannaford. But I've changed my tune, because home delivery is really fantastic. A coworker turned me on to it. 

Ha ha—I feel that way too! But I can definitely change my mind for delivery! 

I make crazy big food orders and get about 1/2 of what I order. 
To improve my odds I order a 2 pound bag of flour and a five pound bag and hope I get at least one. I also order the same item from different brands and cross my fingers.

I shop at King Soopers and they put a hold on credit card then charge me after I pickup.

• Like 1

Well idk what they mean by “early morning” but I’ve been checking the website since 3am (yeah, I’m anxious) and the slots for tomorrow have been completely full. So I guess I’ll set my alarm for midnight and hope for better luck. 🤞

Edited by MEmama

So, I know this isn't what you asked...

I had decided that I was just going to do Walmart pick-up from now on.    Because I live in the populated/high Covid area of the state, and can't do Hannaford or Shaws unless I drive 30+ minutes (even if I could find a slot there!).    I haven't been able to find a Walmart slot for days, so I just finally had give in and to go to Hannaford today.   

I was a little nervous, and it was not bad AT ALL.    The new protocols they put in place are making it MUCH easier, must less stressful.   I am thrilled they are finally organizing things.   Because my Hannaford has been a little bit chaotic for the past few weeks which was one of the reasons I didn't want to go back.    

My Hannaford is only allowed to have 50 customers at a time.  They closed one entrance.   They have grocery carts lined up with a rope so that you know how far to stand apart, while you are waiting in a line outside.   The guy at the door was ushering a person in every time someone came out, and sanitizing all the carts.   There are shields in front of the cashiers.   The check-out line has stickers every 6 feet to stand on, and they flash their light when they are ready for you to come to their register.   There was sort of a calm over the whole place.  It was honestly very comforting.   Things didn't feel frantic like they had.  They were mostly well stocked, maybe 25% less of some things like milk and not the exact brand you want.   But they had every kind of milk.   I got everything on my list.   Obvious things like flour and hand sanitizer were completely gone.   But they had canned beans, and frozen veggies and even a small amount of toilet paper.   The last three weeks they haven't had those things.   Many employees and customers were wearing masks, and everyone was really trying to stay 6 feet apart.

I was glad I went and I feel better about the whole situation for the time being.   I actually think it would be nice if they organized the place like this permanently!   I probably waited in line 10 minutes to get in, and 10 minutes before I checked out.   

I thought maybe telling you my experience might make you feel better if you end up needing to go out.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zebra said:

So, I know this isn't what you asked...

I had decided that I was just going to do Walmart pick-up from now on.    Because I live in the populated/high Covid area of the state, and can't do Hannaford or Shaws unless I drive 30+ minutes (even if I could find a slot there!).    I haven't been able to find a Walmart slot for days, so I just finally had give in and to go to Hannaford today.   

I was a little nervous, and it was not bad AT ALL.    The new protocols they put in place are making it MUCH easier, must less stressful.   I am thrilled they are finally organizing things.   Because my Hannaford has been a little bit chaotic for the past few weeks which was one of the reasons I didn't want to go back.    

My Hannaford is only allowed to have 50 customers at a time.  They closed one entrance.   They have grocery carts lined up with a rope so that you know how far to stand apart, while you are waiting in a line outside.   The guy at the door was ushering a person in every time someone came out, and sanitizing all the carts.   There are shields in front of the cashiers.   The check-out line has stickers every 6 feet to stand on, and they flash their light when they are ready for you to come to their register.   There was sort of a calm over the whole place.  It was honestly very comforting.   Things didn't feel frantic like they had.  They were mostly well stocked, maybe 25% less of some things like milk and not the exact brand you want.   But they had every kind of milk.   I got everything on my list.   Obvious things like flour and hand sanitizer were completely gone.   But they had canned beans, and frozen veggies and even a small amount of toilet paper.   The last three weeks they haven't had those things.   Many employees and customers were wearing masks, and everyone was really trying to stay 6 feet apart.

I was glad I went and I feel better about the whole situation for the time being.   I actually think it would be nice if they organized the place like this permanently!   I probably waited in line 10 minutes to get in, and 10 minutes before I checked out.   

I thought maybe telling you my experience might make you feel better if you end up needing to go out.

Thank you! It is helpful to hear about the changes. I am honesty impressed they’ve been able to do so much so quickly. 

We are still hoping to get on the pick up list. Our Hannaford is only doing time slots one day in advance. I took the advice from here and woke up at midnight to try to get in, but the system crashed and I was too exhausted to stay up very long to keep trying.  DH actually got up around 1am and tried—he lucked out with one available slot, but by the time he woke me up for the password, it had closed. Ugh. So we will try again tonight. I can’t really believe so many people in my town know this trick and are willing to be awake at midnight! Lol.

If we can’t make it happen tonight, I might just need to go in person. We did find a smaller grocery in a nearby town that delivers and DH placed an order we’ll get on Friday. It might be mostly for beer. Ahem. 😉 

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I can’t really believe so many people in my town know this trick and are willing to be awake at midnight! Lol.

I'm a night owl so that is part of it but I can't remember the last time I went to bed before midnight, probably the last time I was sick.  Sleeping at midnight is going to bed early in my world.  Actually half my family is the same way so any one of us would have no problem staying up to put an order in.  But I can still relate because I'm struggling to get an pick up slot for Aldi.   So far it seems like they release them for the week on Sunday.  So I checked at midnight, nothing, I checked at 1 AM. nothing, I checked at 1:30 still nothing so I went to bed.  At 8:30 this morning I saw 1 opening at   store an hour away.  So I suspect they are releasing them sometime early in the morning (and my 8:30 which feels very early to me is far too late).  I suspect I'm going to have to set an alarm for some awful morning hour next Sunday to try and find a spot.  But who knows maybe I'm completely wrong and I'll get up and still not get a slot.  Either way it's so frustrating.  The amount of effort I have to spend each week to acquire groceries far supercedes the effort I ever spent in a normal week running ALL my errands.  Good luck, I hope the grocery ordering works well for you tonight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I'm a night owl so that is part of it but I can't remember the last time I went to bed before midnight, probably the last time I was sick.  Sleeping at midnight is going to bed early in my world.  Actually half my family is the same way so any one of us would have no problem staying up to put an order in.  But I can still relate because I'm struggling to get an pick up slot for Aldi.   So far it seems like they release them for the week on Sunday.  So I checked at midnight, nothing, I checked at 1 AM. nothing, I checked at 1:30 still nothing so I went to bed.  At 8:30 this morning I saw 1 opening at   store an hour away.  So I suspect they are releasing them sometime early in the morning (and my 8:30 which feels very early to me is far too late).  I suspect I'm going to have to set an alarm for some awful morning hour next Sunday to try and find a spot.  But who knows maybe I'm completely wrong and I'll get up and still not get a slot.  Either way it's so frustrating.  The amount of effort I have to spend each week to acquire groceries far supercedes the effort I ever spent in a normal week running ALL my errands.  Good luck, I hope the grocery ordering works well for you tonight.

It didn’t go well. 😞 I’m sooo tired! 
I think I’m going to have to go out this morning after all. Booooo.

Good luck with yours! I couldn’t have imagined that getting groceries would feel like winning the lottery. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Good luck with yours! I couldn’t have imagined that getting groceries would feel like winning the lottery. 

Ugh! Sorry! My Shaw's isn't delivering anymore either. I'm going to have to get a pickup slot somehow... ugh.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I'm sorry.  Grocery shopping has become so much work now.  I have so many people on my facebook page saying how they have all this free time and I'm like lucky you.  I spend way too much time just trying to acquire food each week.  Of course if you are only feeding 1 or 2 people it might not be so bad.  I'm in charge of my 8, plus my parents plus my sister.  3 households means lots of food and lots of different items and if I don't specify substitutes for every single item, who knows what they will stick in.  I'm glad some people like online ordering/delivery but I for one can't wait to be able to go do my own shopping again (yes I know technically I could do it now, but it's not wise for my family's situation)

• Like 2

Ok, I braved the real world. It was every bit as organised as Zebra's experience; thanks again for sharing because it really gave me confidence.

The store was STOCKED. I literally found everything on my (lengthy) list. I’d say 75-80% of shoppers were masked, and almost everyone tried to give space. The only people who noticeably didn’t try were people without any protection, and employees. There were SO many people working.

I wore gloves and a super thick, fleece lined buff folded over and tucked into my jacket. Wearing it over my hat kept it from sliding down and weirdly the whole ridiculous getup kept my glasses from slipping so I was never tempted to touch around my eyes. Incredibly I didn’t feel silly, I guess it helped to be in good company.

I feel like a grocery warrior! Lol

Edited by MEmama
Removed photo
  • Like 3