Menu

April 2020 Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

It's a beautiful, sunny day! Just finished playing volleyball with my boys for nearly an hour. I must be getting in shape for this game. Or maybe I won't be able to move in a little bit. 😂 It's my birthday, so we are taking a little break from school to play outside. We tried out some badminton, and next is tennis.

Happy Birthday lady, hope it is a wonderful one!

____________________-

quick pop in. I went for a grocery pick up this am and it threw off my whole schedule. I'm only going every 2 weeks and a family of 6 there was a lot which then of course had to be put up. I went directly after teaching this am so I would have a better chance of things being in stock and I fared well. 

No exercise yet since my schedule got all wonky, wouldn't be so bad but I slept horribly last night. I went to bed late (for me) and that always throws me off. I think I'll do lunch and a nap and then try to tackle the rest of my day 🙂 

lunch this week: Copycat Panera Baja Grain Bowl: Mix of Quinoa and Rice, Lemon Garlic Chicken, Corn and Black Beans(they have a corn and black bean salsa but I prefer then separate), Salsa Verde, Chopped Tomatoes, Feta Cheese + NF GreeK yogurt

Oh, and I purchased a workout program. It is one I'd been planning on buying that was supposed to release in June but came out early today (and on sale). By the same lady as the pull-up program I did but for push-ups. It is things I can do at home but a great variety and well-rounded. So, there is my workout splurge 🙂 So, do I go ahead and finish what I was working on or go ahead and jump in. Probably jump in as I'm so impatient but we'll see 🙂

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

It's a beautiful, sunny day! Just finished playing volleyball with my boys for nearly an hour. I must be getting in shape for this game. Or maybe I won't be able to move in a little bit. 😂 It's my birthday, so we are taking a little break from school to play outside. We tried out some badminton, and next is tennis.

happy birthday!

• Like 1

I am procrastinating because I have a very tedious task at work and no motivation since I am still ahead of schedule.

Did an hour walk with DH yesterday after it stopped raining. Fed us yummy vegan grain bowl with peanut dressing and lots of veggies for lunch. Now I wish I could nap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I broke through some procrastination at work: stress always leads to procrastination with me. The task sits there on my desk like a big toad and I just can't bear to pick it up.

Nice slow walk with Husband at lunchtime; I plan some hard yoga in a few minutes. Husband is cooking smoked haddock for supper and then Hobbes and I are going to sit down to watch Twelfth Night before it is removed from the site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aig5ObghHS4

Great job tackling the dreaded tasks! I hate paperwork and tend to put it off way too long. I've got a bill to call about now, stupid hospital keeps screwing it up.

21 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I really love your food journal. I am going to borrow some of your salad ideas too. I am very much a box thinker about salads. I've even been cooking the lettuce even after washing it for fear of that stupid virus. I bought dandelions since people were talking about how great wild dandelions are here. Our lawn is very much one that is smothered in chemicals, so no good eating the "weeds" there, so I have ordered some in the grocery and going to have a salad for dinner today. Thank you.

OH, I'm not inventive at all on my own! Here is the recipe that I tweaked for my own tasteshttps://www.theendlessmeal.com/asian-salad-recipe/print/25264/. Mostly I used the dressing and then had grated red cabbage, carrot, green onion, and rice + quinoa. Oh, and mandarin oranges. 

On 4/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, wintermom said:

@soror  Sounds like your painting is coming along great! It is so much grunt work. I've been avoiding my next painting project; the stairs. It's more fun to play outside. 😉 

@Dreamergal  So glad you had a great work-out and bath! 

@Laura Corin  Your list-writing idea sounds wonderful! Seems really vital during these times to keep reminding one's self about all the good things we're accomplishing. It's so easy to lose that focus with all the uncertainty.

@lynn  Way to go!!! Your work-outs sound pretty intense. Are they a mix of strength, stretching and high intensity intervals? 

Great job everyone! I've had a couple great days of tennis and volleyball. My body is certainly trying hard to adjust to the new stresses this exercise offers. 😉  I'm going to try and balance my activities a little better so I don't get so exhausted with one thing. The dog misses his walks!

I know when doing something new that is fun it is hard not to do too much, watch yourself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I am procrastinating because I have a very tedious task at work and no motivation since I am still ahead of schedule.

Did an hour walk with DH yesterday after it stopped raining. Fed us yummy vegan grain bowl with peanut dressing and lots of veggies for lunch. Now I wish I could nap.

Looks like there is a lot of procrastination going around. Glad you got a walk in and hope for a better week for you.

• Like 3

It was a wonderful birthday! I played volleyball, badminton, and tennis with my 3 sons, went for a bike ride with my dd, and went for a hike on my own. I also did my 45 push-ups and some stretches, then had a nap. Dh grilled steak, potatoes and veggies for dinner. Got a couple 'front step visits' from my mil and sil, too. Thanks for all the birthdayy greetings here! 😁

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I had a salad after a long time. My usual, lots of spring mix, walnuts, carrots, beets, snow peas, cucumber, bell peppers, egg, chickpeas, raisins with a homemade thai dressing. The added element was dandelions. Oh my, bitter, bitter, bitter. I am saying this as a person who eats cooked bitter gourd without complaint. But it was nice to have a salad. Thank you for making me brave to try a salad because I was cooking the lettuce even after washing it because I was afraid, sounds ridiculous now. ☺️

Oh, that sounds delicious! I haven't had dandelion in ages, I do remember it is ages, it helps to have the young ones though.

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

It was a wonderful birthday! I played volleyball, badminton, and tennis with my 3 sons, went for a bike ride with my dd, and went for a hike on my own. I also did my 45 push-ups and some stretches, then had a nap. Dh grilled steak, potatoes and veggies for dinner. Got a couple 'front step visits' from my mil and sil, too. Thanks for all the birthdayy greetings here! 😁

Wow, what a perfect day! 

I got in a nap, cooked dinner, and a walk. I'm feeling lazy, I know I've been doing quite a bit but still feeling lazy especially compared to all you guys are doing. Hoping to think of a little something fun to do today since we've been working so much around the house.Eating has been much better than last week, need to keep on watching it. Sleep was thankfully good (good to bed on time) so hoping for more energy.

food:

bfast- steelcut oats, 1 T almonds, 2 chopped dates; blueberries and nf greek yogurt

lunch- homemade chicken baja bowl

dinner=stir fry 

snacks: fruit, cottage cheese, smoothie

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

Belated happy birthday!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Happy Birthday !!! Hope you have a really good day. Splurge on something for you. 

The volleyball is kicking my butt too. 🤣. But it feels so good to stretch, run around even though I feel my age after that. But like @sororsaid, let's take it easy. 

I love badminton the best, for "gentler" playing trying table tennis. Not that much running around or lifting arms, well not the way I do it anyway, son is just kicking mine and my husband's butt in this, we used to be better at this. 😆

DH wanted to attempt couch2k this week, a bit sore after using those muscles. So we shall wait a bit. 

That's great you can play table tennis as well! We gave ours away to friends in anticipation of our move. It is good fun! 

The good thing about having a court in the backyard is that you can go out an play for just a few minutes. That's often how long it takes before we lose our ball over the fence. 😂

• Like 2

I shouldn't have stepped on the scale this morning. Time to reign back on celebration food! 😉

I'll have to give my upper body some rest today. Shoulders and arms are fatigued but luckily not painful.  I'll focus on lower body today, though I'll still do my push-ups. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I shouldn't have stepped on the scale this morning. Time to reign back on celebration food! 😉

I'll have to give my upper body some rest today. Shoulders and arms are fatigued but luckily not painful.  I'll focus on lower body today, though I'll still do my push-ups. 

LOL, I bet most of that is just bloat  and will go away on its own.

20 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Sailing in the same boat. Arms and shoulders are fatigued and I did not play as much as you ! Glad you had a good birthday. Went for a solo walk early this morning, tried a bit of the power walk without moving upper body much . I suppose I did it all wrong, but it went well that I am pleased. I think a little pain to compensate for that feeling of being well is what I was looking for and ok with. DH started couch2k. He is determined to run. 

It is nice to have some soreness to let you know that you worked hard.

I did my strength work yesterday and a walk (2 whole days in a row) after too many with no walks.

I've no idea what we're doing today. I've got some work outside I want to get done but it is messing with leaves (so many leaves here we are surrounded by forest).

Workout: yoga (think I'll just make my own flow)

Food:

bfast:

scrambled eggs w/ spinach and onion OR steelcut oats (or maybe a bit of both); toast w/ almond butter + 1/3 banana

lunch:

homemade chicken baja grain bowl

dinner: 

cannelini "alfredo" - lemon pepper chicken- mostly zuc noodles a bit of gf rice noodles

snacks:

dark chocolate; fruit; nuts; cottage cheese?? depends on the mood and hunger

• Like 2

Happy birthday, @wintermom!

You guys are being so active and eating such good stuff!  Yay!

Y'all being so reassuring about my limited diet was very helpful and timely, because the nausea and food aversions have really cranked up a notch this week.  I had read a few times that weeks 9 and 10 are the worst, and I'm 9w 5 d.  Salad is getting pretty iffy, as are smoothies.  Yesterday I ate peanut butter toast, cheese toast, strawberries & grapes, and buttered noodles.  Staying hydrated is hard because the thought of sipping water grosses me out for some reason.  I've been doing a big glass of crushed ice with mostly water and a little fruit juice, but I might try some La Croix.  I wish watermelon was in season.  I could probably eat one a day.

Yesterday I walked for 30 mins around the property while my boys helped my husband shovel gravel into a drain field he's been digging.  It was good for my very low spirits for us all to be outside together.  I also ordered myself a few new dresses and skirts...jersey maxis that will transition well once I start showing instead of just being bloated all the time, lol.  I haven't had new clothes in a loooong time, so that was fun. 

I really sympathize with y'all dealing with work stress.  The same exact day that I thought I was miscarrying, my "boss" (I'm self employed, but I only have 1 client company) announced a switch to a new software platform and it has cause SO. MANY. PROBLEMS.  I dread opening my work email every day and knowing that I can't actually do my job...instead I have to keep trying to untangle all the procedural knots caused by the switchover.  Bah.  I ended up missing an important deadline and had to email a colleague at my client company about it--turns out she's 12 weeks pregnant and had the same huge hemorrhage as me at the same time in her pregnancy and also thought she had miscarried for almost a week.  CRAZY.  I think it should be more widely known that this can happen.  Anything you see on the internet says brown spotting=ok, any amount of red bleeding=miscarriage.

Ok, enough rambling.  As soon as the nausea and food aversions let up, I'm celebrating by buying a subscription to a prenatal yoga class online and ordering some Mexican food!

Y'all have a good day!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Happy birthday, @wintermom!

You guys are being so active and eating such good stuff!  Yay!

Y'all being so reassuring about my limited diet was very helpful and timely, because the nausea and food aversions have really cranked up a notch this week.  I had read a few times that weeks 9 and 10 are the worst, and I'm 9w 5 d.  Salad is getting pretty iffy, as are smoothies.  Yesterday I ate peanut butter toast, cheese toast, strawberries & grapes, and buttered noodles.  Staying hydrated is hard because the thought of sipping water grosses me out for some reason.  I've been doing a big glass of crushed ice with mostly water and a little fruit juice, but I might try some La Croix.  I wish watermelon was in season.  I could probably eat one a day.

Yesterday I walked for 30 mins around the property while my boys helped my husband shovel gravel into a drain field he's been digging.  It was good for my very low spirits for us all to be outside together.  I also ordered myself a few new dresses and skirts...jersey maxis that will transition well once I start showing instead of just being bloated all the time, lol.  I haven't had new clothes in a loooong time, so that was fun. 

I really sympathize with y'all dealing with work stress.  The same exact day that I thought I was miscarrying, my "boss" (I'm self employed, but I only have 1 client company) announced a switch to a new software platform and it has cause SO. MANY. PROBLEMS.  I dread opening my work email every day and knowing that I can't actually do my job...instead I have to keep trying to untangle all the procedural knots caused by the switchover.  Bah.  I ended up missing an important deadline and had to email a colleague at my client company about it--turns out she's 12 weeks pregnant and had the same huge hemorrhage as me at the same time in her pregnancy and also thought she had miscarried for almost a week.  CRAZY.  I think it should be more widely known that this can happen.  Anything you see on the internet says brown spotting=ok, any amount of red bleeding=miscarriage.

Ok, enough rambling.  As soon as the nausea and food aversions let up, I'm celebrating by buying a subscription to a prenatal yoga class online and ordering some Mexican food!

Y'all have a good day!

Girl, I hope you are soon past the worst and it is a distant memory. I'm so sorry you are having work stress on top of all of this. 

Ya, for new clothes.

re: the food. You know it is like with the kids, most importantly is to eat, so you eat whatever and drink whatever you can manage to get enough food and liquids into you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@IvyInFlorida Thanks for popping in! That sounds awesome walking outside with the entire family working away. Glad you are still able to eat and drink. Every little bit helps! Shopping for clothes is one of my favourite things! Glad you found things you like.  I think you'll love pre-natal yoga.  Is your ds still training martial arts? Is he going to continue on with his journey to black belt? 

@soror  Great job getting in a walk. Enjoy your yoga and delicious meals today!

@Laura Corin  How is your house sale situation? Are any official gov offices opening up yet so that you can finalize the sale?  How is your yoga going? Are you sticking to your plan or making major adjustments? 

@Dreamergal  Hope you are feeling less sore after your volleyball and badminton. That's wonderful your dh is starting up running. I really enjoyed the alternating running/walking progression. I also prefer running on softer surfaces (e.g., dirt trails) when possible. I used to get painful shin splints from running on concrete.

General yoga question: Is a 'flow' in yoga simply the program of movement to movement or pose you do?  I really like making up my own 'flow' with movements and stretches that I know won't hurt my joints, and determining myself the length of time I hold a stretch and the number of strength exercise repetitions I do. I guess this is partly why I avoid following yoga videos. I know that there will be a bunch of movements I don't want to do as I've learned from experience that they aren't great for certain joints of mine. 

It's rainy today, so I'll definitely be extending my indoor strength/stretch work-out and push-ups. I will also try to get out for a walk. 

• Like 2

Just now, wintermom said:

@IvyInFlorida Thanks for popping in! That sounds awesome walking outside with the entire family working away. Glad you are still able to eat and drink. Every little bit helps! Shopping for clothes is one of my favourite things! Glad you found things you like.  I think you'll love pre-natal yoga.  Is your ds still training martial arts? Is he going to continue on with his journey to black belt? 

@Laura Corin  How is your house sale situation? Are any official gov offices opening up yet so that you can finalize the sale?  How is your yoga going? Are you sticking to your plan or making major adjustments? 

@Dreamergal  Hope you are feeling less sore after your volleyball and badminton. That's wonderful your dh is starting up running. I really enjoyed the alternating running/walking progression. I also prefer running on softer surfaces (e.g., dirt trails) when possible. I used to get painful shin splints from running on concrete.

General yoga question: Is a 'flow' in yoga simply the program of movement to movement or pose you do?  I really like making up my own 'flow' with movements and stretches that I know won't hurt my joints, and determining myself the length of time I hold a stretch and the number of strength exercise repetitions I do. I guess this is partly why I avoid following yoga videos. I know that there will be a bunch of movements I don't want to do as I've learned from experience that they aren't great for certain joints of mine. 

It's rainy today, so I'll definitely be extending my indoor strength/stretch work-out and push-ups. I will also try to get out for a walk. 

House sale - still on tenterhooks.  Everyone seems keen but the lawyers don't seem to be very... creative?  The government office is open but it seems to be hard to sign contracts without definite move dates.

As far as I understand it: flow (vinyasa) can be a series of moves that link moments of stillness, or alternatively a style of yoga in which you barely stay still at all.  I think you are very wise to go with what works for you.

My yoga programme has actually been working really well.  I haven't done any yoga at all today but I'll, at the very least, fit in a sun salutation or two. 

We have been given two days of extra holiday (tomorrow and Monday) as a thank-you for working hard to deal with the current situation.  I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud, because I'm actually not as pushed as many other people.  Anyway, I am trying to work out longer walks (without making a special trip to get to them) and lots of yoga for the next few days.  I think I might take the recycling to the next village and, once there, take a big walk.  This evening I have book group and then 'clap for carers', so no time to exercise.

• Like 3

@wintermom, happy belated birthday!

@IvyInFlorida, hopefully the nausea clears up soon

I haven't been sticking to a consistent workout routine lately.  Even though calving has slowed down and we're nearly done (only 12 cows left to calve), farm work is ramping up and keeping me busy.  I have been doing the A Little Obsessed workouts from Beachbody this week to get back into a routine, and I think Monday I'm going to start 80 Day Obsession again.  I loved the results I got last time, and would like to build a bit more muscle and flatten out my tummy some more.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

Flow is moving fluidly between poses,you can certainly make your own flow. Typically it has sun salutations because those moves flow easily from one to another but they don't have to. Do what feels good.

20 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

House sale - still on tenterhooks.  Everyone seems keen but the lawyers don't seem to be very... creative?  The government office is open but it seems to be hard to sign contracts without definite move dates.

As far as I understand it: flow (vinyasa) can be a series of moves that link moments of stillness, or alternatively a style of yoga in which you barely stay still at all.  I think you are very wise to go with what works for you.

My yoga programme has actually been working really well.  I haven't done any yoga at all today but I'll, at the very least, fit in a sun salutation or two. 

We have been given two days of extra holiday (tomorrow and Monday) as a thank-you for working hard to deal with the current situation.  I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud, because I'm actually not as pushed as many other people.  Anyway, I am trying to work out longer walks (without making a special trip to get to them) and lots of yoga for the next few days.  I think I might take the recycling to the next village and, once there, take a big walk.  This evening I have book group and then 'clap for carers', so no time to exercise.

Glad the buyers are still interested and hopefully it straightens out too. Ya, for extra days, even if you don't feel you deserve them.

6 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

@wintermom, happy belated birthday!

@IvyInFlorida, hopefully the nausea clears up soon

I haven't been sticking to a consistent workout routine lately.  Even though calving has slowed down and we're nearly done (only 12 cows left to calve), farm work is ramping up and keeping me busy.  I have been doing the A Little Obsessed workouts from Beachbody this week to get back into a routine, and I think Monday I'm going to start 80 Day Obsession again.  I loved the results I got last time, and would like to build a bit more muscle and flatten out my tummy some more.

Best of luck with 80 Day Obsession. You know I think it is ok that you haven't exercises as much, it is not like you've been sitting on your butt!

I did my yoga in the am. I did my own practice, mostly stretching but did some twists, headstand (its been ages so my head was not used to it but I made it up). 

We worked outside all morning, raking, clearing branches, etcand got a lot accomplished. I worked in the flower beds in the afternoon.

Food was mostly to plan but I didn't have noodles(just zucchini) for dinner and did have a small icecream cone.

Today: Strength work and painting! The plan is to FINISH the painting this weekend! 

bfast: pumpkin protein pancakes + beet smoothie

lunch: homeamde baja bowl w/ guac (avocados are finally ripe)

dinner: grilled burger or brat; corn on the cob, ? ds is cooking

snacks: cucumber; fruit; some treat- the girls want a desert today and it is going to be a long day, I plan to have a small serving

Excuse typos computer is being wonky and deleting when I try to correct.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Definite move dates would be great, wouldn't they! We don't have that yet, either. I've been looking at some beautiful homes on-line, but I can't go any further than that right now. Hope you can get your house sale nailed down soon.

What is 'clap for carers?' 

Enjoy your days off work! Hope the weather is nice and you can get in some nice walks in the country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

I did my yoga in the am. I did my own practice, mostly stretching but did some twists, headstand (its been ages so my head was not used to it but I made it up). 

We worked outside all morning, raking, clearing branches, etcand got a lot accomplished. I worked in the flower beds in the afternoon.

Food was mostly to plan but I didn't have noodles(just zucchini) for dinner and did have a small icecream cone.

Today: Strength work and painting! The plan is to FINISH the painting this weekend! 

bfast: pumpkin protein pancakes + beet smoothie

lunch: homeamde baja bowl w/ guac (avocados are finally ripe)

dinner: grilled burger or brat; corn on the cob, ? ds is cooking

snacks: cucumber; fruit; some treat- the girls want a desert today and it is going to be a long day, I plan to have a small serving

Excuse typos computer is being wonky and deleting when I try to correct.

Great job on all the yardwork! I had raked branches after we had most of our trees removed, and there are more branches! Where did they come from?! 

Your meal plans sound delicious! I love avocados!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Great job on all the yardwork! I had raked branches after we had most of our trees removed, and there are more branches! Where did they come from?! 

Your meal plans sound delicious! I love avocados!

We've had so many storms here we keep getting branches in the yard. We had a really bad storm Tuesday night and the yard was covered, then more strong winds Wed morning so we had even more branches in the afternoon. But we are making slow and steady progress, even if it never stops. I'm very please with how much better it is looking and hope that we can get a lot of things done so that when we have less time we can just keep to maintenance and still have it looking nice.

• Like 2