Menu

Thoughts? What Would You Advise to Your Kid?

easypeasy

I have no experience... but the question was what would I advise my kid. I would tell them to inform everyone as soon as possible of her decision, so they can move on. Why go through the charade of an interview when her decision is made? Let them move on to making arrangements with the next person. AND let someone else feel her joy at getting a scholarship! Maybe someone else can stop worrying that much sooner?

Overall, it’s a business decision, and I think it best to inform everyone as politely and expediently as possible.

ETA: Good grief, I mostly came to congratulate your daughter, and forgot!! Congratulations to both of you!

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Overall, it’s a business decision, and I think it best to inform everyone as politely and expediently as possible.

ETA: Good grief, I mostly came to congratulate your daughter, and forgot!! Congratulations to both of you!

Very logical, yes. I think I need to have DD repeat this over and over until it really sinks in. It sounds SO obvious until she starts thinking of all the details! 

And thank you for the congratulations!! Our minds are blown with her good fortune!

• Like 1

Congratulations!

If she were in their shoes, what would she like a scholarship candidate to hedge and take up time that would better serve to actually fill a slot with another student, or to be straightforward?

Maybe it wouldn't matter to them, if they expect some withdrawals and interview extra.

It's the old "do unto others."

Edited by elroisees
Can't spell, apparently.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First off, congratulations! That is wonderful.

Second- it is a business decision. It is frequently hard for conscientious kids to realize- but no one takes it personally when you withdraw from a competition. They move on to the next person- which is great for that person.

For my girls, talking to the coaches from the programs they rejected was terrible the first time, but by the third program- it was just a professional break-up. They just moved on to the next person on the list and my girls were forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations to your daughter! 

I think many young people think they are more important to the adults in their lives than they actually are.  We're talking about professors, deans, and presidents here.  Are they on the edge of their seats about your dd's decision?  When you step back a bit, it becomes clear that your dd's academic career is one of many other things they are juggling in their lives.   It seems like if they are paying great attention to your daughter, it's precisely because their reputation fails in comparison to the school she actually will attend.  The fact that they are losing an extremely competitive applicant is good information for them to have, and they shouldn't take it personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations to her. 

I would send a simple note cancelling the interviews with the explanation that she has already made her college decision and decided on another school. The end.. 

Everybody involved knows that scholarship offers are a carrot to entice students to attend their school. They won't take it personally.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I would cancel, but also have her sent letters to those individuals who went to bat for her thanking them for their much-appreciated efforts. You never know from whom you might be seeking a job or another opportunity (grad school?) in the future.

And congratulations to your dd! 

Edited by ikslo
Forgot the congrats!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1