Menu

workbook Bible study not King James?

kristin0713

8 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Can I be nosy and ask why it needs to be non-KJV?  I know people who insist on everything being KJ, which I don't understand either, but I've never heard the opposite.  

It's not readable or easy to understand.  It is so far removed from the language that we use today.  We prefer use more modern options like ESV or even NASB.  

Community Bible Study has "Engage" workbooks, based on ESV, which are available for individual study (i.e., for those who are not in a CBS community).  I'm not sure it's what you'd be looking for, as it isn't designed specifically for any age bracket, but they do have an online sample you may check out.    My own experience is with the books used in a community (both children's and adult's editions) and my family has loved those.  

For those ages, you could look at The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade.  It will take a couple years (at least) to get through it all. It can be done as a survey of the OT and NT or you can use it alongside a plan to read the Bible it its entirety.

https://www.amazon.com/Most-Important-Thing-Youll-Study/dp/1433511827

https://www.christianbook.com/important-youll-study-survey-bible-complete/starr-meade/9781433511820/pd/511820

Edited by cintinative

16 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

God's Great Covenant by Classical Academic Press might work. 

We really liked GGC by CAP but I think my youngest lost out a bit when I tried to have him do it independently for GGC NT 2 (last year, 6th grade, age 11).  The teacher's guide is really rich and I felt like we both lost something by my not leading him through it.  I think that GGC would be a bit young for a 14 year old though.  

I second The Most Important Thing You’ll Ever Study Books.

However, if you want an even deeper study, look into Journey Through the Bible from Christian Liberty Press.  I learned a ton from these!  Don’t let the cartoon covers fool you.  They are very meaty.  I bought them for my mom, a 70 year old Sunday School teacher, and she learned some things from them.

• Like 2

At that age, we used a few of the Explorer Bible study: Quest level workbooks -- you can use whatever translation you wish. We also did a few Kay Arthur studies.

I wish the youth classes for Bible Study Fellowship had been around at the time DSs were that age, as I got SO much out of those studies, and would have loved for DSs to have had that experience as well.

Thanks everyone! I actually ordered a Positive Action study the other day.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, lots of little ducklings said:

Community Bible Study has "Engage" workbooks, based on ESV, which are available for individual study (i.e., for those who are not in a CBS community).  I'm not sure it's what you'd be looking for, as it isn't designed specifically for any age bracket, but they do have an online sample you may check out.    My own experience is with the books used in a community (both children's and adult's editions) and my family has loved those.  

We did CBS for many years and I agree that their studies are great. I wish I could order them without being in a group. I particularly like that they have studies for the kids that follow the same passages as the adult guide. But unfortunately the Engage studies are not the same. 

• Like 1