Menu

iPhone replacement

DawnM

So my iPhone 6  (yup, not even the 6s, just the plain old six year old 6) is dying a slow, painful death.  The front facing camera died.  It glitches and black screens and reboots sometimes, and it freezes.

I am going back and forth on what to get.  I want the max because, well, eyes and age, but the XS or the 11 or 11 pro?

The one thing I keep thinking is, I take tons of pictures and video.  The 11 pro seems to outshine the XS in that category, but I keep thinking of the hundreds of dollars more it costs to get.  Then I also think that I do keep phones for 5-6 years, so it you look at it that way, it may well be worth the added cost?

I even thought I should get the XS and then spend the added hundreds on a decent camera, but the truth is, I won't carry my actual camera around all that much in addition to the phone.

Thoughts about which iPhone (thoughts about how you don't like iPhones aren't really helpful for this discussion, I don't like androids and don't plan to switch) to get?

• Like 1

I keep my phones a long time too.  I currently have a SE which I believe is the 6 in the 5s size.  It is small.  Which I like because it fits my small hands but like you I really need a bigger one now.  I don’t know much about the XS. But between the 11 and 11 pro I Plan to get the 11. Sounds like you need the Pro though.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

I have an 11, and I'm super happy with it. I tried a max when the XS and XS Max were released (and I came from a +, so the size wasn't an issue), but the OLED screen seemed to give me headaches. I realize this doesn't/won't happen to everyone.

If I were buying now though, and I kept phones a long time, I'd definitely go for something in the 11 series. I, personally, don't think you can go wrong with just an 11, but I'd likely have a Max if it weren't for issues with that OLED screen. 

The 11 screen looks almost as good side by side with a pro unless you zoom it in a bunch, then letters on the 11 might look a tad bit fuzzy. The camera on the pro will give you the actual optical zoom (I think that's what it's called), but I haven't had any issues with my 11's camera - I use portrait mode a ton, and it has the super wide angle for landscape-type shots.

The 11 is a good bit less expensive overall, and I personally love the colors - just think it's fun.

I'd pick between the 11 and the 11 pro max.  The 11 pro is a little on the small side for me.

Edit: Wow - just realized how rambly that seems. If you have any questions because I basically had no coherent points, just ask. 😜

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

I have an 11, and I'm super happy with it. I tried a max when the XS and XS Max were released (and I came from a +, so the size wasn't an issue), but the OLED screen seemed to give me headaches. I realize this doesn't/won't happen to everyone.

If I were buying now though, and I kept phones a long time, I'd definitely go for something in the 11 series. I, personally, don't think you can go wrong with just an 11, but I'd likely have a Max if it weren't for issues with that OLED screen. 

The 11 screen looks almost as good side by side with a pro unless you zoom it in a bunch, then letters on the 11 might look a tad bit fuzzy. The camera on the pro will give you the actual optical zoom (I think that's what it's called), but I haven't had any issues with my 11's camera - I use portrait mode a ton, and it has the super wide angle for landscape-type shots.

The 11 is a good bit less expensive overall, and I personally love the colors - just think it's fun.

I'd pick between the 11 and the 11 pro max.  The 11 pro is a little on the small side for me.

Edit: Wow - just realized how rambly that seems. If you have any questions because I basically had no coherent points, just ask. 😜

One of the things I liked about the 11 more than the XS is the stabilization.  I watched a Youtube where the guy was walking on a trail and as he filmed the video was not jerky when he played it back.

I also watched a video of a wedding photographer who used a Canon 5D AND an 11 Pro and he said he was amazed that many of the  photos came out just as good, and some even better.

I see I am talking my way into spending the money for it.....hahaha!

Here is the comparasin:

https://petapixel.com/2019/09/24/pro-wedding-photographers-compare-iphone-11-pro-to-canon-5d-mark-iv/

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:59 AM, DawnM said:

So my iPhone 6  (yup, not even the 6s, just the plain old six year old 6) is dying a slow, painful death.  The front facing camera died.  It glitches and black screens and reboots sometimes, and it freezes.

I am going back and forth on what to get.  I want the max because, well, eyes and age, but the XS or the 11 or 11 pro?

The one thing I keep thinking is, I take tons of pictures and video.  The 11 pro seems to outshine the XS in that category, but I keep thinking of the hundreds of dollars more it costs to get.  Then I also think that I do keep phones for 5-6 years, so it you look at it that way, it may well be worth the added cost?

I even thought I should get the XS and then spend the added hundreds on a decent camera, but the truth is, I won't carry my actual camera around all that much in addition to the phone.

Thoughts about which iPhone (thoughts about how you don't like iPhones aren't really helpful for this discussion, I don't like androids and don't plan to switch) to get?

I really like having a separate camera. I don’t like worry about all my pictures just being on the phone or cloud. My camera takes nice videos too.

7 minutes ago, Janeway said:

I really like having a separate camera. I don’t like worry about all my pictures just being on the phone or cloud. My camera takes nice videos too.

Do you carry it around in your purse all the time?  I feel like my purse is heavy already.   I am also out all the time,   I work full time, am involved in a lot of church and social activities, etc.....

I use my camera on my phone for all of the above, so it would need to stay in my purse all the time.   I currently have over 10,000 pictures and video on the cloud/computer/phone.  Some of those were taken with my DSLR, but I rarely even use my DSLR anymore as it is bulky and I only take it to places I want high quality pictures and am ok with carrying it.  And my DSLR is older, so I have really thought of selling it and getting a replacement body for it.  But that is for another post.

• Like 2

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. My old phone (6s) was over 4 years old and I was constantly out of space. As in I deleted almost all the apps and couldn’t even get text messages anymore without deleting several. 

My husband and I decided when I replaced it instead of getting the less expensive model like I usually do that would eventually no longer be updated.  Go ahead and get the newest one in hopes it will last even longer. I had been considering getting a new camera but decided to get the 11pro. Yes it’s expensive, but the photos are great. I’m not a photographer at all, my sister who has a degree in photography has been impressed with the pictures I’ve taken recently. 

My husband has the 11, the main difference in picture that I have noticed is wide angle shots. They are just better with the third lens. 

I almost switched to the Samsung Galaxy 10. It was about half the price and Samsung has had better cameras for awhile. You can also expand the memory. I just don’t care for Android as much and ended up going iPhone again. If you go to Best Buy you can compare them side by side and see which you like better.  I seriously debated for a couple weeks making my decision.  

(I tried to attach a couple recent pictures but apparently the file size to too large and I don’t know how to reduce them.) 

• Like 1

I am waiting for the new phones to be launch before deciding but I have two working iPhones (6 and 7plus) so I could wait. I would splurge and get the one with better cameras and more storage capacity. It’s too frustrating when you want to take a candid shot and the iPhone camera isn’t good enough to take the shot well.

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Do you carry it around in your purse all the time?  I feel like my purse is heavy already.   I am also out all the time,   I work full time, am involved in a lot of church and social activities, etc.....

I use my camera on my phone for all of the above, so it would need to stay in my purse all the time.   I currently have over 10,000 pictures and video on the cloud/computer/phone.  Some of those were taken with my DSLR, but I rarely even use my DSLR anymore as it is bulky and I only take it to places I want high quality pictures and am ok with carrying it.  And my DSLR is older, so I have really thought of selling it and getting a replacement body for it.  But that is for another post.

No, I do not carry it around in my purse. I have a bigger bulkier more expensive camera. But when I had a skinnier one I did carry it. I like having the sim card from the camera. I use it for anything that means a lot to me, where I would be very upset if I lost the pictures. I also carry it in my pocket if we hike or something. It is bulkier, but it is not an SLR. I just like having an SD card. IF Iphone took an SD card, I might not bother anymore. 

Edited by Janeway

16 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I am waiting for the new phones to be launch before deciding but I have two working iPhones (6 and 7plus) so I could wait. I would splurge and get the one with better cameras and more storage capacity. It’s too frustrating when you want to take a candid shot and the iPhone camera isn’t good enough to take the shot well.

This is an issue I am having with the iphone camera. Sometimes, if the thing I am taking a picture of moves, or if the person is far away (like a dance recital), or if I do not hold the phone still long enough, the picture is blurred. PLUS..another bonus to a real camera over a phone one...don't have to worry about using it near water sources. I am not saying it is good to take it in water, but I am saying it is not sensitive to water the way phones are. 

I am needing a new phone too.

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

This is an issue I am having with the iphone camera. Sometimes, if the thing I am taking a picture of moves, or if the person is far away (like a dance recital), or if I do not hold the phone still long enough, the picture is blurred. PLUS..another bonus to a real camera over a phone one...don't have to worry about using it near water sources. I am not saying it is good to take it in water, but I am saying it is not sensitive to water the way phones are. 

I am needing a new phone too.

I guess I am thinking more about things I need it for that are indeed every day or carry around things.......I do some videos at work for our media site.  My son is in some traveling performances, my other son was on a robotics team, and I like carrying it around for various shots while I am out with friends or taking a hike.   I keep thinking that I don't carry my actual camera around for those things, and I don't want to make it so that I have to carry around both.  It isn't as practical.   Or maybe I need the nicer phone AND a new camera!

Hmmmmm...................

9 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I guess I am thinking more about things I need it for that are indeed every day or carry around things.......I do some videos at work for our media site.  My son is in some traveling performances, my other son was on a robotics team, and I like carrying it around for various shots while I am out with friends or taking a hike.   I keep thinking that I don't carry my actual camera around for those things, and I don't want to make it so that I have to carry around both.  It isn't as practical.   Or maybe I need the nicer phone AND a new camera!

Hmmmmm...................

Mine fits in my pocket. It also fits in my purse. But the phone all-in-one might make more sense. The lack of SD card is actually my main issue. 

1 minute ago, Janeway said:

Mine fits in my pocket. It also fits in my purse. But the phone all-in-one might make more sense. The lack of SD card is actually my main issue. 

Interesting.  I don't care about an SD card.  I like that all my pictures are on the cloud and I can access them from my phone or computer.