Menu

February 2020 Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Yesterday I did 45 mins of running intervals and really felt good.  I'm really pleased at how my cardio has improved over the last 6 months or so.  I have CKD tonight, so will take it easy this morning.  Hopefully I can do some easy CKD pattern and technique work, but my outdoor workout mats might be wet this morning--sometimes rain blows in far enough to reach them and it def rained a lot last night.  If they are, I'll do an easy jog.

I spent some time reading that Lean Habits book Soror recommended, and, despite being about weight loss, so far I think it will really help me transition over to maintaining weight without tracking.  There are 4 core habits and 12 more helpful or advanced habits, and funny enough I have most of the latter down pat but struggle with the core ones.  Thanks for the rec, @soror, it was timely!

Probably most importantly, I really decompressed yesterday and got great sleep.  So happy to start the week off feeling rested and strong! 

@Monica_in_Switzerland I'm so sorry you're sick!  Blah!  I hope recovery is quick.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Yesterday I did 45 mins of running intervals and really felt good.  I'm really pleased at how my cardio has improved over the last 6 months or so.  I have CKD tonight, so will take it easy this morning.  Hopefully I can do some easy CKD pattern and technique work, but my outdoor workout mats might be wet this morning--sometimes rain blows in far enough to reach them and it def rained a lot last night.  If they are, I'll do an easy jog.

I spent some time reading that Lean Habits book Soror recommended, and, despite being about weight loss, so far I think it will really help me transition over to maintaining weight without tracking.  There are 4 core habits and 12 more helpful or advanced habits, and funny enough I have most of the latter down pat but struggle with the core ones.  Thanks for the rec, @soror, it was timely!

Probably most importantly, I really decompressed yesterday and got great sleep.  So happy to start the week off feeling rested and strong! 

@Monica_in_Switzerland I'm so sorry you're sick!  Blah!  I hope recovery is quick.

Glad the book was helpful, I need to see if my library has it. Sleep is wonderful! I slept long and well the last 2 nights. It is good to start the week off good and you are starting off with a lot less stress than last one too, which really helps.

I did a ton of raking yesterday with the nicer weather and a short walk with dh.

Today I'd planned to do BodyCombat 30 min, my cranky shoulder is tiny bit sore from all the raking so I'll I won't be so vigorous on punches. I've been looking forward to trying out a full workout as I've only tried parts of one, I am anxious to see if I like it.

And my throat is sore and I'm a bit stuffy but I'm thinking it is likely allergies from the leaves.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Grr. just quoted and responded and lost it all.

Monica- I hope you are feeling better soon 😞

Wintermom- I did a doubletake when I converted the temp, that is warmer than here!

Farmingmomma- you getting so close to finishing, have you decided what to do next? I remember you said you had to pull back with a heavy season for farming.

Laura- I'm so glad she has a power yoga option, that will be a great choice for you.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, soror said:

Wintermom- I did a doubletake when I converted the temp, that is warmer than here!

I meant that it warmed up 30 degrees, from -27 to +3 C. So not that warm! 😂  Now it's -19 C again. I'm dreaming about +30C weather, but that won't be for many months yet.

It's sunny and supposed to warm up a by noon. I'll either ski or hike then. For now I'm going to be painting some trim and perhaps doing some caulking. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I meant that it warmed up 30 degrees, from -27 to +3 C. So not that warm! 😂  Now it's -19 C again. I'm dreaming about +30C weather, but that won't be for many months yet.

It's sunny and supposed to warm up a by noon. I'll either ski or hike then. For now I'm going to be painting some trim and perhaps doing some caulking. 

30 degrees C in Scotland though? Not in my lifetime...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

30 degrees C in Scotland though? Not in my lifetime...

It's pretty rare that it gets that warm here, and almost never in Alberta where I grew up. 😉   Our city gets a VERY wide spread of temperatures throughout the year; from -30 to +30 C, and with pretty high humidity as well. It's kind of crazy living with these extremes. 

• Like 2

We get from 0-100F /-17-37C here, with humidity up to 100% in the summer. 

32 min Body Combat done- That was fun but hard. It is MUCH faster than the workouts I did in Morning Meltdown, I just did my best, surely I'll get better. Intensity was just right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

It's pretty rare that it gets that warm here, and almost never in Alberta where I grew up. 😉   Our city gets a VERY wide spread of temperatures throughout the year; from -30 to +30 C, and with pretty high humidity as well. It's kind of crazy living with these extremes. 

Here it's more like -5 to +22 in a normal year.  I've seen -13 and supposedly the area once hit +32, but I can't imagine that anyone would have survived that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Any chance you'd like to bullet list the four core habits, or do they all need heaps of explanation?

@Monica_in_Switzerland

Here is a link to the book- not sure if the link works for you but if it does you can look inside and see all the habits listed and read the first bit. I read all the free preview and I did find that helpful. I've been working on snacking and she hit home with saying that we sometimes eat out of boredom or habit. I do that. But you have to eat big enough meals to make it without snacks or hunger will bite you, it doesn't work to keep meals the same size and just skip snacks. I am not however, following her advice around fueling before and after workouts, I think Sims' info is more up to date and I know my workout performance and recovery has improved.

https://www.amazon.com/Lean-Habits-Lifelong-Weight-Loss/dp/1624141129

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

@Monica_in_Switzerland

Here is a link to the book- not sure if the link works for you but if it does you can look inside and see all the habits listed and read the first bit. I read all the free preview and I did find that helpful. I've been working on snacking and she hit home with saying that we sometimes eat out of boredom or habit. I do that. But you have to eat big enough meals to make it without snacks or hunger will bite you, it doesn't work to keep meals the same size and just skip snacks. I am not however, following her advice around fueling before and after workouts, I think Sims' info is more up to date and I know my workout performance and recovery has improved.

https://www.amazon.com/Lean-Habits-Lifelong-Weight-Loss/dp/1624141129

Thank you!  That's a good list of habits.  

• Like 1

Skiing fail! I went to the ski trails, parked and reached in for my skis...  I forgot them at home! 🤪  Luckily I had my snowshoes with me, so I did that instead. It was probably a good thing, as my arms are kind of sore after all the painting and wallpaper removal this morning. I had a lot of fun climbing up and down hills breaking trail along a ridge. Worked up a good sweat. 

And we're supposed to get another dump of snow tomorrow. Should be great for more outdoor activity! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Skiing fail! I went to the ski trails, parked and reached in for my skis...  I forgot them at home! 🤪  Luckily I had my snowshoes with me, so I did that instead. It was probably a good thing, as my arms are kind of sore after all the painting and wallpaper removal this morning. I had a lot of fun climbing up and down hills breaking trail along a ridge. Worked up a good sweat. 

And we're supposed to get another dump of snow tomorrow. Should be great for more outdoor activity! 

LOL, at least you made the most of it!

I finished raking the other side of the ditch and then took a 30 min walk through the woods.

Think that I might have a little cold and not just allergies 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That's a pretty big temp range. Isn't 100% humidity just rain? 😂

Our range is probably even a bit bigger... it's not at all unusual to have a couple of days in winter with the lows below 0°F, and a few summer days over 100°F, though not necessarily every year.

We've also got high humidity, not sure about 100%... 😅

• Like 1

CKD last night was really fun and fast paced, with half of it sparring and half timed bouts of hitting the air shield.  At the end, I did 3 mins against two opponents holding air shields, which is the scenario I'll face in the black belt test.  I think this makes maybe the 3rd time I've done it, so now I'm feeling pretty confident I won't get gassed during that part of the test unless I panic and quit breathing (which used to happen a TON).  By the end of the class, my son was actually visibly tired (which NEVER HAPPENS) so that tells you something!

Lifting this morning, yay!  When I enter my next training cycle in about a week and a half, I'm trying to decide if I still want to structure it circuit-style, with intervals of kb swings or jump rope between each set, or not.  I like it, but it does tire me out and I seem to be doing plenty of cardio otherwise.  I'm leaning toward not doing it for this 6-week block for the sake of mental and physical variety.  I am learning to think about training cycles and longevity in lifting instead of being focused on creating The Perfect Program, so that's positive.

Not much else on my plate today physically--I'll be visiting my parents this afternoon and my mom's to-do list isn't outdoor type stuff.  Probably for the best, because we've had like 3 days of cloudy, sticky-hot weather that's just been miserable.  I just checked and it is going to be 83 today and is currently 99% humidity.  Y'all come to Florida, now, you hear?!  Lol.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

CKD last night was really fun and fast paced, with half of it sparring and half timed bouts of hitting the air shield.  At the end, I did 3 mins against two opponents holding air shields, which is the scenario I'll face in the black belt test.  I think this makes maybe the 3rd time I've done it, so now I'm feeling pretty confident I won't get gassed during that part of the test unless I panic and quit breathing (which used to happen a TON).  By the end of the class, my son was actually visibly tired (which NEVER HAPPENS) so that tells you something!

Lifting this morning, yay!  When I enter my next training cycle in about a week and a half, I'm trying to decide if I still want to structure it circuit-style, with intervals of kb swings or jump rope between each set, or not.  I like it, but it does tire me out and I seem to be doing plenty of cardio otherwise.  I'm leaning toward not doing it for this 6-week block for the sake of mental and physical variety.  I am learning to think about training cycles and longevity in lifting instead of being focused on creating The Perfect Program, so that's positive.

Not much else on my plate today physically--I'll be visiting my parents this afternoon and my mom's to-do list isn't outdoor type stuff.  Probably for the best, because we've had like 3 days of cloudy, sticky-hot weather that's just been miserable.  I just checked and it is going to be 83 today and is currently 99% humidity.  Y'all come to Florida, now, you hear?!  Lol.

Little boys are hard to wear out and you are keeping up with him! I am slowing down my lifting too, I feel like I'm getting too much cardio in there with my HR staying up and want to concentrate on strength building and give plenty of down time between sets, so we'll see. And perfect seems to be a moving target, there is what is good for right now!

• Like 4

Went to the sports masseur last night.  I asked her to dial back the pressure, as last time I was so tense throughout that I didn't feel as if it could have been working properly - I wasn't able to breathe through it.  I'm not sure that she didn't go too soft, but we'll see.

It's been windy and rainy and a bit miserable for weeks here.  I'm hoping to do some yoga at lunchtime and then a good brisk walk after work before going to a public lecture that the university is putting on.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Went to the sports masseur last night.  I asked her to dial back the pressure, as last time I was so tense throughout that I didn't feel as if it could have been working properly - I wasn't able to breathe through it.  I'm not sure that she didn't go too soft, but we'll see.

It's been windy and rainy and a bit miserable for weeks here.  I'm hoping to do some yoga at lunchtime and then a good brisk walk after work before going to a public lecture that the university is putting on.

We have had much more rain than usual here too, I am so tired of it. Do you find the massages helpful? I went once but found it entirely uncomfortable, I'm not even big on dh massaging me, although he loves it. 

I am such an idiot sometimes. I was having some new pains yesterday, this am I realized that was some soreness from my BodyCombat class yesterday. It worked my core in a very different way. Aha. 

Random thoughts- it is a bit coincidental I seen the book rec for the Lean Habits and one of them focusing on not snacking- I already had that on my mind as I've been trying to fight the habit to snack lately- but also oddly enough from reading books. I have been reading through the Anne of Green Gables series and it has struck me more than once how different their eating habits were. We are so accustomed to constant food availability and having the time to eat. We also read a book about Shackleton and his crew surviving in Antarctica, now their conditions were not ideal, but they weren't snacking all day. They ate substantial meals and that was that. Our habits in regards to food have changed in so many ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

We have had much more rain than usual here too, I am so tired of it. Do you find the massages helpful? I went once but found it entirely uncomfortable, I'm not even big on dh massaging me, although he loves it. 

I am such an idiot sometimes. I was having some new pains yesterday, this am I realized that was some soreness from my BodyCombat class yesterday. It worked my core in a very different way. Aha. 

Random thoughts- it is a bit coincidental I seen the book rec for the Lean Habits and one of them focusing on not snacking- I already had that on my mind as I've been trying to fight the habit to snack lately- but also oddly enough from reading books. I have been reading through the Anne of Green Gables series and it has struck me more than once how different their eating habits were. We are so accustomed to constant food availability and having the time to eat. We also read a book about Shackleton and his crew surviving in Antarctica, now their conditions were not ideal, but they weren't snacking all day. They ate substantial meals and that was that. Our habits in regards to food have changed in so many ways.

I'm not sure about the massages yet - I've only had two.  I think the first was helpful but....

Snacking: I like the idea of not snacking, but my previous attempts not to do so have ended in me snacking/bingeing on less healthy stuff.  Part of the problem, I think, is that I don't like feeling as full as is necessary to carry me to the next meal.

I remember being struck in China by how little snacking there was: sitting waiting through TKD class for two or three hours, the parents all had flasks of hot water or green tea, but no snacks.  The children, who had been working hard, were given snacks when they finished class.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

Weather: It's snowing a lot, which I like, but it's supposed to change to rain this afternoon, which I hate. it's not fair that the snow gets drowned out by rain before I can ski on it. 😉

Massage: I've tried it a few times, and it always ends up being too painful with not enough actual healing to make it worthwhile. Physiotherapy is always more effective for me, as there is an emphasis on strength and stretching exercises that work much better at healing and future prevention.

Snacking: I think it's difficult to compare snacking in situations where people are doing a lot of outdoor physical labour (farming, expeditions) to typical city lifestyles. When you are outdoors and working non-stop, there is little practical opportunity to tuck in and eat a meal or even snack and drink. Dehydration can become an issue before losing energy from food loss. When I was doing an expedition across a glacier in Norway, we had to be very careful to keep drinking. Our "snacks" may have been drinking sweet beverages or eating some chocolate. Meals took time and equipment to prepare, so we ate our big meals in the morning before breaking camp and in the evening after making camp. 

For me personally, I've always included snacking in my lifestyle, and as long as the snacks are healthy and limited in quantity, they have served me well. I don't function very well if my blood sugar/energy dips too low between meals. I get cranky, can't concentrate, and then get over-hungry and eat the first thing that catches my eye, which is usually not healthy. 

• Like 2

I almost didn't even read the first chapter of the book since it was about no snacking, but I did and it really gave me a lot of interesting ideas to work through.  Meal size and frequency was on my radar as something I wanted to work on, because I have not been to pleased about how reliant I am on it.  My blood sugar often tanks about a half hour before my AM snack, lunch, and PM snack, which causes me to feel irritable, cold, and anxious.  The Lean Habits chapter says, with a lot of explanation that made sense to me, that eating 3-4 meals a day can help hypoglycemic metabolisms become more resilient and switch from carb-burning to fat-burning more easily.  She definitely says that intense exercise means that you might need 4 meals a day instead of 3, but eating 5 or 6 small meals a day means your body is constantly in carb-burning state, prone to crashes, and doesn't go through the optimal hormonal cycles.  According to her, it will not take long for the body to adapt, so I figure I might as well try it since it won't be a drawn out experiment.  I'm not like, YES THIS IS THE ANSWER, more like, this has been something I want to fix, let's experiment.

The other issue is that eating small meals burns up a ton of my willpower.  Volume eating is my jam.  Eating 3/4 c of greek yogurt at 9:30 makes me want to top it off with a grilled cheese sammich and maybe several handfuls of grapes.  I don't, but it takes up a lot of willpower to stop eating when it's a small amount even though I know objectively that it's the right amount of fuel and I will eat again in 3 hrs.

Yesterday I basically redistributed my normal food into 3 meals at 6am, 12, and 5pm.  I was definitely hungry for those meals but didn't overdo it or have hypoglycemia symptoms.  I'm going to monitor my weight and energy while I try this out...I'm totally open to doing 4 meals a day, upping the total amount of food, or scrapping the whole experiment completely.

I can tell, though, that this habit, plus the Eat Just Enough one, will be the hardest.  Most of the others I don't have issues with on the regular.  We shall see how it goes! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I almost didn't even read the first chapter of the book since it was about no snacking, but I did and it really gave me a lot of interesting ideas to work through.  Meal size and frequency was on my radar as something I wanted to work on, because I have not been to pleased about how reliant I am on it.  My blood sugar often tanks about a half hour before my AM snack, lunch, and PM snack, which causes me to feel irritable, cold, and anxious.  The Lean Habits chapter says, with a lot of explanation that made sense to me, that eating 3-4 meals a day can help hypoglycemic metabolisms become more resilient and switch from carb-burning to fat-burning more easily.  She definitely says that intense exercise means that you might need 4 meals a day instead of 3, but eating 5 or 6 small meals a day means your body is constantly in carb-burning state, prone to crashes, and doesn't go through the optimal hormonal cycles.  According to her, it will not take long for the body to adapt, so I figure I might as well try it since it won't be a drawn out experiment.  I'm not like, YES THIS IS THE ANSWER, more like, this has been something I want to fix, let's experiment.

The other issue is that eating small meals burns up a ton of my willpower.  Volume eating is my jam.  Eating 3/4 c of greek yogurt at 9:30 makes me want to top it off with a grilled cheese sammich and maybe several handfuls of grapes.  I don't, but it takes up a lot of willpower to stop eating when it's a small amount even though I know objectively that it's the right amount of fuel and I will eat again in 3 hrs.

Yesterday I basically redistributed my normal food into 3 meals at 6am, 12, and 5pm.  I was definitely hungry for those meals but didn't overdo it or have hypoglycemia symptoms.  I'm going to monitor my weight and energy while I try this out...I'm totally open to doing 4 meals a day, upping the total amount of food, or scrapping the whole experiment completely.

I can tell, though, that this habit, plus the Eat Just Enough one, will be the hardest.  Most of the others I don't have issues with on the regular.  We shall see how it goes! 

I had been working on snacking too so I'm testing this out, I am have however kept a 3 pm snack and as I said I will be eating after workouts.  It is work figuring that balance to eat enough to feel full enough to the next meal but not too full. I like bigger meals too. I don't like having to worry about having food. So, we'll try it and see how it works. I realized reading that I rarely actually feel any hunger. As you said, it is an experiment, to see if we can find something that works better than what we've been doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soror said:

I had been working on snacking too so I'm testing this out, I am have however kept a 3 pm snack and as I said I will be eating after workouts.  It is work figuring that balance to eat enough to feel full enough to the next meal but not too full. I like bigger meals too. I don't like having to worry about having food. So, we'll try it and see how it works. I realized reading that I rarely actually feel any hunger. As you said, it is an experiment, to see if we can find something that works better than what we've been doing.

I definitely realized yesterday that a lot of the unpleasant feelings I get between meals are hypoglycemia stuff, not actual hunger.  Yesterday it was no hypoglycemia feelings, just tummy growling (actual hunger).  So that in itself is interesting.

• Like 2

Well, just over two weeks after falling hard on the ice, I finally felt ok about getting back on the rowing machine tonight. Between a very bruised tailbone, sore back, and tender wrist, it just wasn’t happening until now. I intended to start slow and just do maybe 20 minutes, but I was feeling good, so I pushed it to 30. Then the show I was watching had a major plot twist and got super interesting so I kept going and eventually ended up going for an hour. My pace was incredibly slow, but it felt so good to be back that I just kept going. I seriously hope I don’t regret that decision tomorrow! 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

Well, just over two weeks after falling hard on the ice, I finally felt ok about getting back on the rowing machine tonight. Between a very bruised tailbone, sore back, and tender wrist, it just wasn’t happening until now. I intended to start slow and just do maybe 20 minutes, but I was feeling good, so I pushed it to 30. Then the show I was watching had a major plot twist and got super interesting so I kept going and eventually ended up going for an hour. My pace was incredibly slow, but it felt so good to be back that I just kept going. I seriously hope I don’t regret that decision tomorrow! 

I hope that you feel great today and can keep at it, injuries are no fun at all.

18 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I definitely realized yesterday that a lot of the unpleasant feelings I get between meals are hypoglycemia stuff, not actual hunger.  Yesterday it was no hypoglycemia feelings, just tummy growling (actual hunger).  So that in itself is interesting.

That is good to figure out the why to what you are feeling. I don't generally feel anything and I've noticed the last couple of months maybe that when I'm busy I don't go looking for a snack, which has told me there are likely plenty of times I'm eating them that I don't need them but I want one. Yesterday, however I noticed that I felt a bit weak before lunch and better afterwards. Now, I felt like I ate plenty for breakfast and hit fat, protein, and carbs. IDK, I'm also fighting a cold or some allergy business. I ended up taking over an hour nap yesterday and I've slept great the past 3 naps.

I ended up skipping the gym last night, my head is full of mucus and I'm just feeling tired. Today is about the same but hoping I start to improve. My body is a bit achy too.

If I can manage I'll do yoga again this am. 

• Like 3

The snow didn't stop until quite late in the day, and the rain never came at all. I took the dog and we walked for 1.5 hours in the dark evening. I had on my head-lamp and we walked through local woods and neighbourhoods. It was nice, and we were both tired by the end. My heavy winter hiking boots really increase the work-out of walking!

I'm going to do a quick ski at the local trails early this morning. This time I will remember to bring the skis along! 😉

• Like 3

The snow didn't stop until quite late in the day, and the rain never came at all. I took the dog and we walked for 1.5 hours in the dark evening. I had on my head-lamp and we walked through local woods and neighbourhoods. It was nice, and we were both tired by the end. My heavy winter hiking boots really increase the work-out of walking!

I'm going to do a quick ski at the local trails early this morning. This time I will remember to bring the skis along! 😉

What a lovely evening! It does make a big difference when you have more gear along, I've certainly noticed that, have fun skiing today!

• Like 2

15 min tai chi flow/ 15 min BodyCombat (this was one of the training videos so much slower)

I am not feeling very peppy today. And it seems now the rest of the house it taking a turn. I think it is just a little bug, no fevers or anything, so I'm still hoping it is gone soon. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soror said:

15 min tai chi flow/ 15 min BodyCombat (this was one of the training videos so much slower)

I am not feeling very peppy today. And it seems now the rest of the house it taking a turn. I think it is just a little bug, no fevers or anything, so I'm still hoping it is gone soon. 

Hope it blows over soon.

I got into work early, locked my office door and did some yoga for fifteen minutes.  At lunch time, I walked over to Mum's audiologist and back, which was a good brisk errand.

Yoga at work is a bit startling.  As the room is warm, I tend to just take off my trousers and do the yoga in just my top and underwear.  So I get to stare at my old-lady legs a lot.  Quite startling.  My legs look fine when I'm standing, and I think they are pretty strong, but as soon as they are inverted or swung to one side, the muscle slides off the bone when it is not engaged.  Hmm...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I got into work early, locked my office door and did some yoga for fifteen minutes.  At lunch time, I walked over to Mum's audiologist and back, which was a good brisk errand.

Yoga at work is a bit startling.  As the room is warm, I tend to just take off my trousers and do the yoga in just my top and underwear.  So I get to stare at my old-lady legs a lot.  Quite startling.  My legs look fine when I'm standing, and I think they are pretty strong, but as soon as they are inverted or swung to one side, the muscle slides off the bone when it is not engaged.  Hmm...

You are an inspiring woman! I would be slipping on a pair of capri yoga pants, for sure. A potential fire alarm would be one of the motivators for me to have some body cover.  Great job getting all that activity done in and around your normal day! 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wintermom said:

You are an inspiring woman! I would be slipping on a pair of capri yoga pants, for sure. A potential fire alarm would be one of the motivators for me to have some body cover.  Great job getting all that activity done in and around your normal day! 

Maybe a good idea.  The trousers are right on the floor next to me, but maybe I should find some old joggers to put on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Hope it blows over soon.

I agree with wintermom, that is braver than I would be! You know no one looks great in every position or lighting (dressing rooms make everyone look horrid I'm sure). I guess it is an exercise in self love or you can bring some pants 🙂 I'd be bringing pants just because I'd be terrified something might happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

I agree with wintermom, that is braver than I would be! You know no one looks great in every position or lighting (dressing rooms make everyone look horrid I'm sure). I guess it is an exercise in self love or you can bring some pants 🙂 I'd be bringing pants just because I'd be terrified something might happen!

Don't worry, I wear pants (British vocab joke).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@soror I'm sorry you are under the weather!  Hope it ends soon.

@Laura Corin I would be way too self-conscious to work out in my undies!  Go you!

Lifting was great yesterday, as was my morning 45 mins of running intervals.  CKD tonight.  Day 3 of practicing Lean Habits...I'm kind of cheating by doing Habits 1 and 2 concurrently, but eating 3x a day def makes me experience real hunger for 30-60 mins prior to my next meal, so both are being accomplished.  Still no hypoglycemia symptoms, which is great.  I am not going to weigh myself until after my period but I am interested to see if I will have maintained.  PMS is making me feel spacey and uncoordinated (I dropped every measuring utensil while making bread this morning, for reals) so I'm not expecting much of myself in class tonight except to sweat and socialize!

• Like 4

I've been thinking about the idea of trying to reduce snacks and have three or four good meals a day.  I've decided that, as I don't graze all day, what I am doing is okay and I don't want to disrupt it.  It's not that I'm eating all the time.  So it's something like:

Breakfast at 7am

Snack at 11am

Lunch at 1.40pm

Snack at 5.30pm

Supper at 7.30pm

The snacks/meals each include protein, fibre and some fat.

Today: brisk walk at lunchtime, then long yoga in the office after I 'leave work' at 4.  I brought some old 3/4 length yoga pants in to wear - I'll be thanking you ladies if there is ever a fire alarm.  The office is too warm for exercising really, but I hope the shorter pants will be okay.  This evening I'm meeting a friend for supper and a live broadcast of a London show at a local cinema, so no time to exercise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I've been thinking about the idea of trying to reduce snacks and have three or four good meals a day.  I've decided that, as I don't graze all day, what I am doing is okay and I don't want to disrupt it. 

For sure, I wouldn't mess around with it if you're feeling good and it's working!

• Like 2

Class last night was so awesome that I couldn't wait to get on here to write about it, haha.  For one thing, it was very fast-paced and high intensity, which I always like.  Half sparring, half air shield attacks like Monday night.  But I have been having difficulty with a few different things, and just a few well-worded insights from one of the instructors made some things click into place in my head.  One of the fixes was really simple, the other 2 will only take a couple of home practice sessions to put into muscle memory.  I love it when those kind of breakthroughs happen!  Interestingly, the instructor that helped me was one that I don't normally jive with all that well.  We have communication issues, or our senses of humor don't get each other, or something.  But he really spoke to me in just the right way last night.

Soooo, while I am mentally revved up to work out against this morning (lifting is on the schedule), unfortunately I am pretty tight and sore from running and class.  I may do bodyweight circuits or maybe take my rest day.  I reckon I'll see as my body wakes up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I've been thinking about the idea of trying to reduce snacks and have three or four good meals a day.  I've decided that, as I don't graze all day, what I am doing is okay and I don't want to disrupt it.  It's not that I'm eating all the time.  So it's something like:

Breakfast at 7am

Snack at 11am

Lunch at 1.40pm

Snack at 5.30pm

Supper at 7.30pm

Today: brisk walk at lunchtime, then long yoga in the office after I 'leave work' at 4.  I brought some old 3/4 length yoga pants in to wear - I'll be thanking you ladies if there is ever a fire alarm.  The office is too warm for exercising really, but I hope the shorter pants will be okay.  This evening I'm meeting a friend for supper and a live broadcast of a London show at a local cinema, so no time to exercise.

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Don't worry, I wear pants (British vocab joke).

LOL 🙂 I hope you never have a fire or any such emergency but I know I would be too paranoid! As they say, if it is not broke don't fix it. Enjoy the evening with your friend.

50 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Class last night was so awesome that I couldn't wait to get on here to write about it, haha.  For one thing, it was very fast-paced and high intensity, which I always like.  Half sparring, half air shield attacks like Monday night.  But I have been having difficulty with a few different things, and just a few well-worded insights from one of the instructors made some things click into place in my head.  One of the fixes was really simple, the other 2 will only take a couple of home practice sessions to put into muscle memory.  I love it when those kind of breakthroughs happen!  Interestingly, the instructor that helped me was one that I don't normally jive with all that well.  We have communication issues, or our senses of humor don't get each other, or something.  But he really spoke to me in just the right way last night.

Soooo, while I am mentally revved up to work out against this morning (lifting is on the schedule), unfortunately I am pretty tight and sore from running and class.  I may do bodyweight circuits or maybe take my rest day.  I reckon I'll see as my body wakes up.

15 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Lifting was great yesterday, as was my morning 45 mins of running intervals.  CKD tonight.  Day 3 of practicing Lean Habits...I'm kind of cheating by doing Habits 1 and 2 concurrently, but eating 3x a day def makes me experience real hunger for 30-60 mins prior to my next meal, so both are being accomplished.  Still no hypoglycemia symptoms, which is great.  I am not going to weigh myself until after my period but I am interested to see if I will have maintained.  PMS is making me feel spacey and uncoordinated (I dropped every measuring utensil while making bread this morning, for reals) so I'm not expecting much of myself in class tonight except to sweat and socialize!

That is awesome that you were able to have some things click, sometimes our brains can get in the way. Ya, for good exercises and feeling good with food too. Stretching might be good today with soreness.

I am on the mend, still not 100% but I can tell that I feel better today than yesterday so I'm really hoping I'm up for lifting tonight, even if I have to take it easier. Planning to do yoga this am.

I felt a bit weak again by lunch yesterday. So, I'll be watching for that today might be adding back in an am snack, I am also in ovulation time, so that always drives up hunger.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Breakfast at 7am

Snack at 11am

Lunch at 1.40pm

Snack at 5.30pm

Supper at 7.30pm

Either that, or if a maintenance guy suddenly walks in on you during an awkward pose! 🤪  Snacking-wise: if you have a system that words well for you, don't change it.  Enjoy the show tonight!!

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

So glad you had a great session last night. It's so motivating to make progress with skills!  I miss those high-intensity sparring drills, though not the sore muscles the next day. 😉  My body needs more recovery time now, as well. 

• Like 2

I went for an hour walk through the neighbourhood and small woods on an errand yesterday afternoon. It felt great in the wind and cold, though I was completely zonked afterwards. 

Today is very cold again (-23C with windchill), so I passed on the early morning outdoor session. I will be walking with friends this afternoon in our weekly woods hike. It's sunny, and should warm up somewhat by then. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, leahtalbot96 said:

I'm going to exercise in the gym tomorrow. I have been unwell all week but I feel better today so lets see how I feel tomorrow. 

You feeling better? 

I felt pretty good today. Lifting went ok at the gym. However, I did feel nauseous a bit, which I haven't had an issue with in a long time, I guess b/c I'm recovering from this little bug.

I did my Strong Curves today, I think I'll be sore tomorrow.

• Like 3

Morning all.  I'm really excited by how yoga is going.  Since I started doing it almost every day (from the beginning of January) at home, I'm making a lot of progress and feeling really good after each practice.  I have fewer wobbles in lunges (always my problem in the past - a combination of poor balance and poor technique, I think) and I'm feeling very strong.  It's been so windy here recently that walking has been irritating, so being able to do more serious yoga at home has been good.

I also feel that the sports massage is working for me.  I can now do head-to-knee on both sides, not just on one, and I'm not getting a back/hip tweak when I twist to the right.  I'm seeing the masseur again in a few weeks and I suspect that might be the last time I need to see her.  So glad I found a fix - I was thinking I might be stuck with that glitch forever.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Morning all.  I'm really excited by how yoga is going.  Since I started doing it almost every day (from the beginning of January) at home, I'm making a lot of progress and feeling really good after each practice.  I have fewer wobbles in lunges (always my problem in the past - a combination of poor balance and poor technique, I think) and I'm feeling very strong.  It's been so windy here recently that walking has been irritating, so being able to do more serious yoga at home has been good.

I also feel that the sports massage is working for me.  I can now do head-to-knee on both sides, not just on one, and I'm not getting a back/hip tweak when I twist to the right.  I'm seeing the masseur again in a few weeks and I suspect that might be the last time I need to see her.  So glad I found a fix - I was thinking I might be stuck with that glitch forever.

Well this is all good stuff, yay!  It's so great when you get to see daily practice pay off.  I'm glad the massage is working too! 

I still have some lack of stability in the foot/ankle that I had plantar fasciitis in last year and am using a unilateral strength training movement called one legged Romanian deadlift to self-rehab it.  Hopefully I will have success as well so I'm not stuck with that forever either.

• Like 4