Menu

Seeking ideas for warm travel destination

whitestavern

Looking to head somewhere warm in Feb, Mar, or early April even, some place that's not too expensive (maybe in the $2500 range for 4-5 days?). Bonus if there are nonstop flights from the northeast to the destination. Will be me, my husband, and 17 yo son. We enjoy seeing cultural sites, hiking/outdoorsy things to do, nice beaches/water, good food and drinks. Open to anywhere, really, as long as temps are 70s or above. Would prefer airbnb/apartment style lodging vs hotel, but open to either. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Possibly Cancun.  Many years ago (before I moved here, which was a surprise) I was planning to move to Cancun. For me, to be able to go 2 or 3 hours West, and take a tour of Chichen Itza, is an experience I have had the opportunity to do more than once, and will never forget. South of Cancun, 1 or 2 hours,there are also ruins at Tulum.  One can go to the island of Cozumel and Snorkel there. To Isla Mujeres. Not sure about hiking, but there are many outdoor activities one can do there and there are huge numbers of airline flights. AVOID SPRING BREAK!  

ETA: Possibly rent a Timeshare for 7 nights from SkyAuction.com  We rented one in Orlando from them on their eBay store and was a complete (tiny) 2 bedroom apartment. Fully equipped Kitchen.  I think the eBay store name is magicalholidays or something close to that.

Edited by Lanny
Add ETA
  • Like 3

No beaches/water, but February is the perfect month to visit the U.S. lower desert in the Southwest (southern AZ and NM). Day time temps average 70˚ (or higher), night time temps average 45-50˚. Several large cities to make staying at an AirBnB easy, and then drive to different locals for cultural sites and sightseeing and outdoors activities. Plenty of hiking and outdoors activities in the striking National Parks areas, plus Native American cultural/historical sites, historic Spanish missions, and some nice museums of various types.

When scheduling yourself: be aware of crowded times due to special events: 
- 3rd week of February = Fiesta de los Vaqueros in southern AZ (biggest international Rodeo, takes place in Tucson)
- mid-March = college spring break -- warmer climates, esp. with water/beaches are packed with partying college students
- mid-April = Easter -- 3-day weekend holiday can spike tourists everywhere

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We’ve enjoyed two wonderful trips to San Diego with everything you describe, including staying in VRBO apartments (one a divided house, the other a garage apt behind a house) in residential neighborhoods within walking distance of Balboa Park and lots of restaurants.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Frances said:

We’ve enjoyed two wonderful trips to San Diego with everything you describe, including staying in VRBO apartments (one a divided house, the other a garage apt behind a house) in residential neighborhoods within walking distance of Balboa Park and lots of restaurants.

I was going to recommend the same thing.  🙂   We've done this a few times, in the same area.  I love being near Balboa Park!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, whitestavern said:

nonstop flights from the northeast to the destination.

You can see this with the flight maps for the airlines. I like to fly Southwest, so that's where I would be checking first. You might find you have more options than you'd expect. From where we are, I can fly to Texas, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. all for about the same price. 

If you're game for snorkeling, you could consider a cruise (yes!) or flying directly to one place and staying on the beach. Some of the places (Roatan, Grand Cayman, Belize, etc.) have the reefs to snorkel, mangroves to kayak or paddle board, caverns to swim/tube, etc.). Lots of adventure for active people.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

...  We love love love Sedona but I'm now thinking we'll probably go in February so it might be too cold then.

Yes, Sedona (and Albuquerque, which I HIGHLY recommend as a destination sometime!!) are at mid desert altitude, so in Feb. they are in the 50˚s - 60s˚, depending on what the weather is doing.

If you've never done the low desert, October and February are FANTASTIC times to visit -- SO much to see/do around Tucson, AZ. You could fly direct into Phoenix and then drive (2-2.5 hours) to Tucson, and have oodles of great things to see and do.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1