Menu

Update: Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Cry

I thought we were done with the application process; DD has been admitted to a handful of schools already and we are just waiting on a SUNY school.  Today she gets a letter saying her application is incomplete and asking for a high school transcript, with a notation that says "Home School Clearing House".  I'm sure they are not cheering me on about clearing out our homeschool supplies.  What in the actual heck do they want?

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reefgazer said:

I thought we were done with the application process; DD has been admitted to a handful of schools already and we are just waiting on a SUNY school.  Today she gets a letter saying her application is incomplete and asking for a high school transcript, with a notation that says "Home School Clearing House".  I'm sure they are not cheering me on about clearing out our homeschool supplies.  What in the actual heck do they want?

That simply means a homeschool transcript that is complying with your state law.  If you transcript is missing the words official high school transcript, that could be why.  I always include that wording as well as Conducted in compliance with XX (state) code: § ###### on the transcript.  That has been accepted without question.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

That simply means a homeschool transcript that is complying with your state law.  If you transcript is missing the words official high school transcript, that could be why.  I always include that wording as well as Conducted in compliance with XX (state) code: § ###### on the transcript.  That has been accepted without question.

It complies with state law and has that wording on it.

Since you said SUNY, I assume this is a New York doesn't like homeschoolers thing. 

One old thread, ""a recognized home school clearing house program" what is this?, asks a similar question. I think they are prompting for a transcript from a cover school, an accredited school, or some other "official" organization.

I'd suggest you do what 8 suggestions & call admissions. SUNYs, from what I remember from previous threads, are notorious for giving homeschoolers a bad time - like insisting they take the GED. I hope a phone call or three will clear it up for you.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Since you said SUNY, I assume this is a New York doesn't like homeschoolers thing. 

One old thread, ""a recognized home school clearing house program" what is this?, asks a similar question. I think they are prompting for a transcript from a cover school, an accredited school, or some other "official" organization.

I'd suggest you do what 8 suggestions & call admissions. SUNYs, from what I remember from previous threads, are notorious for giving homeschoolers a bad time - like insisting they take the GED. I hope a phone call or three will clear it up for you.

Which is particularly odd as NY does not actually recognize cover schools, online schools, etc. in their law.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  So I did contact the SUNY school admission office and talkedto the admissions officer and explained that we don't have a cover school in this state (which is apparently what they were asking for- but the transcript be sent from a cover school). So after doing that they said okay we'll update a records to reflect that your transcript sent is the official one.  Anyway, to make a long story short my daughter did get into that school.

• Like 18

10 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

Update:  So I did contact the SUNY school admission office and talkedto the admissions officer and explained that we don't have a cover school in this state (which is apparently what they were asking for- but the transcript be sent from a cover school). So after doing that they said okay we'll update a records to reflect that your transcript sent is the official one.  Anyway, to make a long story short my daughter did get into that school.

I am so glad to hear it was that easy! And congrats to your dd! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

Hooray!  Thank you for coming back to update.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1