Menu

SUNY application process for out-of-state homeschoolers

Tiramisu

I moved to NY last summer, but here's my best guess--first, I'd write them and ask what they need as an out of state. I bet they'll ask for the same stuff as NY homeschoolers. If so, I'd look up NY regulations( which are the 4 or 5 things listed on the New Palz website) and tailor your info to those. The IHIP, curriculum list, reports on what you've accomplished, hours, etc--they may be tedious, but you've probably got all that stuff recorded. The sticky part may be the letter from a superintendent stating your child has done the equivalent of a public high school curriculum. What does your state require? Can you print out a diploma?

Really? I would use this as an opportunity to educate them on homeschooling in the country. Let them know what other states have or don't have as laws and on how their policy is myopic and discriminatory. :) Of course, I would do it gently and with kind words.

I would contact undergraduate admissions and explain the situation. Ask them what they'd like to see.

I've done that a couple of times for schools in states with more restrictive homeschool laws. I just explain that my state does not credential or certify homeschool coursework, and that my daughter will not take the GED. I also provide her ACT score, dual enrollment GPA and overall high school GPA. Then I ask how I can facilitate their ability to evaluate her in the same context as everyone else.

I still think you'd be wasting your time doing that. lol. I think SUNY schools are probably better than many state U 's. Actually, I don't think their policy is myopic or discriminatory. It's basically NY public universities treating out of state homeschoolers the same as in state. I'll even go so far as to say that NY hs laws are really not as complicated as people like to say they are, but that could because the district I'm in seems to be very friendly to the homeschool families(two of us!) here...

Yes--and the IHIPs are actually a very helpful resource when applying to college.

And Dot, reading your blog-- we got a big laugh out of your Illiterate Pete photo. We always pass that crazy guy on our way to Arnot.:D

I went ahead and spoke with an admission's counselor. She said I either had to have dd take the GED or get our superintendent to write a letter saying she has completed or on track to complete all requirements.:001_smile:

Many NYS colleges (and many high schools) have a simple superintendent form entitled "Verification of Completion of Section 100.10 Requirements--Superintendent Form for Home-Schooled Students"

The superintendent checks "Yes" four times and signs his/her name to indicate:

-intent to homeschool was filed

-IHIP was filed

-required courses were completed

-annual assessments were completed and passed

Perhaps your school district has this form on file.

If not, I could send you a sample that would help you create the simple form you need for your college.

Many NYS colleges (and many high schools) have a simple superintendent form entitled "Verification of Completion of Section 100.10 Requirements--Superintendent Form for Home-Schooled Students"

The superintendent checks "Yes" four times and signs his/her name to indicate:

-intent to homeschool was filed

-IHIP was filed

-required courses were completed

-annual assessments were completed and passed

Perhaps your school district has this form on file.

If not, I could send you a sample that would help you create the simple form you need for your college.

I appreciate your offer. The only problem is that in my state I don't have to do any of the things on the list. I could take the transcript from Kolbe Academy and show it to the superintendent and just ask for him to write a simple letter of verification that we're doing what we're supposed to be doing.

Actually you don't have to take the GED. You can get a GED by college credit. The school just holds the grades until the GED is complete. Of course explaining this can be a pain. Keep at it. :)

I'm very curious how this would work if they need the GED for the admissions application. I just tell them I'm applying without the GED but I'd like them to apply the courses dd takes toward a GED. Meanwhile, they hold the grades until the GED-by-college-credit is complete. Right?

Of course, she'd have to take the right kind of classes to fill the GED requirements. How do I find out what those courses would be?

While the whole use college credit towards GED sounds good, it doesn't really work that well in practice. Techincally in NY you don't need to prove high school equivalency until you graduate from college, but almost all the SUNYs ask you to prove it before you matriculate. So it is a kind of a catch 22, because you can't enroll and take the classes until you are admitted, but you can't be admitted without showing equivalency. Also the regulations specifically state you have to be a matriculated student for the classes to count toward the GED, so dual enrolled classes taken in high school don't count. I argued about this with a SUNY admissions counselor a few years ago, and ended up just giving up and getting the letter from the Superintendent.

I'm in upstate NY and my son requested the letter from super a few weeks ago. It arrived yesterday and stated:

Dear......,

The Equivilancy Review Panel of ..............School District met today and reviewed your homeschooling records, and to consider if those materials demonstrate that .......'s home school program was substantially equivalent to a four-year high school program in New York State. The Review Panel recommended that I certify a finding of substantial equivalency. Congratulations and best wishes as you move onto higher learning.

Sincerely,

Superintendant........

Edited by Myra

I still think you'd be wasting your time doing that. lol. I think SUNY schools are probably better than many state U 's. Actually, I don't think their policy is myopic or discriminatory. It's basically NY public universities treating out of state homeschoolers the same as in state. I'll even go so far as to say that NY hs laws are really not as complicated as people like to say they are, but that could because the district I'm in seems to be very friendly to the homeschool families(two of us!) here...

I can't imagine that any school official in Virginia would sign a document stating that a homeschooler had met state requirements for a high school diploma, unless that student had passed each and every End of Course exam required for a public schooled student.

They might be willing to sign something stating that the student had complied with state law to notify the district of their intention to homeschool and to provide proof of progress. But to say that course work met a certain level? No way.

They would not expect that a Virginia public school high schooler complete NY Regents exams or study NY state history, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to realize that specific requirements for homeschoolers in NY are not all reasonable for out of state applicants.

That said, there are plenty of applicants for most colleges, so I guess they can request what they want. But there are also a lot of colleges and I think there are only a few that provide something unique that is worth contorting for.

They don't want a letter saying they met state requirements for a diploma, just that the education was "substantially equivalent" to a high school education, and met state law. I would guess most superintendents would be willing to write that kind of letter. It is also possible that an accredited diploma from some place like Kolbe would be accepted too. I know a few years ago the SUNYs would accept an accredited correspondence diploma - unless you lived in New York of course.

They don't want a letter saying they met state requirements for a diploma, just that the education was "substantially equivalent" to a high school education, and met state law. I would guess most superintendents would be willing to write that kind of letter. It is also possible that an accredited diploma from some place like Kolbe would be accepted too. I know a few years ago the SUNYs would accept an accredited correspondence diploma - unless you lived in New York of course.

According to one site I looked at, they wanted the diploma to be issued by a school accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies, and Kolbe has private school accreditation. This was good enough for our NJ public colleges.

As a SUNY New Paltz alumni, my advise is don't bother. This is not a school that is worth jumping through hoops for. Of course I graduated many years ago and it may have gotten better, I don't think it would be possible for it to have gotten worst.

As a SUNY New Paltz alumni, my advise is don't bother. This is not a school that is worth jumping through hoops for. Of course I graduated many years ago and it may have gotten better, I don't think it would be possible for it to have gotten worst.

I read the article on Wikipedia SUNY New Paltz, and I'm thinking that it's not worth bothering about. Dh was horrified.

I read the article on Wikipedia SUNY New Paltz, and I'm thinking that it's not worth bothering about. Dh was horrified.

I could tell you stories that you make you vomit. Again IMHO so not worth jumping through hoop to attend.

All schools have some bad reviews and wiki is hardly the place to look. ;)

Ummm I do not know a single Texas superintendent that would be willing to write that letter. We have no requirements, no checking in. How in the world would they be willing to sign something like that for us.. I love our freedom here in Texas. I just realize that my children cannot go to college in New York or California, which is fine... I don't even want to visit there!! Well, ok maybe a short visit... Grin..we Texans like our nation... We don't give up our independence very easily..

This is one area where coming from a regulated state sure helps with college options. We ran across a similar situation with middle son, but the school flat out told us since we came from PA (regulated state that checks progress yearly) we'd be ok. If we'd lived in NJ (or other non-regulated states, but they specifically mentioned NJ), they'd have wanted substantially more.

We didn't pick PA due to regulations, but I thank my lucky stars we ended up here in the aspect of keeping our options open (and I love it here for other "life" reasons...).

We are in Ohio, which is not as regulated as PA or NY.

I would not want to homeschool in NY for the simple fact that due to NY's homeschooling laws, my kids would be required to take the GED in order to obtain NCAA approval so they could play college tennis. Homeschoolers from NY are the only student/athletes in the country that are required to take the GED.

All schools have some bad reviews and wiki is hardly the place to look. ;)

I didn't exactly see the Wiki article as a bad review. Some might have actually seen it as a good one, particularly the person who suggested we look at it. ;)

The article did refer to specific, objective decisions that were made in the past that would likely indicate a kind of culture where I know dd would not be comfortable.

Of course, there are other things that I would look at to make sure that dd would find a comfortable place for herself there if our choices were limited and we had to consider the New Paltz option seriously.

I'm wondering if my middle son would be interested in Gettysburg College. .... I know I'll have to jump through more hoops, but for him it might be easier.

I suspect that private colleges (in NY or PA) will have far fewer hoops than public institutions. Admittedly, selective colleges will have hoops wherever they are.

Regards,

Kareni

My son was accepted at 4 SUNY colleges as an in-state home schooler. He had no extra "hoops to jump through" in the application process. He did the common application with the homeschooling supplement, submitted his SAT scores, and that was it. If he did end up going to one of the SUNYs, he would have to submit his Super's Letter of Equivalency this summer (or GED or 24-hour college credits or take regent exams). That's it as an in-state homeschooler.

Myra

The article did refer to specific, objective decisions that were made in the past that would likely indicate a kind of culture where I know dd would not be comfortable.

My kids, too. And female/male ratio 3:1 ... really??? Wow. :001_huh:

I'm a native New Yorker, BTW, transplanted to the west coast.