Menu

2020 52 books in 52 weeks - Are you ready to take the plunge yet?

Robin M

I've never done this either, but I'm ready for it!  I rather like the idea of the Bingo because "broadening" my reading scope is a major goal.  I've already started with some fantasy and Sci-fi whereas my go-to genres are memoir, classic lit, and mysteries.....  

Is this thread(s) an "anything related to books" or more-streamlined?  So, we just post when we've read a book?  Want to talk about it?  Finished a challenge? Ask for recs?  Just trying to clarify all this in my head before we go live on Weds. 🙂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

I've never done this either, but I'm ready for it!  I rather like the idea of the Bingo because "broadening" my reading scope is a major goal.  I've already started with some fantasy and Sci-fi whereas my go-to genres are memoir, classic lit, and mysteries.....  

Is this thread(s) an "anything related to books" or more-streamlined?  So, we just post when we've read a book?  Want to talk about it?  Finished a challenge? Ask for recs?  Just trying to clarify all this in my head before we go live on Weds. 🙂

For me the BaW threads tend to be all of the above so perhaps anything related to books is the best answer.  I think it depends on the individual and how much they want to share.  We will definitely cheer you on if you want to post what you read and complete challenges.  If you want rec’s someone(s) will do their best.  If you want to talk about kindle freebies or a fun book loving tshirt you found you will be welcome. 

We are planning some group reads for next year ( Lord of the Rings because it’s been awhile) and people will be popping into that depending on the book I suspect.  We definitely are not a competition.😉

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have a question--do you have to wait to start the first book until 1/1?  Or just finish it 1/1 or later?

Not sure what Robin’s POV on this is but would hate for you not to read because you are waiting so will jump in.  I normally have at least one book that carries over.  I can’t imagine going to bed without reading a few pages.   That said I normally avoid books for my Bingo until the new year but that may very well be me being picky!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

Wonderful!  Glad you are diving in! 

29 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

For me the BaW threads tend to be all of the above so perhaps anything related to books is the best answer.  I think it depends on the individual and how much they want to share.  We will definitely cheer you on if you want to post what you read and complete challenges.  If you want rec’s someone(s) will do their best.  If you want to talk about kindle freebies or a fun book loving tshirt you found you will be welcome. 

We are planning some group reads for next year ( Lord of the Rings because it’s been awhile) and people will be popping into that depending on the book I suspect.  We definitely are not a competition.😉

Yes, what mum said. Anything book related.

4 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have a question--do you have to wait to start the first book until 1/1?  Or just finish it 1/1 or later?

29 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Not sure what Robin’s POV on this is but would hate for you not to read because you are waiting so will jump in.  I normally have at least one book that carries over.  I can’t imagine going to bed without reading a few pages.   That said I normally avoid books for my Bingo until the new year but that may very well be me being picky!

Mum and I think alike. 🙂  You don't have to wait until the first to start reading.  Anything you finish in 2020, but started in 2019 will count.  I have a chunky book as well as another one I started yesterday that I'm carrying over to 2020. 

There are some general guidelines which I have posted on the 52 Books blog.

The challenge will run from January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020 
Our book weeks will begin on Sunday
Week one will begin on Wednesday, January 1 and run through January 11. 
Participants may join at any time. 
All books are acceptable except children books.** 
All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc. 
Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2020
Books may overlap other challenges. 

With regard to children's books, if a child involved in the challenge is reading the book, it's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and over 100 pages. If you are an adult reading for your own enjoyment, a good rule of thumb to use:  "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then it doesn't count.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

On 12/27/2019 at 2:32 PM, Junie said:

Go to google and type in the name of your book.  I hit the search for images, but I think this part is probably not necessary.

Choose the book cover that you want and Right Click on it.  You should see a list of about 12 options.  About 2/3 of the way down the list is Copy Image.  Click on that.

Come back over to your post over here and Paste (Control+V).  It may take a minute for the image to load.

Is there a trick to posting a book cover from a Mac? The right click option isn't working for me.

• Like 4

On 12/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, aggieamy said:

Number one goal! Keep up with my reading group (y'all) because otherwise I'm adrift in a sea of not reading and I hate that. I get so many wonderful book recommendations from this group. I'm just paraphrasing wise things @mumto2 has said but this group has expanded my interest and I've found my favorite authors through books others have read.

I'm so bummed I missed the year of mystery Robin setup by being MIA so I'm going to attempt that to some degree ...

I haven't been as active as usual this year either because we had a lot going on, but when I did participate I definitely noticed your absence. I hope we can both be more active in 2020. 

• Like 6

Hi Everyone!

Just joined the boards - well, actually I just re-signed up and returned to the boards! Have always loved these forums. I homeschooled our son from K - 12th and a year ago he graduated college. I've decided to jump in and catch up on some much needed reading! So I'm looking forward to being a part and reading my 52 books this year. (Hoping I can manage the full 52 being in school again myself. LOL) 

Now to figure out what I'm going to read! 

Thanks for having me!
Paige

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SnowySilence said:

Hi Everyone!

Just joined the boards - well, actually I just re-signed up and returned to the boards! Have always loved these forums. I homeschooled our son from K - 12th and a year ago he graduated college. I've decided to jump in and catch up on some much needed reading! So I'm looking forward to being a part and reading my 52 books this year. (Hoping I can manage the full 52 being in school again myself. LOL) 

Thanks for having me!
Paige

This is a great time to join BaW! I joined when my kids went off to college -  I never would have had the time to read all this when I was still homeschooling (and huge props to those who do manage it...) this has been a great way to keep my brain engaged and also keep in touch with this wonderful community.

If you join in, you will never have to worry about figuring out what to read.  That used to be a big problem for me, as I don't tend toward the 'popular' books.  Now my to-read list is over 1600 books... :blush:   Goodreads is a great way to keep track of all that... before I'd make lists and lose them....

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

This is a great time to join BaW! I joined when my kids went off to college -  I never would have had the time to read all this when I was still homeschooling (and huge props to those who do manage it...) this has been a great way to keep my brain engaged and also keep in touch with this wonderful community.

If you join in, you will never have to worry about figuring out what to read.  That used to be a big problem for me, as I don't tend toward the 'popular' books.  Now my to-read list is over 1600 books... :blush:   Goodreads is a great way to keep track of all that... before I'd make lists and lose them....

Soooo... How do you use Goodreads to keep track?  I thought that was just for listing books already read.....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, vmsurbat1 said:

Soooo... How do you use Goodreads to keep track?  I thought that was just for listing books already read.....

Oh, no!!  You can mark any book you want to read as "To-Read" and it puts it on your To-Read shelf.  Then, while you're reading it, you can mark it as "Currently Reading" and it goes on that shelf.  Then, when you're done, you mark it as "Read", and it gets sorted to your "Read" shelf.  To-Read, Currently Reading, and Read are all shelves that you get by default in GR.  A book an only be on one of those at a time.  If you mark it as "Currently Reading" it shows up on the left, and if you're a complete nut like me, you can update how far you've gotten in the book so far as you're reading it.

But then you can make other shelves for categories, like non-fiction, sci-fi, romance, horror, mystery, poetry, short stories, plays, fantasy, or whatever the heck you want, and books can be on more than one of those shelves.  If you want to find, say, a mystery book on your To-Read shelf, you can sort by "Mystery" and "To-Read", and it will limit it to just that.  

If you are good about recording what you've read, it will also automatically sort by all books read in a year under "Stats".  It also makes a pretty "Year in Books" page for you.  It will also sort by all kinds of other things.  If you rate books, you can sort by how you rated them.  Or, you can sort by date published, or author, or when you read it, or when you added it to your shelf, or pretty much any column in the database.

If you make friends with BaW people who are on GR, you will also see what they're reading.  Then if you like a book, it's so super easy to click "Want to Read", and voila, it's on your shelf.

You can also do other things like post actual text reviews, put in commentary (either public or notes to yourself) as you're reading the book, join in groups there... I don't do any of those, but you can.  

The one thing Goodreads is completely awful at is computer-generated recommendations based on what you've read.  Apparently no one there has figured out how to program that properly.  I get really stupid and wacko suggestions, which are easy to ignore.  Suggestions from friends with similar tastes is awesome.  If you want computer-generated suggestions, the Amazon algorithm works much better (and yes, Amazon owns GR.  I can't explain the huge discrepancy).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Robin M said:

Anything book related

And interpreted broadly, at that. I mean, when you think about it, isn't everything book related?

The thing to keep in mind is that there's no competition, no judgment, nothing like that. It's really not unlike the fitness/exercise thread. Everyone does what she does, at whatever level she does it, and the point is to keep ourselves accountable and have fun and let the group nature of the activity keep us on task. To that end, if you get to the end of January and you haven't finished a book, who cares? You're still part of Book a Week. If someone else is reading five books a week, that's fine too. Marathon runners and gentle walkers are all welcome.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Thanks so much! And I totally agree with you - I couldn't have done this like I want while homeschooling! Can't wait to add to my reading list! 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SnowySilence said:

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for having me!
Paige

Welcome back to the board and congratulations to your son!  Glad you are joining in!  What are you studying? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Welcome back to the board and congratulations to your son!  Glad you are joining in!  What are you studying? 

Thank you so much, Robin! I am excited to be here to read, and it's exciting to have him graduated, working, and doing well! 

I am actually getting a masters degree in seminary in Family Ministry and Discipleship - Now that my son is graduated I have become a full time children's director at our church. 🙂 My background, however, was Elementary Education, but I always used that degree on my son. 🙂

Edited by SnowySilence
correction
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

The one thing Goodreads is completely awful at is computer-generated recommendations based on what you've read. 

Ah.  I had noticed this the brief time I was on Goodreads...  Hence, I've not followed up with it.   However, with your great description, I know what I'll be doing over the holidays.... 🙂  Thanks so much!

• Like 2