Menu

s/o Lasagna - pre-boiling noodles

skimomma

Am I the only one who lives dangerously and uses regular lasagna noodles (not the no-boil kind) without boiling them?  I even use whole wheat noodles.  I just double the amount of sauce for the extra moisture.  We love sauce so it is win-win.  The store I frequent doesn't carry the no-boil kind in whole wheat and I am too lazy to hit up another store, so I tried this years ago and it was fine.  I was curious when I saw on the other thread that people find lasagna to be too many steps.

• Like 3

Nope that's how I how do it too (although I don't double the sauce because we like the cheese not the sauce)  I stopped boiling noodles long before no-boil noodles were ever a thing so I was quite confused when they came out (and still am) because it really make no sense to spend so much more on them when you can just use regular noodles.

56 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

I boil mine because every time I don’t, my lasagna overflows because my pan is too small 😞

I finally convinced my mom that she didn’t have to pre-boil noodles and now she makes All kinds of lasagnas!

I had the problem of overflowing too so I bought two of these.  I love that they hold more food (cause my family eats a lot) but also they are also super easy to clean.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFWKEJM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ABBZD5WJZRQDK&psc=1

14 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I put them in a baking pan and pour a kettle of boiling water over them while I’m preparing the rest of the stuff. It adds moisture and some bend, but doesn’t really cook them. 

I am definitely going to try this.  Once in a  while our lasagnas are a bit too chewy and this might take the edge off.

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't even double the sauce all the time.  You can prepare as directed and add water around the edges of the pan to fill it before you put it in the oven, the noodles cook just the same.  Even with gluten free noodles.

I make vegetarian lasagna.  Another trick I use is to put layers of pre-baked spaghetti squash in place of the meat layer.  Not only does this make the dish a complete meal that uses only one pan but it also adds moisture to help cook the pasta.  I bake many spaghetti squashes as one time, then scoop and freeze.  I can just grab a bag from the freezer any time I make lasagna.   

Just now, skimomma said:

I make vegetarian lasagna.  Another trick I use is to put layers of pre-baked spaghetti squash in place of the meat layer.  Not only does this make the dish a complete meal that uses only one pan but it also adds moisture to help cook the pasta.  I bake many spaghetti squashes as one time, then scoop and freeze.  I can just grab a bag from the freezer any time I make lasagna.   

That sounds delicious, but I have an irrational hatred of spaghetti squash (and turkey) that stems from a weight-watchers kick my mother got on when I was a child.  I still hate the texture, even though I like other squashes just fine, and other slimey foods like okra just fine.