Menu

makeup tutorials for over 40 ladies?

ktgrok

I need to chime back in on Hot and Flashy:

1. She does do Botox, etc.

2. She gives conflicting advice on products (her recommendations for people new to makeup are for different products than for people doing a full face)

3. She now leans towards high end products—pay attention to her drug store brand videos. I do use a mix of products, and her recommendations do usually line up with my own experiences. My skin is more neutral/cool toned than hers, though, so the actual colors of eye shadow, etc are different for me.

Hot and Flashy.

yes, she uses botox, but her make up and skincare ingredients information is helpful.  I agree that she wears too much make up now.  

I also like:

Mrs.MelissaM

Melissa55

Stephanie Marie (she's closer to your age than the above ladies)

Penn.Smith Makeup - she's an esthetician.. mostly high end stuff, but she is also informative about skin care ingredients, etc.  She has very dry skin so a lot of her stuff isn't helpful for me, but I still learn a lot from her.

And Dr. Dray is great for skincare stuff too. 

I had to switch from powders too. I use ByeBye foundation by IT. Expensive but a pea sized amount does my entire face and wears very well. 

off to check out vids to see what I’m doing wrong. LOL

I wear trifocal glasses and can I just say I’m ready to give up and have permanent eyeliner makeup done so more eyeliner stays on my eyes instead of eyeball?

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I had to switch from powders too. I use ByeBye foundation by IT. Expensive but a pea sized amount does my entire face and wears very well. 

off to check out vids to see what I’m doing wrong. LOL

I wear trifocal glasses and can I just say I’m ready to give up and have permanent eyeliner makeup done so more eyeliner stays on my eyes instead of eyeball?

Have you watched  MaryEllen over 60?  She got permanent eyeliner.  I think she  may have had it done before she started her youtube channel, but she talks about it at least once or twice. 

25 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Have you watched  MaryEllen over 60?  She got permanent eyeliner.  I think she  may have had it done before she started her youtube channel, but she talks about it at least once or twice. 

I haven’t watched or read anything. I just know that A,) I’m going to eventually blind myself trying to apply eyeliner or B.) I could find a reputable place to do it permanently for less than $800-ish.  A bargain compared to blindness. Or high quality eyeliner for however long I have to live, unless I die younger than I’d like. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I watched it. I really like how hers looks at her age!  It looks very well done. I’d love to find a typical day by day results. How long would I look abused? How long before I could wear makeup?  And mostly I want recs near me but I’m not finding much. Several places I’ve looked into didn’t even keep photos of samples of their work to show. 

• Like 1

Angie, Hot and Flashy has good beginner make up videos.  The title may be for over 50 but there's a lot of good infor and products she recommends Drug store and high end.

Dr. Drey is a young dermatologist but does good product reviews on basic skin care and what to look for.  Very informative.

One mroe I just thought of is Tracy Hensel.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 2

These "beginner" makeup videos on HotnFlashy show simpler/lighter looks than the heavy makeup Angie tends to wear now:

Easy Natural Beginner Makeup for Mature Women (2017)

Easy Beginner Makeup for Mature Women — Drugstore Version (2017)

Makeup 101: Beginner Make Up for Mature Women Who Don't Wear Makeup (2018)

Makeup 101: Mature Beginner Start Up Makeup Kit (2019)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Corraleno said:

These "beginner" makeup videos on HotnFlashy show simpler/lighter looks than the heavy makeup Angie tends to wear now:

Easy Natural Beginner Makeup for Mature Women (2017)

Easy Beginner Makeup for Mature Women — Drugstore Version (2017)

Makeup 101: Beginner Make Up for Mature Women Who Don't Wear Makeup (2018)

Makeup 101: Mature Beginner Start Up Makeup Kit (2019)

I was scrolling through her stuff and saw the how to open hooded eyes up and making blue eyes pop episode - holy crap that’s me!  I tried it this morning and it was awesome sauce. Granted there was a huge amount of eyeliner carnage but I got 4 compliments on my makeup this morning and one was my bff since 7th grade and she usually hates that I wear makeup at all. 

Now as an aside... am I the only one who wishes someone who didn’t look like a cover girl sans makeup would do makeup tutorials? I need an average gal just wanting to not look like mince meat tutorial. Though beauty pageant winner makes herself even more gorgeous is helpful too,  it’s not quite in my realm of personal achievement. lol

• Like 2

Am I the only mid/late 40s woman who has all the older skin issues (thin, dry, creases) plus all the tween issues (pimples, oily) plus needs her makeup to be sweat/water/smear proof?  I used to never wear makeup bc it fried my face. Now I wear makeup to protect my face and the IT stuff seems to actually help some of my issues. 

I put on my makeup post morning workout and I need it to make it through afternoon and evening workout, kids, possibly swimming, and general all day and night. 

IT is excellent but after about 12 hours it’s showing wear. 

I found a fabulous mascara it dang near make me look like I have false lashes and it stays on come heck or high water without irritating my eyes. Damn Girl! By Too Faced

I’d like a foundation or SPF tint and an eyeliner.  I don’t wear a lot but I often go from pool/beach to eat out with just a super quick shower between. No time to blow dry hair and redo all the makeup. Or I’ll exercise for an hour and immediately get in the van to go do whatever. I don’t need to look made up all the time, but I do want to look ready for the day/evening come what may. 

Edited by Murphy101

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

Am I the only mid/late 40s woman who has all the older skin issues (thin, dry, creases) plus all the tween issues (pimples, oily) plus needs her makeup to be sweat/water/smear proof?

I put on my makeup post morning workout and I need it to make it through afternoon and evening workout, kids, possibly swimming, and general all day and night. 

IT is excellent but after about 12 hours it’s showing wear. 

I found a fabulous mascara it dang near make me look like I have false lashes and it stays on come heck or high water without irritating my eyes. Damn Girl! By Too Faced

I’d like a foundation or SPF tint and an eyeliner.  I don’t wear a lot but I often go from pool/beach to eat out with just a super quick shower between. No time to blow dry hair and redo all the makeup. Or I’ll exercise for an hour and immediately get in the van to go do whatever. I don’t need to look made up all the time, but I do want to look ready for the day/evening come what may. 

Sounds like we are skin twins—dealing with the same issues.

Do you prime below your IT? That was a huge help to me. If I want to go 12 hours, I have to prime, then cc+, then use a setting powder. I will have to repowder after lunch and before supper. 

I still get a little movement around my lacrimal duct from the foundation. I usually just dab that away with my pre-supper touchup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Have you tried YSL All Hours? https://www.yslbeautyus.com/makeup/face-makeup/all-hours-foundation/2850YSL.html?cgid=makeup-face&dwvar_2850YSL_color=B 10 Porcelain#start=2&cgid=makeup-face

That with Urban Decay All Nighter sprayed over is pretty solid. I wouldn't do it every day- I feel like it does clog my pores after a bunch of consecutive days, but for those long days, it works really well and doesn't slide around. I don't have the thin/dry issue yet, but I still do have pretty oily skin- add in our humidity and there are more foundations I can't use around here than I can. 

I've also found that different primers do better with different make ups. Some really sabatoage wear time. I usually skip the primer and go for the setting spray instead. 

You could also try something like this during the day: https://www.chanel.com/us/skincare/p/141050/hydra-beauty-essence-mist-hydration-protection-radiance-energizing-mist/

I'm sure there is a dupe somewhere that's cheaper. I don't usually need help with hydration as I can just walk outside and be hit with a 97% humidity sauna, LOL, so I've only used a sample of it. My Mom swears by this stuff instead: https://www.chanel.com/us/skincare/p/141050/hydra-beauty-essence-mist-hydration-protection-radiance-energizing-mist/

ETA- you could try a smaple of this too from Dior at Sephora- https://www.sephora.com/product/forever-matte-foundation-P439940?skuId=2178739

I feel like what I've tried of the IT stuff is really cakey and heavy, but I know some people love it. 

I’ll go look at those recs - thanks!

I think too many people try to apply high end makeup the same as drug store brands and ime that’s not good. It takes a LOT less of IT to get a great result. That and making sure they are using the proper type of applicator. idk if any of that apply to you or others, but that’s my first two thoughts when I see caked makeup of any kind. 

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I’d like a foundation or SPF tint and an eyeliner.  I don’t wear a lot but I often go from pool/beach to eat out with just a super quick shower between. 

She has a video on this and her top two were Loreal Magic Skin BB Cream and IT Your Skin But Better CC+