Menu

Won't This Be Fun! Please help me schedule an Algebra 1.5 class...

Yes, you read that right, an Algebra 1.5 class.  🙂

Not 1, not quite 2, but 1.5.

After 3+ weeks of doing the Algebra 1 review chapter in their Algebra 2 book, it is obvious that we need to do more than just a little review. Homework grades started in the 70's and were in the 30's by the end of the chapter. Both boys got a 50 something on the end of chapter test.  We are using this Intermediate Algebra, by Tobey and Slater.  I also have the similar edition Beginning Algebra by the same authors. I *am* going over concepts with them.  They say they get it, do the example problems with some help, then do homework and then bomb it. Sometimes, it's just piddly stuff like using the wrong sign that snowballs, but other topics I get a lot of deer in the headlights. 

I want to weep.  Both boys *did* pass a standard algebra 1 course (older edition of Holt Algebra), with a mid to high 80's average.  Not amazing, but enough to move forward.  Both got about the same average last year in Geometry (using a combo of Holt, and MUS, mostly MUS). 

Neither of them wants to go into a future where math beyond Alg 2 is needed.  One is a senior who wants to go into something more humanities/creative like, and he will be going to CC next year to begin dipping his toes into that. So, I really just need to be prepping him for a semi-decent score on the Accuplacer, and I think putting more of my eggs into the Algebra 1 basket will be a better payoff for him.  My other son is a junior who is doing 1/2 days at a technical high school studying diesel; he actually does have the ability to do well in algebra, but zero drive right now to do well in much of anything other than the technical school.  If I needed to go slower this year, and then spend more time with him firming up Algebra 2 next year, we could do that.

At this point in the year, I cannot drop either one of them into an algebra class at the local high school, unless I enrolled them full time there.  Neither of them want that AT ALL.

We cannot afford any outsourcing or online class. Really.  Blood from a stone and all that. 

So, if we were to spend 1/2 the year (or hopefully less) shoring up Algebra 1, what topics from the Tobey and Slater Intermediate Algebra should I spend the rest of the year on? Just start at chap 2, move forward, and see how far we get?  When I looked online at course descriptions from CC's using this text (here's one), they only schedule through chap 8 (see TOC here). 

Anyway, I guess this is half vent, half cry for help.  🙂  Thanks for anything you can throw my way.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

What I would probably do in your case is look through the tests/homework to see where the problem areas are and focus on them.

Or if they seem to be everywhere, go ahead and start at chapter 2 (since you mentioned it) give the chapter review. Go over and practice only the things they got wrong and then give the test, if you still have tests. The chapter should go really fast if they know most of the material. It will only take longer on things they really forgot. 

I don't know much about your specific program but that is what I'd do for my kids and their programs. You have to work on what they specifically don't know so I don't know how others could pick topics. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

Ug. Total sympathy. In addition to MUS, I know that people with heavy math strugglers have sometimes clicked with:
- VideoText
- Kinetic Textbooks
- AGS textbooks (textbooks for high schoolers, but written at a 6th grade level for easier comprehension)

No advice, but I'll just say that DS#2 ended up doing Alg. 1 and Alg. 2 each twice -- Alg. in 9th with Jacobs where he *sort of* got it, but seemed vague with actual understanding, so we did all of Alg. 1 again in the first half of 10th with MUS. DS then flew through MUS Geometry (plus excerpts of Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition) in the second half of 10th. But, it then it took all of 11th and all the following summer to get through MUS Algebra 2, which is about as light as you can get. We kept backing up up and redoing 2-6 lessons at a time, sometimes 3-4 times, to get through the program. Since he was not headed toward a STEM field (and not even directly towards a 4-year university) after high school, we did a Consumer Math for 12th.

Weirdly, he scored high enough on Accuplacer (taken right about the time he was finishing the Alg. 2 in order to do dual enrollment for foreign language at the CC in 12th grade) to place into College Algebra! 😲 (Both DS and I know he could not have hacked it, BUT it was helpful for him to see that as frustrating as the Algebra 1 and 2 were, obviously *something* was sticking enough to score decently on the placement test...)

(side note: DS#2 says he wishes we had flipped those -- Consumer Math first, and then Alg. 2 in 12th -- to give him as much time as possible for more brain maturing in the math portions of the brain. That might have worked... But I think it's more likely that he would have lost all traction with Algebra and it would have been even harder to get through Alg. 2...)

DS#2 went on to the CC after high school graduation, carried a great GPA (no math classes, lol -- BUT he was having to do a fair amount of writing which is is other huge struggle area), and completed 2 of the 3 years of the AAS degree for Interpretation for the Deaf before leaving school, working for a year, then doing a 9-month AmeriCorps commitment with a trails conservation group, and is just now finishing up his 3rd season as a wildland firefighter -- and he took 3.5 week EMT intensive course back in the spring, and passed the national certification test! So he is also now a certified EMT. 😄 

All that to say -- there are successful future paths (even success at CC!) even if you're a math struggler and barely struggled along through Algebra 1 and 2. So, that's our experience, FWIW. Wishing you all the BEST in finding what works for your family! BEST of luck in finding what fits best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Hm. It's been a year since they did Algebra I. And they're starting with a new program. You know your kids best, but I do wonder if another program might just be in order. A slower Algebra II program. Something more like MUS or even Teaching Textbooks maybe. Programs that are known for being on the easier end of things. Especially if they don't need to build a foundations to something more difficult right now anyway.

Alternately, I would just get another Algebra I program than the one you used last time and just... go at it again. I'd start each chapter with the chapter test and if they pass it with, say, a B or above, then I'd do some practice with the "hard" problems together and then move on. If they miss a big chunk of a particular sort of problem, do those pages and not the others. If they just make mistakes across the board, do the whole chapter.

• Like 3

You didn't mention who lead Alg 1.  But, with both boys having the same issues, there was probably a weakness in the instruction, and grading.  Probably, should not be using same instructor for alg 1 or 1.5.  You say no funds for outsourcing. But if you purchased Thinkwell during a  sale at homeschoolbuyer coop , both boys could take the class for a total of $70. They could watch the videos together or separately.  replay as much as needed.  Then they could each take a  lesson quiz. no limit on lesson quizzes with instant grading   The final chapter test can only be taken once, but there is no limit on the chapter practice tests. They could alternate these.  Thinkwell is not a popular option on this board, but my 9th grader loves it.  He has completed alg.1, alg 2, geom., precalc, and is now taking college calc. 1. 

ETA: he did not take TW geom.

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, gstharr said:

You didn't mention who lead Alg 1.  But, with both boys having the same issues, there was probably a weakness in the instruction, and grading.  

As a twin mama, I don't know that I necessarily agree. My boys can be so different sometimes... and so the same. Sometimes the pace of learning is just... rooted in the brain and genetics. Of course, this absolutely could be true too.

• Like 1

I recommend three things. 

Thing 1: Lial Intermediate Algebra.  It's Algebra 1 on steroids, meaning that it is a thorough review of Algebra 1 with just a dip into Algebra 2 stuff.  It really worked well for my kid who needed a bridge between Algebra 1 and 2.  We used this edition, and I recommend getting a new or like new copy since the way it's configured, it encourages writing in the book.  It is possible to get paper copies of the instructor's solution manual and tests for this edition.  The good thing about the test book is that there are multiple forms of each chapter test, so if you discover they need more practice after giving the first test, you have additional forms you can use (like 6).

Thing 2: Teach each one separately.  If you use the Lial text, there are practice problems built right into the instruction in the text.  Before being let loose on the homework, they should demonstrate that they can do at least one problem of each type taught without help.

Thing 3: Have them check each answer with you as they do the homework.  Do not allow them to move on to the next problem until the previous one is worked correctly.  I believe that of the three, this is the most important change to make.

• Like 5