Menu

packages to college student?

HollyDay

so.....dd can only receive FedEX or UPS to her dorm address.  Any other carrier will be rejected.  She can only receive USPS to her mailbox at the campus USPS. 

How do I use Amazon??  I called them tonight and they said they will chose whatever delivery method and I have no input on that.  If the package gets rejected, then the recipient must go to the nearest amazon center to pick it up.  Well, that can't happen.  So.....can I use Amazon?

If I can't, then help me remember "the old fashioned" way of shipping??  Go to UPS store myself whatever I want to send her? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder why that school does that?  UNC Mail Room has accepted 2 things for DD that were delivered by USPS, one by UPS and one by DYNAMEX (a company I had never heard of until 2 days ago. An eBay Seller sent something I ordered from them on Friday morning by DYNAMEX and to my astonishment it was delivered on Saturday morning. It was guaranteed delivery by Wednesday).

As I understand it, Mail (letters) will go into a Mailbox in the Dorm DD is in, and Packages go to one of 3 Mail Rooms for the 32 (?) Dorms on campus. 

If there's a Post Office on campus possibly that results in fewer lost packages than them delivering to a school Mail Room on campus?  It would for sure save the school the cost of operating a Mail Room.

40 minutes ago, TrulySusan said:

My daughter's campus also has Amazon lockers at the student center for packages from Amazon. Maybe that is an option?

No, this is not an option.  And this dc does not have a car this semester so going off campus to get a package is not an option

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

I wonder why that school does that?  UNC Mail Room has accepted 2 things for DD that were delivered by USPS, one by UPS and one by DYNAMEX (a company I had never heard of until 2 days ago. An eBay Seller sent something I ordered from them on Friday morning by DYNAMEX and to my astonishment it was delivered on Saturday morning. It was guaranteed delivery by Wednesday).

As I understand it, Mail (letters) will go into a Mailbox in the Dorm DD is in, and Packages go to one of 3 Mail Rooms for the 32 (?) Dorms on campus. 

If there's a Post Office on campus possibly that results in fewer lost packages than them delivering to a school Mail Room on campus?  It would for sure save the school the cost of operating a Mail Room.

Oldest dc college is like this.  ALL packages, letters, etc. go to the central "mail center" in the student center. It does not matter how it was sent or delivered, it ALL goes to one central spot

This other college is very restrictive about who can come into the dorms....I do like the attention to security.  And the mail center is just that...a USPS center.  Amazon uses USPS, UPS, FedEx, and Amazon Logistics.  I have 2 different addresses for dd....the dorm address and the USPS address.  Hence my confusion....

Edited by HollyDay

So strange. I have never heard of that. But, yes, I would do it the old fashioned way: make up a care package, go to UPS or he USPS and send it. In fact, this is what I usually did for dd because I liked it to be a surprise what little extras I tucked in there. 

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I'd call the U and ask. Surely you aren't the only Freshman parent with this problem. 

I spoke with them this morning.  If Amazon delivers a non UPS or Fedex to dorm, then it is rejected.  If Amazon delivers a non USPS to USPS, then it is rejected.  Basically, it is not a good option to use.  I'll look into Walmart or something....

• Confused 1

Just stuff a Prepaid box from USPS and ship it yourself. I pre-print labels on PirtateShip and that way I can just drop and go.  If you want to save money use PirateShip, buy postage on line at USPS or goto the USPS office  Postal stores add tons of up-charge to postage.  I have mailed lots of packages this year and find that with the up-charges on Amazon for most things, that it is actually cheaper to fill my  own boxes and pay postage. I suggest going to USPS and getting a few size boxes ahead of time, so you can use the smallest size. Besides, it was fun to stuff boxes with little things! If you think you will mail lots of packages this year, you can even order empty boxes deilvered to your home. LOL I have to admit...we did this :0)  

Edited by Tap