Menu

60s home architecture: windows

Ellie

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Clerestory windows?

They let in light or fresh air while maintaining privacy in a space.

Hmmm...maybe.

No, I don't think that would be it. These are operating windows, and you can stand at them and look out. Clerestory windows are high up on high walls, like libraries or churches. You can't see out of them.

Are you talking about these kinds of windows.  I don't know what they are called but I do like them.  I wish we had more of them in other rooms... such as my bedroom (I don't need to have a full view) and the TV room - no where to put the couch without blocking a window.  Mine are 45" up from the floor.  They let in enough light but still provide some privacy.

20190702_090002.jpg

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

Do you mean like these?  I don't think I've ever heard a specific term for them.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/617729/replacing-mid-century-modern-windows

Yes! We had a window like this in one of our homes; the middle pane was fixed, the outer two opened out.

I thought there was a name for them, but I guess not. Thanks for finding a picture of them. 🙂

Windows that swing out (or in) to open them are called casement windows. They can be oriented vertically or horizontally. The picture shared above has casement windows that are oriented horizontally so the window swings out left or right instead of pushing the window up and out like you would for a vertically oriented casement window. Military housing often has casement windows with bug screens on the inside that have to be removed to open the window and then replaced once the window is open.

• Like 1