Menu

Vet Hive - Dog ate some yarn

Familia

Is it problematic that our 100 lb dog ate some yarn from this knitted cloth?  She is behaving fine. Quite happy with herself, I imagine.  All that is missing in the photo below was eaten - about a 4x5 inch piece.  Remembering that it is of concern when cats are left alone with balls of string due to the risk of causing bowel obstruction, I now am borderline worried about our pup...

IMG_1930.JPG

I would give your vet a call and ask. I wonder if she chewed the yarn up into little pieces, or if she swallowed long strands of it?

Last year, one of my dogs swallowed part of a braided rope dog toy. It was a piece of rope about the same size as a pencil. We only discovered he had done so when we saw it hanging out his rear end...ugh! With our vet's help, we were able to remove it - and that was the last time I ever bought a rope toy!

Thank you, @Selkie I'll just go ahead & call...

Yes, I worry about those, too.  We never give her anything when she is unsupervised except (empty) kongs.  She just isn't trustworthy.  Loves fabrics!  Someone forgot to place the shake can back on the chair to keep her from this seat cover.   

------------------------------

So, the vet wants to see a photo and says sometimes they have people give peroxide for the dog to drink...ack!...better go look that up; never heard of that!

Edited by Familia
follow-up
  • Like 1

Hydrogen peroxide should cause the inedible item to be vomit ed which would probably be safer than possible bowel obstruction.  It would have to be soon and still in stomach to help. Afaik.   I’m not a vet 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

My dogs have eaten parts of rope toys, pieces of fleece, and bits of stuffing many times, even though we try to avoid allowing that to happen. They've always pooped it out just fine. 

ETA: Not that big of a piece, though! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Familia said:

Thank you, @Selkie I'll just go ahead & call...

Yes, I worry about those, too.  We never give her anything when she is unsupervised except (empty) kongs.  She just isn't trustworthy.  Loves fabrics!  Someone forgot to place the shake can back on the chair to keep her from this seat cover.   

------------------------------

So, the vet wants to see a photo and says sometimes they have people give peroxide for the dog to drink...ack!...better go look that up; never heard of that!

You squirt peroxide into their mouth with a syringe and the dog will usually throw up within a few minutes.

• Thanks 1

"linear foreign bodies" are one of the most dangerous foreign bodies. 

Personally, I'd take him to the vet today before they close. They can/will assist you in determining the best course of action.

Google "linear foreign body dog" if you want to scare yourself into going to the vet. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Thanks 1

I know, @StephanieZ, I am quite worried now.  Here's an update, but I am not through with worry...

I gave peroxide via syringe/enticed to drink.  She vomited.  A foot of yarn, but also a small skein of yarn (micro skein) that my Dd spun that was lying around unnoticed.  Yikes, I had no idea she had eaten that...we try to vigilant about those types of objects due to our pup's desire for soft items.

She is resting now, and vet said that we should just watch for any uncomfortableness this weekend.

Do you know if one full vomiting episode equals empty stomach?  And, once it clears the stomach and enters intestine, is the only recourse to watch and wait??  I am wondering if I need a second vet opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Familia said:

I know, @StephanieZ, I am quite worried now.  Here's an update, but I am not through with worry...

I gave peroxide via syringe/enticed to drink.  She vomited.  A foot of yarn, but also a small skein of yarn (micro skein) that my Dd spun that was lying around unnoticed.  Yikes, I had no idea she had eaten that...we try to vigilant about those types of objects due to our pup's desire for soft items.

She is resting now, and vet said that we should just watch for any uncomfortableness this weekend.

Do you know if one full vomiting episode equals empty stomach?  And, once it clears the stomach and enters intestine, is the only recourse to watch and wait??  I am wondering if I need a second vet opinion.

(Dd said she believed that square of knitting, which was a variegated color, was about a yard & a half perhaps...I only have seen a foot & a half of it.)

12 minutes ago, Familia said:

I'd really, really want the vet to advise. The vet might want to give her more food to eat and then vomit again, or who knows what. That's why they are vets, lol. If your vet won't see you today, I'd call around and find a good one that will. 

• Thanks 1

Can you call vet back? Report results and get further advice?  Or was just let her rest already the advice after she threw up? 

( if too late to let vet know there was more in her and less came up than she swallowed,  I might perhaps try to give another hydrogen peroxide dose to get a second vomiting perhaps after giving some soft white bread or something soft and bland to be sure there’s something down there to come up— reality is she may have eaten such stuff before without you knowing and it may have passed through on its own) 

we’ve also given soft white bread to try to pad stuff on its way through intestines, but that’s mainly been popsicle stick, garden hose...   the longest stringy stuff mine have gone for to my knowledge have been only about 2 inch fringes on a throw rug that got too close to a puppy’s crate

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StephanieZ said:

I'd really, really want the vet to advise. The vet might want to give her more food to eat and then vomit again, or who knows what. That's why they are vets, lol. If your vet won't see you today, I'd call around and find a good one that will. 

Both vets I have called said now that she has vomited such an amount (two, close together episodes revealing a little yarn, the micro-skein of yarn & some remainder of breakfast), that more vomiting was not a good idea.  Once it clears stomach, which they believe it has, it will (hopefully) pass without problems this weekend.  I cannot google it anymore, I am worried enough already=(  I will be watching her like a hawk this weekend!

Edited by Familia
  • Like 2

The advice of the vets is not consoling me as we settle for the day.  Our sweet girl is fine, voraciously hungry and gave dinner a little late, but as usual.   

I was hoping to hear from you, @Ktgrok but I cannot leave a pm for you.  Here are my questions:

• Are they not bringing me in for x-ray because they assume I do not want to pay for it or because they cannot see anything on x-ray this soon?
  • What are the percent of dogs that come out ok with this type of situation vs those that (gulp) die or (awful but still) need surgery?
  • Should I just go in tomorrow, or, again, is it too soon?
  • I read (I was going to stop googling it, but I just had to read more) that it can stay in stomach for a ‘long time’ and work parts through later...won’t it, cotton yarn, eventually dissolve, or will we be on pins and needles for weeks/months??

I wish I knew if she swallowed (what we think to be 2 more feet) as the piece of knitting, unraveled, or chewed up.  

Edited by Familia

51 minutes ago, Familia said:

The advise of the vets is not consoling me as we settle for the day.  Our sweet girl is fine, voraciously hungry and gave dinner a little late, but as usual.   

I was hoping to hear from you, @Ktgrok but I cannot leave a pm for you.  Here are my questions:

• Are they not bringing me in for x-ray because they assume I do not want to pay for it or because they cannot see anything on x-ray this soon?
  • What are the percent of dogs that come out ok with this type of situation vs those that (gulp) die or (awful but still) need surgery?
  • Should I just go in tomorrow, or, again, is it too soon?
  • I read (I was going to stop googling it, but I just had to read more) that it can stay in stomach for a ‘long time’ and work parts through later...won’t it, cotton yarn, eventually dissolve, or will we be on pins and needles for weeks/months??

I wish I knew if she swallowed (what we think to be 2 more feet) as the piece of knitting, unraveled, or chewed up.  

I hope Katie will see this and answer you soon!

here are my thoughts if this were my dog:

xrays wont show cloth type substances well if at all

i don’t know what percents,  but suspect a lot of dogs get hold of and eat bad stuff without it even being discovered (as would have been case with you if the square patch hadn’t been obviously missing)

i would wait and watch for signs of discomfort, stomach distended, etc , over the weekend as vet suggested.   I’d also watch the poops both for normal frequency and consistency and also would hope to see the yarn come through  (possibly using a disposable plastic spoon to examine them)

If you see yarn hanging out of dog , but not come all the way out in the poop on it’s own, DO NOT TRY TO PULL ON IT — take dog to vet for help .  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recommend you read this (not too upsetting, I don’t think, and has some ideas on things to do):

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11016217-best-way-to-prevent-surgery-when-your-dog-eats-an-undigestible-object

important part at your current stage:  (but goes on with evaluating why Dog is eating foreign objects and tips for future prevention)

“4. The foreign body is smaller than 1.5 inches 
If your dog is not vomiting and appears to be fine, feed him the following mixture:

• 50 percent of meat of your choice ( raw or cooked depending on your preference)
  • 40 percent cooked squash puree
  • 10 percent  flax seed steeped with enough hot water to make the whole mixture slimy

Feed this meal for two to three  days. Many  foreign bodies pass with no problem.

5. If your dog is restless, or vomiting more than once or having diarrhea for more than 24 hours, see your veterinarian.”  

Edited by Pen

If she were my dog I would wait and watch, and try not to drive myself crazy with the watching. I'm guessing from the tone of your posting that you know your dog well. Trust yourself to notice if she goes off--not eating or drinking as much, less energy, seems uncomfortable in any way, and of course if there's any vomiting or diarrhea.

Dogs eat foreign things all the time. All the time. The overwhelming majority are just fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Pen said:
  • 40 percent cooked squash puree

We keep canned pumpkin on hand most of time. I expect that would do as cooked squash puree

Im not sure we have flax in hand, but maybe that would be a good idea with a dog who tends to eat inedible stuff

Ever since a dog chewed up a blue ice pack I’ve kept charcoal capsules on hand in case of a similar thing.  Though since having the charcoal, it’s not been needed.  (The blue ice dog did fine  btw, so did the one who swallowed a popsicle with stick and all, so afaik even did the garden hose eater  though possibly he didn’t consume any,  just demolished  it into tiny fragments )

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

If she were my dog I would wait and watch, and try not to drive myself crazy with the watching. I'm guessing from the tone of your posting that you know your dog well. Trust yourself to notice if she goes off--not eating or drinking as much, less energy, seems uncomfortable in any way, and of course if there's any vomiting or diarrhea.

Dogs eat foreign things all the time. All the time. The overwhelming majority are just fine.

53 minutes ago, gingersmom said:

I would go for an x ray if possible.

My dog ate two socks and they showed up on the X-ray. You couldn’t tell it was a sock but it was an obvious foreign object.

Thanks for the encouragement, @Pawz4me She certainly is my ever present companion & quite watched, except nighttime crating, so I think I’ll see signs, although she’s also quiet mannered  , so I’m paranoid she’ll suffer in silence for awhile.  Having experienced a traumatic dog health situation in the past is beckoning at me to increase anxiety, so I’ll admit to having to fight that hard! doing a good job at making myself just ride it out here at home as normal.

Its the fact that it’s yarn that gets me and concerns vet - just don’t know if we’re dealing with a very long object that could be very dangerous or a clump that could pass ‘easily’ with time. Vet didn’t want induced diarrhea because of potentially exacerbating the long line if that’s what’s there.  I was hoping for an X-ray, too @gingersmom They also said X-ray wouldn’t pick up the yarn from the stool. 

Also, they said days 3-5 were the days to look for, but I would think things pass more quickly. 

This dog is so supervised & in an environment that is kept dog-proof friendly,  It’s always that one time... 

• Like 2

With my dog who’s the quiet type if worried like that, I feel his abdomen for unusual heat, bulge, distension... signs of discomfort...  listen for normal stomach noises. Not constantly, but from time to time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, I don’t know if your dog has a “not feeling well” sign at all, but sometimes they do.  Like I had one who would put his forehead against my leg when he was having a problem.  Another who just wouldn’t smile as usual. 

3 hours ago, Familia said:

Thanks for the encouragement, @Pawz4me She certainly is my ever present companion & quite watched, except nighttime crating, so I think I’ll see signs, although she’s also quiet mannered  , so I’m paranoid she’ll suffer in silence for awhile.  Having experienced a traumatic dog health situation in the past is beckoning at me to increase anxiety, so I’ll admit to having to fight that hard! doing a good job at making myself just ride it out here at home as normal.

Its the fact that it’s yarn that gets me and concerns vet - just don’t know if we’re dealing with a very long object that could be very dangerous or a clump that could pass ‘easily’ with time. Vet didn’t want induced diarrhea because of potentially exacerbating the long line if that’s what’s there.  I was hoping for an X-ray, too @gingersmom They also said X-ray wouldn’t pick up the yarn from the stool. 

Also, they said days 3-5 were the days to look for, but I would think things pass more quickly. 

This dog is so supervised & in an environment that is kept dog-proof friendly,  It’s always that one time... 

My mom's dog chewed up her new porch carpet, and he ate a good amount of it in the process. It was a looped carpet and it took several days to clear his system. He did feel pretty crummy for a few days, and at the beginning at least had red carpet coming out both ends. 

Riley wasn't the brightest dog, but he never did eat another carpet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Familia said:

If It was going to pass on its own, it would indeed likely pass faster than 3-5 days. I expect that days3-5 are the days when signs most often arise from a linear foreign body doing its evil in the intestines. 

My final advice is that if you DO start to see signs of illness, treat it as an emergency. Linear foreign bodies are very, very dangerous and frequently have bad outcomes. They can essentially tie off parts of the intestines and stop blood flow, quickly resulting in very, very bad things. So, if you want your dog to live and she starts showing signs of illness in the next week, you want to put her in the car and get her to the vet RIGHT AWAY. Waiting 12 hours could easily mean she dies. So, just GO. If your GP vet advises you to go to a specialty center with a boarded surgeon, DO IT. Your dog will have a better prognosis if under 24 hour care by experts, in addition to having a more expert surgeon do a very difficult surgery. 

(And expect a very large vet bill involving emergency surgery and a couple/few days in hospital and a 50/50 survival rate.) 

Fingers crossed that your dog is among the majority who get lucky and pass the stupid things they eat just fine, with no harm done. (((hugs)))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephanieZ said:

If It was going to pass on its own, it would indeed likely pass faster than 3-5 days. I expect that days3-5 are the days when signs most often arise from a linear foreign body doing its evil in the intestines. 

Yes, you are right...the linear foreign body bunching the intestines to tearing could take that long. (that is awful to even type, my hospital experience is helping me be objective)

UPDATE:

Went to vet.  All okay for now.

I just couldn't wait until symptoms began for her to be looked at or talk face to face with vet.  I gave it a few hours after the (sometimes missed) mid-day doo-doo didn't show up and went in (yes, Saturday emergency call, but I don't mind one bit).  X-rays revealed normal stomach contents/no distention at all.  Small intestine had normal looping with only a small area of gas.  Dr. thought that could be where the fabric was, and she hopes it stays/stayed in one piece, and it could be a normal gas pocket - it was very small, but she wants us to watch her very carefully.  Dr. wants normal diet followed, saying that forcing stool unnaturally, especially with a foreign object such as yarn, would, at least partially, be bypassing the normal movement of the bowels that are, hopefully pushing it along and out.

Dr. was very reassuring that in her experience, our dog would show signs of bowl obstruction before the linear foreign body would cause tearing.  Not that a bowel obstruction would be a walk in the park, it is just that she was reassuring that our vigilance was the best thing going for our dog.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think you’ve also got going for you that there wasn’t a needle or object like that to catch inside of her, and that she’s a big dog with probably big tubes      I know that was considered helpful in our popsical stick situation 

did vet suggest foods that might help to carry it on out?

Edited by Pen

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think you’ve also got going for you that there wasn’t a needle or object like that to catch inside of her, and that she’s a big dog with probably big tubes      I know that was considered helpful in our popsical stick situation 

did vet suggest foods that might help to carry it on out?

She felt like the stool formed normally would be clumpy enough to do it.  Optimistically speaking.  And, yes, she said that larger dog was helpful.  

And, Yikes, I forgot that I had read that about the popsicle stick!!!  I am glad that went well for you!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StephanieZ said:

Update??

THanks for asking, Stephanie Z...

Normal behavior: eating, pooping, etc.  We are on, what...day 4 (Friday ate knitting)....

The X-ray really reassured me initially, normal behavior is a plus, but I haven’t seen any evidence of yarn exiting.  She is being normally extra supervised (this is one companion pup), and I am sleeping with our door open where I can hear her even turn over in crate, as well as examining every stool.  Either it is hanging to exit safely later, hanging out to do harm later, digested fully (I doubt this) or she dug a hole in the LR and buried it without swallowing and this was all wasted worry.  If I see nothing by the end of the week, I’ll probably go back to Vet.

PS. When this is over, I will realize how sad I am that that bad dog partially ruined a prized possession, a chair cover my fiber-farm business owner DD made when she was little=(

Edited by Familia
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Pen said:

I’m glad dog is doing well.

it’s not the same, but could a replacement square be inserted in the chair cover ?  

An update, not a ruination

Thanks for the suggestion @Pen, I just asked Dd, who said she’d repair it if I found more of that cotton. Of course, the chair will no longer be covered with a knitted piece!  

I recall a thread about household objects as toys for dogs.  Objects such as old towels or nodded old socks, etc. were mentioned.  Some people felt it was a fine idea/others not. I guess it just depends on the dog. I was annoyed when I picked this puppy up, and the breeder had given them nothing but soft rags and stuffed lovies to play with.  She’s never given up her affinity for soft things and I wonder if it was that early introduction??

Other dogs we’ve had haven’t had this obsessive interest.  They’ve like hard toys best.   Although she is still young, just over a year, I wonder if we’ll ever be able to leave her unsupervised. Maybe that “soft things attracted” type of dog is one of the types to chew up sofas...not just the anxious ones, but maybe there are pups who take one look and just can’t stop themselves!

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, Familia said:

Thanks for the suggestion @Pen, I just asked Dd, who said she’d repair it if I found more of that cotton. Of course, the chair will no longer be covered with a knitted piece!  

Maybe if not the same cotton she could do a dog chew memento patch , plain white off white or something.  Or tooth like pattern in pink and white if she’s skilled enough 

I recall a thread about household objects as toys for dogs.  Objects such as old towels or nodded old socks, etc. were mentioned.  Some people felt it was a fine idea/others not. I guess it just depends on the dog. I was annoyed when I picked this puppy up, and the breeder had given them nothing but soft rags and stuffed lovies to play with.  She’s never given up her affinity for soft things and I wonder if it was that early introduction??

Probably so.  Maybe look for more durable fabric toys with something else inside as a transition?  Like a durable canvas made for bird dog retrieval practice can be  pretty tough?  

Yummy toys might help.  You’ll still have to supervise, but perhaps a big bully stick to transition to liking hard things?

Other dogs we’ve had haven’t had this obsessive interest.  They’ve like hard toys best.   Although she is still young, just over a year, I wonder if we’ll ever be able to leave her unsupervised. Maybe that “soft things attracted” type of dog is one of the types to chew up sofas...not just the anxious ones, but maybe there are pups who take one look and just can’t stop themselves!

Well, hard things attracted dogs can chew up table legs, bannisters, and gear shifts. 

For a large dog just over over a year may still really be a teething stage

I had 4 large dogs chew up a hat or shoe as last destructive chewing incident at right around age 2.   

• Thanks 1