Menu

How to get my husband out of this line of work?

Condessa

Just commenting on something artctic bunny mentioned...I was remembering that staff in the SART (Sexual Abuse Response Team)  also rotates regularly. Wonder if he can consider this and perhaps rethink mixing up his caseload?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

@Michelle Conde, where I am licensed, the estate planners have an annual conference with the tax and wealth management folks.  I would suggest looking for one in your husband's regional area.  While the law end of estate planning was pretty easy to get a grasp on, the wealth management/tax end of things was quite the learning curve.  I also found the experience extremely helpful for making friends since this end of the law is really tied to references/contacts/glad handing.

3 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

This was an old thread I posted an update on.  He’s doing property law & estate planning.

Since you're updating...  Weren't you also the mom of a new foster placement?  How did that work out?

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Since you're updating...  Weren't you also the mom of a new foster placement?  How did that work out?

She’s become like our own little girl, and we love her.  She has grown and developed in leaps and bounds, and is now only about 9months delayed, vs. about 18 months when she came to us 6 1/2 months ago.  She is going home to her mother one week from today, and there is going to be a gaping hole when she is gone.  But her mother has offered for us to be her godparents, and so (so long as bio mom doesn’t change her mind) we will hopefully be able to maintain contact with her and know how she is doing in the future.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

She’s become like our own little girl, and we love her.  She has grown and developed in leaps and bounds, and is now only about 9months delayed, vs. about 18 months when she came to us 6 1/2 months ago.  She is going home to her mother one week from today, and there is going to be a gaping hole when she is gone.  But her mother has offered for us to be her godparents, and so (so long as bio mom doesn’t change her mind) we will hopefully be able to maintain contact with her and know how she is doing in the future.

There are few stories as heartening as someone making a difference like this in a child’s life.  No matter what happens in the future, you made her life better right now. I hope you can continue to be part of her life.

Also, I’m so glad your dh has a new job.  I remember your post about this last year and it’s so good to know that he’s been able to make a change.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Our foster dd did not go home.  We got a call the day before the reunification that it was not happening.  Bio mom was hiding a live-in boyfriend and telling her older girls to lie about him.  So reunification is still the plan long term, and dd is supposed to restart supervised visits with her mom and mom’s boyfriend next week.  

It makes me want to throw up.  These are the precise living circumstances of the vast majority of dh’s victims over the years.

• Sad 9

12 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Our foster dd did not go home.  We got a call the day before the reunification that it was not happening.  Bio mom was hiding a live-in boyfriend and telling her older girls to lie about him.  So reunification is still the plan long term, and dd is supposed to restart supervised visits with her mom and mom’s boyfriend next week.  

It makes me want to throw up.  These are the precise living circumstances of the vast majority of dh’s victims over the years.

Sad to say, over my 100+ foster care cases, and life in general, the most dangerous person to a young child is Mom's boyfriend.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ottakee said:

Sad to say, over my 100+ foster care cases, and life in general, the most dangerous person to a young child is Mom's boyfriend.

Always, and followed up in number 2 slot by stepdad.

ETA:  And dd has been sleeping in bed with her bio mom and the boyfriend on her overnight visits.

Edited by Michelle Conde
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Always, and followed up in number 2 slot by stepdad.

ETA:  And dd has been sleeping in bed with her bio mom and the boyfriend on her overnight visits.

I know there are some wonderful boyfriend/step dad's out there, but the fact they were hiding this makes you very suspicious

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I know there are some wonderful boyfriend/step dad's out there, but the fact they were hiding this makes you very suspicious

Yep.  And I have seen two of her prior choices in family court.  They do not inspire confidence.

• Sad 3

Someone close to me is a former assistant DA. He left to take a job as an Assistant County Attorney. It's been six years, and he is now the County Attorney (appointed by the Board of Supervisors). This has been a nice change, as he now manages several people, although I think he might miss the courtroom.

For someone like your husband who's always been one of the good guys, I can't see going into criminal defense working out for him. I've been both sides as a legal secretary (including 3 years in the child sex assault unit in the DA's office), and if you believe in the good side, the only motivator for defense work is money. It doesn't sound like that's your husband's priority. It doesn't make up for the lost sleep.

31 minutes ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Someone close to me is a former assistant DA. He left to take a job as an Assistant County Attorney. It's been six years, and he is now the County Attorney (appointed by the Board of Supervisors). This has been a nice change, as he now manages several people, although I think he might miss the courtroom.

For someone like your husband who's always been one of the good guys, I can't see going into criminal defense working out for him. I've been both sides as a legal secretary (including 3 years in the child sex assault unit in the DA's office), and if you believe in the good side, the only motivator for defense work is money. It doesn't sound like that's your husband's priority. It doesn't make up for the lost sleep.

He found a new job..... outside of criminal law.....is it real estate contracts?  Something like that.