Menu

POLL: Did you smash cake in your spouse’s face at your wedding?

Garga

Did you smash cake in your new spouse’s face at your wedding?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Did you or your new spouse smash cake in each other’s faces at your wedding?

• Yes, we both did: lots of cake. It was everywhere!
    • Yes, we both did, but just a cute little smudge.
    • I smashed spouse with cake, but spouse didn’t smash me.
    • Spouse smashed me with cake, but I didn’t smash spouse.
    • There was no cake smashing.
    • Other
  2. 2. Were you both ok with the cake smashing?

• Yes! We both though it was a fun thing to do and it made us laugh.
    • Yes, we both were fine with it, but really, it was just a little smudge and was barely a blip in the day.
    • I was happy with it, but spouse was neutral about it.
    • I was happy with it, but spouse was angry about it.
    • Spouse was happy with it, but I was neutral about it.
    • Spouse was happy with it, but I was angry about it.
    • We got angry at each other about it.
    • Other
  3. 3. I read an article where wedding workers (photographers/planners, etc) said that if there was cake smashing involved, the couples eventually divorced.

• That’s the silliest thing I’ve heard! We smashed cake and are still happily married.
    • That’s the silliest thing I’ve heard! We didn’t smash cake, but smashing cake isn’t going to make or break a marriage.
    • Well...we smashed cake and are now divorced so maybe those wedding workers are on to something.
    • Well...we smashed cake and are now divorced, but there’s no way that the two things are related. It doesn’t work that way.
    • We didn’t smash cake and if my spouse had smashed cake in my face at my wedding, I very well might have ended up divorcing him/her. Sooo disrespectful and a marriage that starts that way probably won’t last.
    • Other

5 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

My guess is that wedding caterers and photographers are picking up on the phenomenon of people who see their wedding day as the culmination of something, a big entertainment event - one to be photoshopped and instagrammed and hopefully to go viral - instead of as just 1 beautiful day at the beginning of a lifelong partnership -and the divorce rate has more to do with that attitude than the actual cake smashing.

Recently, it seems as if brides and grooms think they are living in some type of reality show. A proposal is not a sweet, treasured, intimate event between two people in love, but it is a production to be staged and filmed and shared with the world. And with brides posting on social media during the honeymoon, even that is no longer private.

• Like 6

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, BakersDozen said:

I had a very emphatic talk with my dh regarding cake smashing - as in don't even try it. Smart guy, he took me seriously. I would have been livid had he pulled a stunt like that.

We had this discussion, as well.  I think it is hidden hostility toward the spouse.

• Like 1

Didn't discuss it, didn't do it, don't really understand the impulse to do it; but if both parties actually want it rock on, much like a number of other wedding rituals. For one party to spring it unwanted on the other *does* seem a poor omen for a newly launched future together...

... but since wedding photographers / wedding planners / caterers don't typically keep longitudinal records on which couples stay married vs divorce 10 years later, the premise of the OP-referenced article seems a bit wobbly.  How would they know?

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 1

No. Personally, I think it is disrespectful and I would have been embarrassed. My DH thought the same. We also had no other shenanigans at the wedding like the groomsmen “losing” the ring and that sort of thing. We’ve been married almost 17 years.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:51 PM, BakersDozen said:

I had a very emphatic talk with my dh regarding cake smashing - as in don't even try it. Smart guy, he took me seriously. I would have been livid had he pulled a stunt like that.

We talked about it before the wedding and both agreed we didnt understand the "tradition" and didn't want to incorporate it in our wedding.

Our quilt, on the other hand, had other ideas. It was on a PVC stand as a "backdrop" for the wedding cake and we heard a big uproar while we were getting photos taken before the ceremony -- turns out it tried to fall down and smash the cake itself. One of the groomsmen was on hand and rescued the cake and taught the quilt its proper place.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Haha 2