Menu

Those super pricey shampoos and conditioners-- Prose, Virtue, Monat etc

Shellydon

Save your money and buy Olaplex No. 3 instead. It's the only thing that's worth the money IMO. You can get it from Sephora. It repairs the broken bonds.

Edited by SeaConquest

14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Amika’s deep condition The Kure is the best I’ve ever used.  My hair is bleached to an ashy near-platinum and very long, this takes it from feeling like straw to silky and hydrated.  I also have super fine hair so it weighs down easily but this stuff is AMAZING. Their anti-humidity spray is also lovely, it’s kind of my new favorite luxury brand.

https://m.sephora.com/product/the-kure-intense-repair-mask-P429596

I've pictured you as a brunette all these years. Now I need a new Arctic Mama mental picture! 🤣

I really like Suave's new-ish line of "professional" shampoos and conditioners. I like the Rosemary Mint or the Almond and Shea Butter ones usually, though I just saw a Coconut Vanilla restoring one that looks great. They have sulfate free and various other "free" versions too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Olaplex gave me really Velcro ends.  It is a great product (I use No2) but definitely definitely use a deep conditioner after it if your hair feels crunchy or weird.  I was freaking out, but it turns out the olaplex was helpful but my normal conditioner wasn’t a good match to it for moisture.

Back to the OP - the shampoo with damage isn’t nearly as important as the conditioner and treatments.  Pick any shampoo that works well for your scalp - I like Paul Mitchell Colorcare, myself, and alternate with good old Head and Shoulders.  Apply it only to the scalp, just let the suds go down your length and call it good

Where to spend your money is in the conditioning step.  Monique is right, Olaplex is worth the money to try and give your hair some strength back (and it really does work, I use it once every two weeks as a twenty minute leave in), and that plus a really great conditioner should help immensely with the feel and appearance of damage.

I have naturally curly hair (also long and color-treated to blonde), so a good conditioner is a MUST for me. I follow the curly girl method, so I use the very inexpensive (but super effective) conditioners made by Shea Moisture. I especially like the Jamaican Black Castor Oil line.

ETA: The Shea Moisture products are probably the cheapest I've ever used on my hair, but you really get a lot of bang for your buck.

Edited by SeaConquest

Biolage makes a shampoo for colored hair that is the bet I have used for maintaining the color after I dye it, but I always cringe at the price ($15+ for a small bottle).  I snagged a really giant bottle of it for $10 at Ulta’s post-Christmas sale this year and now I have enough to last probably a full year.   

I have dyed my hair for 20+ years after my hair went full on grey in the two years between the births of kids #1 and #2.  I have found that having a quality shampoo and conditioner makes a difference in how long the color lasts.

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Amika’s deep condition The Kure is the best I’ve ever used.  My hair is bleached to an ashy near-platinum and very long, this takes it from feeling like straw to silky and hydrated.  I also have super fine hair so it weighs down easily but this stuff is AMAZING. Their anti-humidity spray is also lovely, it’s kind of my new favorite luxury brand.

https://m.sephora.com/product/the-kure-intense-repair-mask-P429596

Now I really need to see a picture of you. 😉