Menu

Dr Hive....a weird bump on my finger...what is it?

kfeusse

I have this weird little bump on my middle finger of my right hand.....right by the first joint.  It's not red or inflamed.  But it does hurt some.  Not a ton...but enough to bother me.  I can't quite bend my finger fully without stiffness or pain.   Let me describe the pain though, because it's weird too...it's not a shooting pain or an intense pain...more of an annoyance pain...if that makes sense.  The pain is on the inside of my finger...not surface.  But it hurts when I bend my finger fully or if something pushes down on in...like putting my blue jeans on for example...if my finger gets in between my body and the jeans, it hurts...

I don't want to go to the doctor for a silly little bump...so can you help me diagnose?  It's not a big bump...at all...in fact unless I told you it was there, you wouldn't notice it even if you looked at my finger.  

thanks. 

Edited by kfeusse

I have occasionally gotten little bumps like that, almost like very small, hard whiteheads. Mine have always eventually gone away.

If you have any osteoarthritis then it could possibly be a Bouchard's or Heberdon's node. RA also causes nodules, but it's not likely you'd have an RA nodule w/o already knowing you had RA, since they tend to show up with either aggressive disease or later in the disease process.

the surface isn't changed at all...and there are no small white heads...

but I have been trying to come up with am adjective to describe the pain...and the best one is a burning sensation...not like a burn where it hurts all of the time...no matter what you do...but it comes and goes really fast...so fast that I can't figure out if the pain is on the outside or the inside of my finger...it's really just weird.

6 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

...it could possibly be a Bouchard's or Heberdon's node...

That's what I was thinking. I also was recently reading that cysts at the finger joints, esp. the joint near the finger tip, can occur with arthritis in the hands.

Edited by Lori D.

Ganglion cyst, maybe? https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ganglion-cyst/symptoms-causes/syc-20351156 My daughter had one on her wrist, and the doctor just had her massage it daily to help it try to go away, which it did in the end.

I actually have a strangely similar bump right now, same hand/finger/location, but I'm not right-handed, so I know with me it's not due to that pressure.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Sounds like a cyst. I would mention it at your next doctors appt, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it, unless it gets really painful and needs to be removed.  I have had a few friends who had something similar. They required a surgery to remove the cyst, but it wasn't  big deal to recover from. More of an annoyance that a critical issue.