Menu

Anyone use Easy Grammar?

BarbinTN

Easy Grammar seems to work for some children, but it didn't "stick" at all for my dyslexic dd. She did EG level 3 or 3/4 (it's been awhile, so I'm not sure) and at the end of that time she still couldn't tell a noun from a verb. For her, it just didn't provide enough explanation and review.

I am thinking of using this next year for my 6th grader. We will finish R&S 4 this year so which level of EG do you recommend. There are only 7 levels of this right? What do you do after that?

Thanks,

Barb

Have you looked into Analytical grammar?

We used EG for years and it wasnt a good fit... I only kept using it for ease of use... but it was a waste for us... it works for some kids... just not ours... My vote will be JAG or AG. *?*

Lisa~

Easy Grammar has a supplement called "Daily Grams" which offers daily review of prior topics. Think: Saxon Grammar.

I had no problem at all with my fifth grader not knowing the difference between a subject and a verb since he was studying Latin.

I'm supposing after the 7th grade I'll have to go revisit Susan Wise Bauer's grammar recommendation for high school since I doubt a fourteen year old would be ready for Radford's Transformational Syntax.

Easy Grammar hasn't worked for any of my kids.

Flashkids Language Arts works very well for my 7th grader (she's used it since 5th). It doesn't seem to do much for my 4th grader though. I'm probably going to start my 4th grader in Hake Grammar once she finishes her current Flashkids LA workbook.

I also like Fix-it Grammar, but my 7th grader is the only one that works well for.

Hake worked well for my oldest.

Ellie... I just have to ask.. If you had to do it over again, would you choose Easy Grammar or Rod and Staff English for your dc?

Jen

Probably Easy Grammar. And Writing Strands.

I recommend R&S to people who are more comfortable with textbooks. I would use R&S in an actual classroom. But at home, for myself, probably EG.

Wow Ladies, thanks for all the responses. I watched the sample video clips at EG and really liked it. I gave my dd (5th grade) a long sentence full of nouns and she could find the subject or verb. However, if she knew to mark out the prepositional phrase she could have easily found it.

I am going to try EG for my boys b/c I think R&S will wear them out at this age (2&3 grades).

Thanks again,

Barb

LOVE LOVE LOVE Growing with Grammar! For a 5th grader next year, it would be perfect. :D

We used Easy Grammar as well, but it wasn't meaty enough for what I/we need. It doesn't walk the kids through daily lessons. You could have 1 introduction lesson and then workbook pages. I also didn't have the review I wanted. And GWG is a curriculum your child could do on his/her own with minimal help from the parent.

~Tina

We used EG with my oldest for one year and it didn't stick. However, she *liked* it, and I liked it, too. I'd be willing to try it again, only doing it differently the next time. I pretty much just let her do it on her own, and I didn't use either the TM or Daily Grams.

I LOVE how EG starts out identifying prepositional phrases first. That weeds out a lot of mistakes from the get-go.

I also like the idea of alternating EG with something else from one year to the next.