Menu

Best toothpaste for bad enamel?

klmama

I'm trying to help someone research the best toothpaste for her bad enamel.  She's been getting cavities, and the co-pays are getting expensive.  The dentist recommended prescription toothpaste, but then didn't prescribe her any, for some reason. FWIW, one of my dc remineralized a tooth with Theodent, but I'm looking for additional options.  What do you suggest?  

Edited by klmama

I think it's because there's no fluoride, and that's what the dentist recommended.  I'd like to find independent confirmation it works, besides my dc's experience, but all info I found was on their website. Do you know of anyplace else that would confirm it?  

She should phone her dentist and ask what prescription they were talking about and how does she get it. It could be an oversite that they just didn't realize they  didn't follow through with the recommendation.

My dentist gave me MI Paste which I rub on my teeth and let sit for 3 minutes every night. The tube is small and is nearly $20 and my insurance doesn't pay for it, naturally. I'll find out how well it's doing when I go in for my next visit. I've had a lot of dental work done this calendar year and have maxed out my insurance. The dentist feels the MI Paste is enough to help my enamel.

1 hour ago, klmama said:

I think it's because there's no fluoride, and that's what the dentist recommended.  I'd like to find independent confirmation it works, besides my dc's experience, but all info I found was on their website. Do you know of anyplace else that would confirm it?  

Oh.  

I try to avoid Flouride.  

Other than possibly reading reviews on Amazon and hoping they are genuine, I don’t know.  But do know that chocolate (not the sugar aspect, but cacao is supposed to be good for teeth.

other option could be: Lucky Teeth Organic Toothpaste-all Natural, Remineralizes and Fortifies Teeth and Gums. (2 oz 1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZS8F73Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_czROCbVCDK69F. It has minerals in it.  Some people take extra minerals when trying to remineralize .  

Other measures... well, more things to avoid, like acids.  

Physically hard things that can hurt enamel.  Ice maybe.  Some people think grains are a problem, I don’t know. 

Other positive things...

Good hydration.  

K2 if it’s not in the link.

some people do oil rinses ...  I think it might be an Ayurvedic thing. 

Some people think xylitol helps avoid “cavities”...

Some people try to get the good things via diet or supplements... and then brush with just plain soap and water, rather than expecting toothpaste to solve problems 

• Like 1

I had read a book by a dentist on natural teeth healing, but cannot find it now.  I did find this link which has some similar info (though less): 

https://wellnessmama.com/3650/remineralize-teeth/

I have had a lot of teeth troubles in my life. So it’s good to remind myself.

I am pretty sure emotional stress also plays a role.   Beyond the obvious like clenching and grinding , but those too.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, katilac said:

Soap??

Yes.  Toothpaste is a fairly recent invention, mostly to create a satisfying foamy sensation and taste.  

https://greenokla.com/ditch-the-toothpaste-brush-with-soap/

(and, btw, Judd was the dentist whose book I read) 

https://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2014/10/holistic-tooth-care-part-one.html

http://www.vitalityadvocate.com/2012/whitening-your-teeth-free/

Edited by Pen
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Earthpaste. I heard about it here on the boards and have used it for over three years.

My teeth feel a lot stronger and look better. I've had no cavities. I order on amazon, seems to be the best price. A little goes a long way. I use a flouride rinse, which is nice, because you can make your own decision.

I think I'll give this a go before venturing into soap territory . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dh had horrible teeth. We switched to a mineral rich homemade powder. Works wonderful. DH has had his dentist ask how his teeth improved so much. We don't use flouride. 

Using different clays, calcium powder works wonders. 

Cure Tooth Decay Naturally is a good book to read too. We don't follow it exactly, but even just a few changes has helped so much. 

• Like 2