Menu

School Profile - Educational Partners

Mom0012

If you included “Educational Partners” on your school profile, how did you structure this section?

I’ve got a total of four organizations that I want to refer to — Lukeion, CLRC, PAHS and a local coop— but it’s about half a page long and I’d like to streamline it.  Right now, for each one, I have the organization name, a paragraph about them and their website.

ETA: That leads to a second question of how long is your school profile?  I’m trying to keep mine to two pages.

Edited by Mom0012

My School Profile was a total of 4 pages long, and half that was our list of Educational Partners.  I put them in order from most prestigious and well known to least.  For each entry, I included information about them from their website, lightly edited for consistency and relevancy.  At the end in parentheses I included a list of classes taken with that vendor.   I think as long as it isn't too redundant or hard to read, you want to err on the side of providing as much information as possible.  (Although in retrospect I probably would have edited down the Edhesive blurb.)

For example:

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers (PAH)  PAH offers College Board accredited, online AP courses to homeschooled students worldwide.  Courses offer personal interaction with master teachers and motivated classmates. (AP Chemistry, AP Statistics)

Edhesive  Edhesive brings STEM to schools in a way that is effective, affordable and easy to adopt. It provides an online curriculum from recognized experts, student support, teacher tools and resources, and professional development.  Nationally recognized high school educators provide best-in-class instruction. Courses are designed by K-12 teachers for K-12 students, and mapped to a K-12 school year. The courses are complete, not supplemental. Students exchange ideas and help their peers—both locally and around the country—in an online forum. The moderated forum also lets them post questions and get answers from Edhesive’s course instructor and teaching assistants.  (AP Computer Science A)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, daijobu said:

My School Profile was a total of 4 pages long, and half that was our list of Educational Partners.  I put them in order from most prestigious and well known to least.  For each entry, I included information about them from their website, lightly edited for consistency and relevancy.  At the end in parentheses I included a list of classes taken with that vendor.   I think as long as it isn't too redundant or hard to read, you want to err on the side of providing as much information as possible.  (Although in retrospect I probably would have edited down the Edhesive blurb.)

For example:

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers (PAH)  PAH offers College Board accredited, online AP courses to homeschooled students worldwide.  Courses offer personal interaction with master teachers and motivated classmates. (AP Chemistry, AP Statistics)

Edhesive  Edhesive brings STEM to schools in a way that is effective, affordable and easy to adopt. It provides an online curriculum from recognized experts, student support, teacher tools and resources, and professional development.  Nationally recognized high school educators provide best-in-class instruction. Courses are designed by K-12 teachers for K-12 students, and mapped to a K-12 school year. The courses are complete, not supplemental. Students exchange ideas and help their peers—both locally and around the country—in an online forum. The moderated forum also lets them post questions and get answers from Edhesive’s course instructor and teaching assistants.  (AP Computer Science A)

This is helpful. Thank you!  All of mine look like your Edhesive blurb. I’m not sure if it’s too long, but it’s making my profile look pretty dense.

I do wonder if anyone is going to actually read this thing.😊

• Like 2

I think I made a short list of educational partners on my school profile, but where I spelled it all out was on my course descriptions. On the first page of my course descriptions I put educational partners and gave a short description of each as well as what classes were taken through them. My course list was several pages and I turned it in as an extra transcript. 

• Like 1

My school profile was one page and did not include an Educational Partner section.

I did include the names of the online providers in my course descriptions (and/or their website address) and anything else that I thought was important (like when the foreign language teacher was a native speaker), but assumed colleges wouldn't necessarily recognize them or care. (We did not use AoPS or PAHS.)

• Like 2

I had short blurbs in the school profile. More like the PAH  version above than the Edhesive one.  

In my course descriptions I listed the outside provider within each appropriate course description. 

Looking at it now, I think an admissions reader is more likely to read all of the profile and skim the descriptions than the other way around.  That said, the school one kid attends did comment on how much they appreciated the detail in the descriptions. So I know he at least read it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

My school profile was one page and did not include an Educational Partner section.

I did include the names of the online providers in my course descriptions (and/or their website address) and anything else that I thought was important (like when the foreign language teacher was a native speaker), but assumed colleges wouldn't necessarily recognize them or care. (We did not use AoPS or PAHS.)

This is the approach I take. I do not believe Us care one iota for who the outside providers are or if there are except for actual brick and mortar, accredited schools like DE. Then, the institution will be recognized and sending their own transcript.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

4 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

This is the approach I take. I do not believe Us care one iota for who the outside providers are or if there are except for actual brick and mortar, accredited schools like DE. Then, the institution will be recognized and sending their own transcript.

8 hours ago, Julie of KY said:

I think I made a short list of educational partners on my school profile, but where I spelled it all out was on my course descriptions. On the first page of my course descriptions I put educational partners and gave a short description of each as well as what classes were taken through them. My course list was several pages and I turned it in as an extra transcript. 

Hmm.  I didn’t think to include it with the course descriptions.  I will have to think about that.  If nothing else, I am going to shorten my descriptions. The only place I mentioned these outside classes was in the school profile.

So, approximately how many pages long were your course descriptions?  My transcript is one page and my school profile and guidance counselor letters will be two or less, but I think I have 18 pages of course descriptions.🤪. My dd has taken a ton of classes, which is at least partly why it so long.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

So, approximately how many pages long were your course descriptions?  My transcript is one page and my school profile and guidance counselor letters will be two or less, but I think I have 18 pages of course descriptions.🤪. My dd has taken a ton of classes, which is at least partly why it so long.

Ten pages.

My DD took classes from a slew of different providers. Eleven, I think (not counting Landry). It took no extra lines to list the provider's website/name (because it was on the same line as the amount of credit for the class- 1/2 or a full credit) and only a line to list anything special (like the course was designated honors by the provider or the teacher was a native speaker or whether the class met in person) for that class.

The biggest course descriptions were for homemade classes. I also included full booklists, so that took some serious space.

I thought that if the adcoms want to read them, they will. Otherwise, no big deal. I know the selective scholarship committee at one of DD's universities read them because they asked detailed questions about a couple of her classes.

• Like 2

My school profile/counselor letter was 1 page, transcript was 1 page, and course descriptions were also 1 page - 1 line per course stating materials or provider used for the course.  I didn’t describe the course providers anywhere.

Only 1 school out of 8 wanted course descriptions, and it specified that the descriptions should be brief.  Check to see what is required for the schools your student is interested in.

Edited by JazzyMom
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

Also ten pages.  I included the name of the education partner with each class like this:

AP Statistics

In this course, students are introduced to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. Students are exposed to four broad conceptual themes: exploring data (describing patterns and departures from patterns), sampling and experimentation (planning and conducting a study), anticipating patterns (exploring random phenomena using probability and simulation), and statistical inference (estimating population parameters and testing hypotheses).

Partner:  PA Homeschoolers

Instructor: Carole Matheny

Text: The Practice of Statistics by Daren S. Starnes, et al.

(except without the blank lines, and it wasn't in bold...not sure what's going on here)

• Like 2

On 3/29/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mom0012 said:

Hmm.  I didn’t think to include it with the course descriptions.  I will have to think about that.  If nothing else, I am going to shorten my descriptions. The only place I mentioned these outside classes was in the school profile.

My course descriptions were about 8 pages. I can fit 2 history or English courses with long booklists on a page, 3-4 science or language courses, and 4-5 math courses.  

I use a 10pt font with spacing of 1.15 (pick multiple then type in the spacing) which is readable but not spread out.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

My course descriptions were about 8 pages. I can fit 2 history or English courses with long booklists on a page, 3-4 science or language courses, and 4-5 math courses.  

I use a 10pt font with spacing of 1.15 (pick multiple then type in the spacing) which is readable but not spread out.

I will have to try that font.  I am currently at 16 pages, but think I can get it to 15 with my current 12-point font.  So maybe significantly better even with 10-point.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I had short blurbs in the school profile. More like the PAH  version above than the Edhesive one.  

In my course descriptions I listed the outside provider within each appropriate course description. 

Looking at it now, I think an admissions reader is more likely to read all of the profile and skim the descriptions than the other way around.  That said, the school one kid attends did comment on how much they appreciated the detail in the descriptions. So I know he at least read it.

My school profile was about two pages.  I had a section about the community (location-wise, copied from the profile from our local high school,  and homeschooling-wise), philosophy, grading scale, GPA calculation method and educational partners.  I didn't include a ton of detail about each educational partner.  Just a blurb about who they were and a short summary of what we used them for.  Also, I might have had a sentence about their grading scale if it was different than what I specified in the school profile.  

On 3/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, daijobu said:

Also ten pages.  I included the name of the education partner with each class like this:

AP Statistics

In this course, students are introduced to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. Students are exposed to four broad conceptual themes: exploring data (describing patterns and departures from patterns), sampling and experimentation (planning and conducting a study), anticipating patterns (exploring random phenomena using probability and simulation), and statistical inference (estimating population parameters and testing hypotheses).

Partner:  PA Homeschoolers

Instructor: Carole Matheny

Text: The Practice of Statistics by Daren S. Starnes, et al.

(except without the blank lines, and it wasn't in bold...not sure what's going on here)

I had 9 pages.  With my first two kids, I did the course descriptions chronologically.  While I did not get any complaints from any adcoms, a local mom who was preparing to become a college applications consultant did poll many schools and found that a lot of them preferred the course descriptions to be by subject, so I changed for my last one.   Not sure if it made a difference.  Here are a couple of examples of course descriptions:  

Early British Literature                    Semesters: 1                       Credits: 0.5                                                    Gr 10
This course is an overview of the history of British literature beginning with Anglo-Saxon roots and culminating with
Shakespeare and his peers. Texts uses: Classics of British Literature (Great Courses), Beowulf (Haney translation), The
Canterbury Tales (Chaucer), Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Hamlet (Shakespeare,) Macbeth (Shakespeare.)

First Year Seminar                         Quarters: 1                          Credits: 0.5     North Central College           Gr 11
                                                                                                                            (ENG 125 – 3 credit hours)

Gateway course for North Central College's integrative curriculum. Focuses on reading, writing, and critical
thinking related to a specific area of inquiry. Team-taught by faculty from English and another department.
Topics vary, but emphasis is on rhetoric and interdisciplinary perspectives. Texts used: Writer/Designer: a
Guide to Making Multimodal Projects
(Kristin L Arola), Travels with Charlie (John Steinbeck).  Instructor: Dr.
Pearce Durst

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I had 9 pages.  With my first two kids, I did the course descriptions chronologically.  While I did not get any complaints from any adcoms, a local mom who was preparing to become a college applications consultant did poll many schools and found that a lot of them preferred the course descriptions to be by subject, so I changed for my last one.   Not sure if it made a difference.  Here are a couple of examples of course descriptions:  

What I did for order was to match the order of the transcript.  My transcript was done by subject, with each course listed in the order it was taken.  My course descriptions did the same.  Each subject was grouped together, then courses were listed in order.  I thought that gave readers the ability to easily find the courses they were interested in, or see how the progression of level of difficulty ran.

(My transcript was actually two pages long.  The traditional looking transcript was first and was in subject order.  The second page was what I thought of as my gpa worksheet, on which I listed courses taken each year and had columns showing credits and quality points along with a line about why any course was weighted on the gpa.  I did this mainly to show why each course was weighted and as a worksheet for myself.  After I'd sent it in the first time, I realized that it also served as a chronological transcript for schools who wanted to see that format.)

• Like 2