Menu

Would you go, or would you stay??

We drive a big old, gas guzzling Suburban, and since we moved 800 miles from "home," 2.5 years ago, we've only been back home 2 times. Times have been tough for us, economically, for those last couple years. We have struggled hard to come up with the hundreds of dollars that we needed to drive the whole way.

We have an exceptionally close family, on both mine and dh's sides. The grandparents, and great-grandparents, are all together in our home town. Some of the brothers, sisters, and nieces, and nephews are there too. We love our families, and miss them. My dh's grandmother just had major cancer surgery this week. This is the grandmother who shares a first name with one of my daughters. A pretty special lady. My grandmother has alzheimer's and is getting very old. My parents will be alone this year, with my grandmother, as my brother and his wife and kids are leaving town, and my mom's sister is leaving town too.

I'm feeling rather home sick, and just did the math and realized that it would only cost us about 180 dollars in gas to get there and back this Thanksgiving! That's a third of what it cost us last time we were up there.

We live in an area of the country where heavy winter weather is a big factor, but it is suppose to be pretty nice, for the most part, next week. But, that's always a gamble...and a worrisome one, with 5 kids in the car.

I just keep thinking about the opportunity to have a weekend with the grandparents, and a few of my girls' cousins, whom they totally adore. We never, never do stuff like this. We are those "ultra responsible, ultra boring" type people. But, responsible and boring is good when it comes to the checkbook and staying safe!

So, would you go, or would you stay?? We haven't had a holiday with family for years...it would be really "weird!"

Ok...with tears in my eyes, because you are all speaking what's in my heart...I'm off to try to put together a smart way to lay this out for dh. He's even more "responsible and boring" than I am! But, he's worrying to death about his grandma right now...so I think it could be a rather easy sell.

"We live in an area of the country where heavy winter weather is a big factor, but it is suppose to be pretty nice, for the most part, next week. But, that's always a gamble...and a worrisome one, with 5 kids in the car."

I know kids make us protective but you can't (or maybe you can:glare:) worry about what "might" happen. You're always safe where God wants you to be ;).

We drive a big old, gas guzzling Suburban, and since we moved 800 miles from "home," 2.5 years ago, we've only been back home 2 times. Times have been tough for us, economically, for those last couple years. We have struggled hard to come up with the hundreds of dollars that we needed to drive the whole way.

We have an exceptionally close family, on both mine and dh's sides. The grandparents, and great-grandparents, are all together in our home town. Some of the brothers, sisters, and nieces, and nephews are there too. We love our families, and miss them. My dh's grandmother just had major cancer surgery this week. This is the grandmother who shares a first name with one of my daughters. A pretty special lady. My grandmother has alzheimer's and is getting very old. My parents will be alone this year, with my grandmother, as my brother and his wife and kids are leaving town, and my mom's sister is leaving town too.

I'm feeling rather home sick, and just did the math and realized that it would only cost us about 180 dollars in gas to get there and back this Thanksgiving! That's a third of what it cost us last time we were up there.

We live in an area of the country where heavy winter weather is a big factor, but it is suppose to be pretty nice, for the most part, next week. But, that's always a gamble...and a worrisome one, with 5 kids in the car.

I just keep thinking about the opportunity to have a weekend with the grandparents, and a few of my girls' cousins, whom they totally adore. We never, never do stuff like this. We are those "ultra responsible, ultra boring" type people. But, responsible and boring is good when it comes to the checkbook and staying safe!

So, would you go, or would you stay?? We haven't had a holiday with family for years...it would be really "weird!"

I say go!

Sidenote: What kind of gas prices are you paying? 1600 miles total and all it will cost you is $180?? That is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...