Menu

ACT scores much higher than SAT scores

DD completed both the ACT and SAT in the last 6 weeks.  Her ACT total score was a 32, and her SAT was an 1170.  When Iook at charts that compare the two tests, her SAT should have been in the 1300's.  Just wondering if it is typical to score much higher on either the ACT or SAT.

• Like 1

I've always heard that if you're really wanting to get into a specific college that allows either test and you were less than satisfied with how you did on one, then you should take the other test.  Some students will do a lot better on one than the other.

The two kids of mine who did this scored about the same on both.

When we were first figuring out which test to take, I read something that said:

25% of people do better on the ACT over the SAT.

25% of people do better on the SAT over the ACT.

50% of people do equally well on both. 

I had my son practice an ACT and and SAT.  He falls into the 50% category (he got equivalent scores in each.). So, we decided to have him study for the test given at the local school instead of the one at a school farther away.  It happened to be the SAT.

I wouldn’t bother to retake the SAT.  If she wants to retake a test, she should focus on the one she’s better at naturally.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t bother doing the SAT.

My older daughter was always better at English than Math, but she preferred the old SAT because she didn’t have to spend a long time on a single section. It’s all changed now, so I guess she would pick the ACT if she had to take it now.