Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Shellydon

ACT scores much higher than SAT scores

DD completed both the ACT and SAT in the last 6 weeks.  Her ACT total score was a 32, and her SAT was an 1170.  When Iook at charts that compare the two tests, her SAT should have been in the 1300's.  Just wondering if it is typical to score much higher on either the ACT or SAT.

• Like 1

My kids who took both all scored much higher on the ACT.

ETA:  My husband and I did, too.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

Some students do far better with one than with the other. My DD did a little better with the ACT. The ACT of 32 is very competitive.

• Like 1

Was your dd stronger in the language sections? That’s how my dd is, and that made for much stronger ACT scores. 

• Like 1

My kids ACT scores were always way lower than their SAT scores.  The ACT favors faster processing speeds.  So slow readers or those who work slower have more time leeway with the SAT.  

• Like 1

I've always heard that if you're really wanting to get into a specific college that allows either test and you were less than satisfied with how you did on one, then you should take the other test.  Some students will do a lot better on one than the other.

The two kids of mine who did this scored about the same on both.

So should she even bother to retake the SAT, or just retake the ACT and hope for a couple more points on it.

When we were first figuring out which test to take, I read something that said:

25% of people do better on the ACT over the SAT.

25% of people do better on the SAT over the ACT.

50% of people do equally well on both. 

I had my son practice an ACT and and SAT.  He falls into the 50% category (he got equivalent scores in each.). So, we decided to have him study for the test given at the local school instead of the one at a school farther away.  It happened to be the SAT.

I wouldn’t bother to retake the SAT.  If she wants to retake a test, she should focus on the one she’s better at naturally.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My kids ACT scores were always way lower than their SAT scores.  The ACT favors faster processing speeds.  So slow readers or those who work slower have more time leeway with the SAT.  

Just to note on this, I think the reading speed part might be more of the issue than overall processing speed. I have a slow processor, which is why we initially planned on only the SAT for her, having read that the ACT was really tight on time. Fortunately, the summer before Senior year I read advice here that suggested for a student who is strong in language, the ACT is usually better. She did a practice, and it really was a big difference (33 vs 1240). She’s a fast reader though, despite having an overall low processing speed and being slooooow on the math section. So, I definitely recommend kids do a practice of both before deciding. 

• Like 3

Math on the ACT counts for less; there are more non-math portions. All of my kids did better on one test than the other. And I could tell by MS which test they'd be better at. We still did both, but I was not surprised by which test was a better fit. 

DS did far better on the ACT, since math is his weakest area. Students who are weaker in math and stronger in English/reading often do better on the ACT because math is only 25% of that score, vs 50% of the SAT score.

I wouldn’t bother doing the SAT.

My older daughter was always better at English than Math, but she preferred the old SAT because she didn’t have to spend a long time on a single section. It’s all changed now, so I guess she would pick the ACT if she had to take it now.