Menu

Birthday gift for a 90 year old - help

mlktwins

My dad just moved to a new senior apartment building in December.  He has met some nice people and his next door neighbor is turning 90 (he also plays bingo and poker with this guy 3 times a week).  The neighbor is having a b-day party on the property next Saturday - food and entertainment.  My dad keeps asking me if he should bring a gift.  I'm not sure?!?!?  I have asked him to ask around, but he keeps forgetting.

So...any thoughts?  I am picking up a card, but I'm not sure what the guy would want or need at 90.  He is not in the best of health and is on a scooter whenever I see him. He is very nice, but I don't know him that well.

If the neighbor is giving the party, and your dad has just moved in there, I would think no gift would be needed.  If your dad really wants to do something, take some food or drink - beverage he knows the neighbor would like, a small fruit basket, something like that.   He could also ask the neighbor if he can bring anything to contribute to the property.

• Like 4

Can you call and ask the managers there for an idea of what he should expect regarding gift giving at the apartment party? I don't think they usually worry too much about gifts, it is just something different they can look forward to doing (not to be mean, I just know how it was for my parents in these places).

My mom used to play Bingo for 5 cents a card...if this is the case, how about a roll of nickels or dimes...if it costs them anything?

Yes, large print word searches or crosswords...or how about a bottle of good beer...

• Like 1

I gave my dad a box of "Nostalgia" candy from his childhood and it was a big hit. He liked it and people had fun looking through it and asking about the different brands and whatnot. Mine was a pre-done box from Amazon but he could also just buy a few random things. 

I like the idea of asking the manager! 

OP here 😀.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  I talked to one resident that knows the bday boy and she said he doesn’t get out much and recommended an Amazon gift card.  Today I spoke with his caregiver, who will start cleaning my dad’s apartment next week, and she said Amazon gift card, a gift card to his favorite local restaurant, and scratch off lottery tickets.  Dad chose the restaurant gift card.