Menu

What do you charge to watch a child?

1GirlTwinBoys

I know this could vary depending on region, but I just wanted to get an idea... 

What would you charge to watch a toddler-5 year old during weekdays? (No diapers) Would you charge by hour? I have no idea how to figure this.

I was thinking about trying to watch a child now that mine are in school just to bring in extra money.

The average cost of daycare/week for potty trained children in the last two states I have lived in has been $225-250/week (40 hours). That works out to roughly $6.25/hr or $50/day. Additional flex hours (early drop off, late pickup) had additional fees. Meals and snacks were not provided. These were both LCOL areas.  Here the going rate seems to be $160-200 a week for home based daycare. 

You can use care.com to check your local rates.  

• Thanks 1

At your house or theirs?

Full time or part time?

I have generally paid nanny / babysitting service roughly $20/hour for 2 kids.  However, the daycare option was only $10/hr for 2 kids, so that wasn't necessarily competitive with the market.  I paid a little more than market because the nanny was full-time and had an opportunity cost i.e. could not go get another job / insurance (I helped her buy insurance).  Also she drove to my house.

This depends on so many factors. COL where you live, whether you know the family, how regular the arrangement is... I will say $25 per day seems really low. But if you're in a low COL area and it was going to be a regular arrangement with a trusted family, then it might make sense.

• Like 1