Menu

Inexpensive K Choices

homemommy83

I was going to use Christian Light KII with my up and coming little Ker this year with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and some readers that I already have😉, but he just finished ETC primers and is almost done with the Rod and Staff preschool books...so after looking at CLE again (which I love and have used before😁) I felt that it looked a little too easy for him.

His skills:

He knows all letters and sounds and has began blending sounds and some 3 letter words...would be further, but I have taken it easy with him being my 5th  he had major speech difficulties.

He can rhyme.

He counts to 20, but mentally can go further...his speech gave him trouble...kwim.  I am adding the next 10 every week or so for the next few weeks as he is able.

He knows shapes, colors, same and different, visual perceptions skills are strong.

Loves puzzles.

Is great with coloring...and loves coloring, cutting, and pasting activities.

Phonics orally has been helping his speech in addition to speech therapy and now he talks much more clearly.

I have a 30 dollar budget and wondered what you all would get him to do for K in addition to phonics and readers which I have.😁

Thank you ladies for the ideas early😄.

Brenda

Sounds like you have reading covered. Do you want written phonics practice? Because then you could move on to ETC 1. Those aren't that expensive. For math, my current K'er has been loving these books this year: https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Math-Grade-Gold-Workbooks/dp/160418776X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547314326&sr=8-4&keywords=homework+gold+star+edition There's a bunch of them. I don't know if I'd add much beyond that, except for fun stuff like colouring or art.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

Sounds like you have reading covered. Do you want written phonics practice? Because then you could move on to ETC 1. Those aren't that expensive. For math, my current K'er has been loving these books this year: https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Math-Grade-Gold-Workbooks/dp/160418776X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547314326&sr=8-4&keywords=homework+gold+star+edition There's a bunch of them. I don't know if I'd add much beyond that, except for fun stuff like colouring or art.

I thought about using ETC 1 and 2 for K as well...as it would fit the bill of where he is.  That would leave me about 15 to spend on some other things...I would also like him to do some handwriting review...I can print that off for a couple bucks at the library or maybe I can get one of those complete K books as it would also have some math built in as well.  I can easily do a calendar monthly, counting practice, grouping items or rolling dice for addition work.  K is pretty simple...I just want to touch a lot of bases😁

I will check out the math workbooks you mentioned.... Thanks😁.

Brenda

• Like 1

Just use the library.  Read aloud lots of books - fiction, science, history... whatever he likes.  For math, see if your library has books by Greg Tang and the MathStart readers (Stuart Murphy).  Play Chutes & Ladders and Uno.  Make books together (he dictates and illustrates, you scribe).  

Kids learn more quickly through play.  So... play.  

• Like 5

What do you want your K year to look like?

We did K on a shoestring budget.  I broke down the skills I wanted to solidify before 1st and worked on each of those during our week.  Our main focus were these:

Folk/Fairy tales.  There are a lot of online activities you can find, but I wanted to focus on easy to retell stories, or ones that are repetitive in nature (like Goldilocks, Billy Goats Gruff, Little Red Hen..). Each week we spent with one fairy tale, doing activities to go with it and learning how to retell with puppets, play acting, and drawings.  I wanted those narration skills getting pretty solid for beginning SOTW the next year.

Handwriting.  We had a lined slate and cheap wipe off board.  Started with single letters and built up to single words, then single sentence copywork.  I invested in a set of red/blue lowercase magnetic letters to reinforce the spelling rules he learned little by little.

Math.  We did MEP. 

Social Studies.  We focused on our place in the world.  Over the year we built a tower starting with the smallest cube (who he was - name, age, etc), and slowly going through family, house (address), neighborhood, town, county, state, country, continent, planet.

Art: We did Wee Folk Art (first editions are free) since it was seasonal and often fell well with our folk/fairy tales.  We merged artist study with music appreciation, picking a composer and an artist who complemented each other.

Science: A lot of nature study, some Mystery Science.

The things I would definitely pay for in K:

-magnetic, lowercase letters.
-art supplies
-basic science supplies (magnifying glass, bug catcher, binoculars)
-base 10 blocks/c-rods/something to play with for math

Everything else can be had for free.

• Like 2

$9.00 = Complete Book of Kindergarten (256 pages, additional practice with basic skills, and reading/math/writing readiness)
$17.81 = Cuisenaire Rods -- and use with free lessons & printable worksheets and the free Education Unboxed videos

or

$5.45 = Handwriting Practice Book (108 pages)
$6.86 = Jumbo Activity Book (106 pages) -- mazes, dot-to-dot, coloring
$15.99 = Pattern Blocks -- and use with free lessons & printable worksheets

(or other grouping or these or other books that add up to $30) 

+ Free Resources:
Science of the Week -- uses the Let's Find Out About Science books from your library
Country of the Week -- lists books, but can substitute with books at your library
Owl & Mouse website -- free educational software and printable
Starfall website -- free online letters and learning to read games
Education.com website -- free online math games
Teacher Tube website: Leap Frog Letter Factory -- watch Leap Frog Letter Factory (learning to blend/read) video for free

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, shinyhappypeople said:

Just use the library.  Read aloud lots of books - fiction, science, history... whatever he likes.  For math, see if your library has books by Greg Tang and the MathStart readers (Stuart Murphy).  Play Chutes & Ladders and Uno.  Make books together (he dictates and illustrates, you scribe).  

Kids learn more quickly through play.  So... play.  

I agree...and is one reason I am purposely keeping K cheap.  He is part of my prek-1 classic readaloud group and will join my evening primary group-finishing American History and I am heavily considering BF Around the World with Picture Books once finished😁.  Books, games, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods, matching games, memory games are the backbone of what I do with my littles.  I am also considering MFW activities by letter for my littles...I just love doing those.  All of this is already a part of what we own after 4 kiddos before😂.  Reading is my main focus, but he absolutely loves workbooks so I didn't want him to feel left out and wanted it to be useful😁.  Thank you for pointing out the foundation of the young years is playing and reading to them...and I totally agree😁

Brenda

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

$9.00 = Complete Book of Kindergarten (256 pages, additional practice with basic skills, and reading/math/writing readiness)
$17.81 = Cuisenaire Rods -- and use with free lessons & printable worksheets and the free Education Unboxed videos

or

$5.45 = Handwriting Practice Book (108 pages)
$6.86 = Jumbo Activity Book (106 pages) -- mazes, dot-to-dot, coloring
$15.99 = Pattern Blocks -- and use with free lessons & printable worksheets

(or other grouping or these or other books that add up to $30) 

+ Free Resources:
Science of the Week -- uses the Let's Find Out About Science books from your library
Country of the Week -- lists books, but can substitute with books at your library
Owl & Mouse website -- free educational software and printable
Starfall website -- free online letters and learning to read games
Education.com website -- free online math games
Teacher Tube website: Leap Frog Letter Factory -- watch Leap Frog Letter Factory (learning to blend/read) video for free

I think that Jumbo Activity Book will be right up his alley😁.  I will look at the Complete Book of K closer as well...it might just fit the bill😉.

Oh my Word all of the resources!  You are amazing!  Thank you!

• Like 1

A pack of Cuisenaire Rods and a pack of Pattern Blocks.

There are oodles of free onlne resources for both of these.

For c-rods I like Education Unboxed and Gattegno's textbooks. We are still using c-rods for grade 4 and 5 math.  They are a good investment!

• Like 2

I think I have made a decision😁.

For workbooks I will get the Jumbo Activity workbook...for a daily fun page😉.

Numbers with Spunky grade 1...it is more of a K program that goes deeper in the 2nd semester of more first grade concepts...and it uses a lot of handmade manipulatives😁.

I am still debating between Explode the Code 1 and 2 or Pathway Learning with Sounds through the 1st reader and workbook...this is addition TYCTRin100EL.

I will probably do Pentime 1 A workbook...a page a day.

It will run just under 40 for all of these...so it also fits the budget😁.

Thank you ladies😁.

Brenda

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, homemommy83 said:

... I will get the Jumbo Activity workbook...for a daily fun page😉.

I, too, did "fun pages" for my DSs when we started homeschooling them in grades 1 & 2! I found some great close-outs/discontinued books for $.50-$1, plus free printables -- mazes, very simple word searches, dot-to-dots, simple math puzzles, hidden picture puzzles, etc. So fun! (:D

If you can find them cheap used, the Gifted & Talented activity books have a good variety of types of puzzles and activities -- the Math books, esp. Here are some of the ones for ages 4-6: 
Math ages 4-6
Math Puzzles & Games ages 4-6
Reading ages 4-6
Reading Puzzles & Games ages 4-6
Phonics Puzzles & Games ages 4-6
Language Arts Puzzles & Games ages 4-6

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, homemommy83 said:

I think I have made a decision😁.

Sounds like you've got a great plan -- some solid basic resources + reading good books and lots of time for imaginative play and discovery. Have a great kinder year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, homemommy83 said:

I was going to use Christian Light KII with my up and coming little Ker this year with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and some readers that I already have😉, but he just finished ETC primers and is almost done with the Rod and Staff preschool books...so after looking at CLE again (which I love and have used before😁) I felt that it looked a little too easy for him.

His skills:

He knows all letters and sounds and has began blending sounds and some 3 letter words...would be further, but I have taken it easy with him being my 5th  he had major speech difficulties.

He can rhyme.

He counts to 20, but mentally can go further...his speech gave him trouble...kwim.  I am adding the next 10 every week or so for the next few weeks as he is able.

He knows shapes, colors, same and different, visual perceptions skills are strong.

Loves puzzles.

Is great with coloring...and loves coloring, cutting, and pasting activities.

Phonics orally has been helping his speech in addition to speech therapy and now he talks much more clearly.

I have a 30 dollar budget and wondered what you all would get him to do for K in addition to phonics and readers which I have.😁

Thank you ladies for the ideas early😄.

Brenda

I would look for free online stuff and save the $30. So far, I can find a ton for free online as well as at the library.

• Like 1

Your year looks good. I have so many options, so much stuff on my shelf for my Ker that I could do, that I would only need to buy a few pieces here or there. And yet, I added up what I would like to get her and it was going to be almost $200. And I really could save that and use it for my high schoolers. 

With my 1st I bought her the R&S 1st grade math for K, did Bob books from the library, and it cost us all of less than $30 for the first semester of K. Second semester I added in R&S reading 1st grade and spread that out over the next year and a half, so it still wasn't a huge expense. With my 2nd ker I just had to replace the workbooks to do it all. 

This time around, 10 years after my last Ker, I could replace all of the R&S 1st math and reading workbooks for around $65.  I also have MFW K on shelf (which I won't use. It was given to me...,) Abeka complete set of K workbooks, may need T.Ms.??, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ lessons, access to SchoolHouseTeachers dot com which I pay for for classes for my olders and which could give me complete classes for her, with just printing, already paid for. I would love to buy her a set of Dyxlexia Games series A. She is a lefty, and my mdd dealt with Dyslexia and worked really well with the Thinking Tree and Dyslexia Games materials, so I feel like starting her with them from the beginning would be good, but that can get really pricy. So do I just buy her one or two workbooks to start the year, or buy the full set on PDF to print myself which is cheaper in the long run?? I have shelves full of manipulatives, readers, etc. 

I just cannot decide. I am still trying to figure out senior year and college plans with my oldest, and everytime I try to plan out K, it just stresses me out. I need to set a deadline and a budget for deciding. This really went nowhere. Sorry for that. 🙂

• Like 1

With my Kindergartner we use Phonics and Reading Pathways,  Mc Guffey readers, Bob books and other readers/books from the library.

Blend Phonics (free online)

Ray's Arithmetic (free online)

I did buy Horizon Math K (sans teaching manual).

Writing we have done through books from different stores.

DD wants to learn cursive. I can either buy a printer or a program.

We go to storytime (2-3 × a week), homeschool co-op (2 × a month), homeschool book club and lego club once a month.

Money is an issue for us so I try for free first then buy something if I have to. 

The library is a great resource. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

Your year looks good. I have so many options, so much stuff on my shelf for my Ker that I could do, that I would only need to buy a few pieces here or there. And yet, I added up what I would like to get her and it was going to be almost $200. And I really could save that and use it for my high schoolers. 

With my 1st I bought her the R&S 1st grade math for K, did Bob books from the library, and it cost us all of less than $30 for the first semester of K. Second semester I added in R&S reading 1st grade and spread that out over the next year and a half, so it still wasn't a huge expense. With my 2nd ker I just had to replace the workbooks to do it all. 

This time around, 10 years after my last Ker, I could replace all of the R&S 1st math and reading workbooks for around $65.  I also have MFW K on shelf (which I won't use. It was given to me...,) Abeka complete set of K workbooks, may need T.Ms.??, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ lessons, access to SchoolHouseTeachers dot com which I pay for for classes for my olders and which could give me complete classes for her, with just printing, already paid for. I would love to buy her a set of Dyxlexia Games series A. She is a lefty, and my mdd dealt with Dyslexia and worked really well with the Thinking Tree and Dyslexia Games materials, so I feel like starting her with them from the beginning would be good, but that can get really pricy. So do I just buy her one or two workbooks to start the year, or buy the full set on PDF to print myself which is cheaper in the long run?? I have shelves full of manipulatives, readers, etc. 

I just cannot decide. I am still trying to figure out senior year and college plans with my oldest, and everytime I try to plan out K, it just stresses me out. I need to set a deadline and a budget for deciding. This really went nowhere. Sorry for that. 🙂

I am doing that to...so many options, but oh..look new and shiny..lol.

Btw I loved MFW K activities for K when my olders were younger....and if I could find my old manual I definitely would be adding them for my youngers...but I just can't justify buying it again.  MFW activities have been some of the best memories with my olders when they were little😄.

I actually already changed my mind again😂...and have decided on CLE learn to read program next fall...I did it with my daughter when she was young and it was a hit😁.  It starts gentle, but goes pretty deep at the end of the year into blends and digraphs which will help his speech as well😁.  

Brenda

Edited by homemommy83
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mommyof1 said:

With my Kindergartner we use Phonics and Reading Pathways,  Mc Guffey readers, Bob books and other readers/books from the library.

Blend Phonics (free online)

Ray's Arithmetic (free online)

I did buy Horizon Math K (sans teaching manual).

Writing we have done through books from different stores.

DD wants to learn cursive. I can either buy a printer or a program.

We go to storytime (2-3 × a week), homeschool co-op (2 × a month), homeschool book club and lego club once a month.

Money is an issue for us so I try for free first then buy something if I have to. 

The library is a great resource. 

I really love the Pentime Handwriting books...the are 5.50 on Rainbow Resource...and my kiddos look forward to their new book each year.  

Money is an issue here as well.  I have a 250 budget for my 6 kiddos this year...I own tons of readalouds, pretty much all textbooks for Apologia and Rod and Staff that I need because my oldest is in HS now and I saved our main curriculum and used extra money to build our basic framework...so I am mainly just filling in consumables.  

With our extra check month in May I could get BF Around the World with Picture Books...and it is high on our consideration list of major splurges this year, but it is only if our savings doesn't have to be refilled for an unexpected expense.  I originally thought I would have 200...so 250 leaves wiggle room to get craft and basic supplies for littles activities and bigs explorations😂.

3 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

LOL! We can keep throwing out ideas for you for the next 6 months... That gives you loads of time for multiple mind-changings... 🤣

Lori...you are one of my favorite friends on here😁.  Thank you for always being so encouraging.  I am actually being a bad girl😂😂...my son is literally a week from finishing all of his prek workbooks....soooo I am spending the diaper money I saved from cloth diapering in my household budget on the CLE K2 program as a gentle review until the fall-he just loves workbooks...so I am letting him start on his 5th birthday😁.  I just knew it was too light as a main program for him next year, but then I thought ooooohhhh....I just love those sweet workbooks...so I am surprising him soon😂.  He will do CLE learn to read next fall😉.  

If I only had one the poor thing would be so overwhelmed....😁...see what I do with number 5.  

Brenda

• Like 1

Ah, Brenda, you're too kind!  And not bad of you at all to get upcoming kinder DS some workbooks out of your saved $$ from the diaper budget -- since he loves them, go for it! He'll enjoy doing them all spring and summer. Sounds like he would enjoy just about anything you decide on for next year -- he sounds like a super sweetie! Wish I lived nearby so I could come over once a week to have fun helping out in your homeschooling and be an "extra auntie"!  😍

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Ah, Brenda, you're too kind!  And not bad of you at all to get upcoming kinder DS some workbooks out of your saved $$ from the diaper budget -- since he loves them, go for it! He'll enjoy doing them all spring and summer. Sounds like he would enjoy just about anything you decide on for next year -- he sounds like a super sweetie! Wish I lived nearby so I could come over once a week to have fun helping out in your homeschooling and be an "extra auntie"!  😍

That sweetie just kissed my check😂.  He really is the sweetest kiddo.  He has seemed excited about everything he gets to do....he is his speech pathologist favorite kiddo...but she said she isn't supposed to have favorites😂.  I think she feels so proud of herself/him for taking a grunting only child to reading and talking expansive sentences in a year...and she sees his love for her because what freedom she has given him and love she has shown...she should feel this way...she worked 3 hours a week with him for a long time.  My heart will always hug her. 

I would love having an auntie over!  The kids work hard and honestly are so easy going I feel bad when people go "you must have your hands full" or "I could never homeschool that many kiddos"...I always respond that everyone works together...I don't do it all and secondly I love the tutoring time with each of them as it is bonding time and I get to talk to them each for moment alone...I do wish for more hours in the day though😁.  I am very blunt that every child has a morning chore and I almost never make lunch...and my olders do their own laundry...my chore load hasn't changed from 3-soon to be 7 kiddos....just continue to wash walls alot😂 and mop daily😂....perpetually having a toddler is messy😁.

You seriously are an encouragement to so many on here.  I love you ladies...

Brenda

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 11:14 AM, homemommy83 said:

I am doing that to...so many options, but oh..look new and shiny..lol

I actually already changed my mind again😂...and have decided on CLE learn to read program next fall...I did it with my daughter when she was young and it was a hit😁.  It starts gentle, but goes pretty deep at the end of the year into blends and digraphs which will help his speech as well😁.  

Brenda

That is how I feel about my original way of schooling with R&S. I know how well the phonics/reading went before, and I really loved it. So I know I want that in the mix. That gets TYCTR and probably most of the SHT reading programs out of the mix for me. I've never been an Abeka fan. So I wll probably pull the books out and flip through them for supplementary pages or cut/paste activities only. I like the looks of MFW, but honestly, I don't like the schedule portions of it.It is not my style. I would never keep up. It is something I would only pull ideas or books from. So I won't be getting rid of it. I have all of the goodies to go with it. My friend passed down all of the flashcards and other extras that she had. I will pull from that stuff. 

But in all I will probably stick with:  1st semester: R&S math, grade 1 with felt board duckies, R&S ABC workbooks, wherever we are after preK this year, and just fun stuff for the rest. I want her to know the continents and oceans. We will be in an American History year with the high schoolers, so I will read her picture books and What Your Ker Needs to Know history sections. What Your Ker Needs to Know for various songs and such. And then I will see what homeschool group activities or classes are available.  2nd semester, I need to start reading with her as she will be hitting 6 about that time.  I think I will wait and see where we are at that time to see what I want to do. I think she ought to be ready for R&S 1st grade reading/phonics and Bob books by then.  I still want to throw some Dyslexia Games in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 10:18 PM, 2_girls_mommy said:

That is how I feel about my original way of schooling with R&S. I know how well the phonics/reading went before, and I really loved it. So I know I want that in the mix. That gets TYCTR and probably most of the SHT reading programs out of the mix for me. I've never been an Abeka fan. So I wll probably pull the books out and flip through them for supplementary pages or cut/paste activities only. I like the looks of MFW, but honestly, I don't like the schedule portions of it.It is not my style. I would never keep up. It is something I would only pull ideas or books from. So I won't be getting rid of it. I have all of the goodies to go with it. My friend passed down all of the flashcards and other extras that she had. I will pull from that stuff. 

But in all I will probably stick with:  1st semester: R&S math, grade 1 with felt board duckies, R&S ABC workbooks, wherever we are after preK this year, and just fun stuff for the rest. I want her to know the continents and oceans. We will be in an American History year with the high schoolers, so I will read her picture books and What Your Ker Needs to Know history sections. What Your Ker Needs to Know for various songs and such. And then I will see what homeschool group activities or classes are available.  2nd semester, I need to start reading with her as she will be hitting 6 about that time.  I think I will wait and see where we are at that time to see what I want to do. I think she ought to be ready for R&S 1st grade reading/phonics and Bob books by then.  I still want to throw some Dyslexia Games in there somewhere. 

I have never done MFW entirely as written-with the exeption of my firstborn😉...I always used the Bible portion and pick and chose an activity or two a week to go with the letter-it is all I ever had time for...you can really enjoy it that way😁.

Fellow Rod and Staff lover here😁...slowly I have gained a love for their Spelling, English, Math, Social Studies, and Science.  I never did the phonics despite how good it looked solely because of cost for us was too high during the times I considered it as I mainly teach reading with a few reading primers.

If you want a laugh...I found something even better to fit my goals for little man...this is my last idea change😂...I am ordering this week😁.  I found a program that can do that is truly K and would compliment our Rod and Staff that will follow😉...I like CLE, but prefer mastery based and didn't know of this program until a couple days ago, but it was exactly what I was looking for and within my budget😁.

MCP Math K-will do A if finished early and I think he will😀. Spunky would have been free...but this looked perfect for the 1st semester😀.

MCP Phonics K-😉

Pentime 1A-he gets to join the crew and feel so big😂.

I am also doing TYCtRin100EL until he hits a snag-most of my kids take a break about lesson 60😉...and then do Phonics Pathways for a while....and then finish 100EL when ready-my kiddos love the funny stories.  I have also done The Reading Lesson with a couple kiddos and it was good, but I have it lent out and I think the faster approach will work better for him as he is already blending.

I will also pick him up the JUMBO fun workbook at Walmart...he loves to color ect...

Brenda

P.S. Thank you to all of the ladies who helped me choose and rechoose😄😂.  I am so excited to start soon with little man.

• Like 1