Menu

Tuft and Needle or other online mattress....which do you like?

Ottakee

My ds needs a new mattress and box spring.  He wants one of the memory foam types vs. a traditional mattress.  he is 5'5" tall and 160 pounds and not going to grow anymore.  He has bedding and a frame for a full size so that is what he wants.

Tuft and Needle are $495 but I saw other options on Amazon with just as high ratings for 1/2 the cost.  I can afford the higher priced Tuft and Needle if it really is worth the added cost but if it is about the same quality, just generic vs. name brand type thing, then saving money would be good.  He has no health issues, back problems, sleep issues, etc.

What do you have and love.....or what did you buy and wish you hadn't?

We got a Tuft & Needle and found it both way too hard and way too hot. The firmness is especially important if you are a side sleeper as it will cause painful pressure points. The Tuft & Needle Mint is supposed to be softer but it costs even more money and I am not sure how it does on the hotness scale. You can do searches for best bed-in-a-box mattresses on youtube and even specify things like side sleeper or hot sleeper or a few other things. My dd has bought a few other mattresses off Amazon for her guests' rooms and both her and the guests have been happy with them. I am currently looking at the Layla mattress.

Thanks for the input.  I had a Comfortpedic mattress that I hated.  It was like new but a hand me down from my daughter.  I ended up going with a traditional mattress from a local furniture store and LOVE it.  It was pricey but sleep is so important.

My brother and his wife and all 3 kids have Tuft and Needle beds and love them.  My brother is a very large guy and says it is so comfortable.

I hate spending big money on something not knowing how well it will be liked in a few months.  I do see some of them have some pretty good trials.

MIL has a Tuft & Needle I think. she's determined to like it but she keeps saying things about changing her bed size and I think it's partially just to get a new mattress.

We have used Ikea mattresses, DH and I, I guess, are easy to please. Their cheapest mattress we slept on for 3 years and I was sad to lose it to the move. We are now on a more expensive Ikea mattress and like it, perhaps not quite as much as the first, lol. 

I will admit to be a sucker for advertising, and the next time we get a mattress we'll get a Purple mattress. 🙂 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input.  I prefer a traditional mattress so I keep wondering if I should get him on like mine.  My respite provider even contacted me as a weekend here with the kids to ask me the brand/model of mattress as she said she slept the best ever on it.

5 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Simmons brand, from their Hotel Bed program.

You tell them where you stayed that you liked the mattress at, and they make one for you to order.  It is purported to last longer than typical residential use mattresses because of the hard use requirements at a hotel.  Most comfortable mattresses I have ever owned.

Wow, I've never heard that!  I once slept on the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on, at a hotel, and have looked for several years now at mattress stores for it.  That particular model doesn't seem to exist.  I think it was a Simmons!  I wrote it all down somewhere...  I'm going to try and find it.

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Wow, I've never heard that!  I once slept on the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on, at a hotel, and have looked for several years now at mattress stores for it.  That particular model doesn't seem to exist.  I think it was a Simmons!  I wrote it all down somewhere...  I'm going to try and find it.

I thought it was brilliant of my husband to think of this.

We called the place we stayed and asked where they got their mattresses, and they gave us this 800 number and the rest was history.

• Like 1