Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW51: December Equinox

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week Fifty-one in our reading quest. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews.  

Winter is approaching in the Northern Hemisphere and Summer in the Southern half of the world as we celebrate the December equinox on the 21st. The equinox is the two times a year when the sun is the closest to the celestial equator, which means it is time for a mini reading challenge. Choose a book with winter or summer themes, with seasonal words in the title, a book about nature or a book of poetry by Emily Dickinson. Select one or more of the words from Emily Dickinson's poem below and find a book with one of those words in the title. 

Emily Dickinson

Complete Poems
 Part Two: Nature 

It sifts from leaden sieves,
It powders all the wood,
It fills with alabaster wool
The wrinkles of the road.

It makes an even face
Of mountain and of plain,—
Unbroken forehead from the east
Unto the east again.

It reaches to the fence,
It wraps it, rail by rail,
Till it is lost in fleeces;
It flings a crystal veil

On stump and stack and stem,—
The summer’s empty room,
Acres of seams where harvests were,
Recordless, but for them.

It ruffles wrists of posts,
As ankles of a queen,—
Then stills its artisans like ghosts,
Denying they have been.

Brit Tripping

Our Brit Trip is taking us down Watling Way to Cumbria which is a beloved vacation spot with its beautiful Lake District .

cumbria+lake+district+in+winter.jpg

Rabbit trails: Beatrix Potter More Beatrix Potter  Kendall Castle Ship building

2019 Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks reading quest has been posted on the 52 Books blog  and includes a new 52 Books Bingo, Whodunit Bookology and the Sound of Silence.  Brit Trip is turning into a perpetual challenge and the other mini challenges have been updated.   

What are you reading?

Link to Week 50

• Like 10

Good morning.  I'm currently reading Last Chance Christmas Ball which is written by the authors of Word Wenches.  I'm enjoying this anthology set during Christmas 1815 in England and Scotland, the events surrounding Lady Holly's 50th annual holiday ball.   Loving it so far.

"Christmas 1815. Upstairs and downstairs, Holbourne Hall is abuzz with preparations for a grand ball to celebrate the year’s most festive—and romantic—holiday. For at the top of each guest’s wish list is a last chance to find true love before the New Year…

A chance meeting beneath the mistletoe, a stolen glance across the dance floor—amid the sumptuous delicacies, glittering decorations, and swell of the orchestra, every duchess and debutante, lord and lackey has a hopeful heart. There’s the headstrong heiress who must win back her beloved by midnight—or be wed to another….the spinster whose fateful choice to relinquish love may hold one more surprise for her…a widow yearning to glimpse her long-lost love for even one sweet, fleeting interlude …a charming rake who finds far more than he bargained for. And many other dazzling, romantic tales in this star-studded collection that will fill your heart and spice up your holidays…"

• Like 8

For Cumbria I am currently read The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/586437.The_Tale_of_Hill_Top_Farm which is  the first in a fictional series about Beatrix Potter.  First, I have to love any book with a pet Hedgehog so I am enjoying it.  My imagination is running wild because one of my family’s Black Friday bargains was a copy of the recent Peter Rabbit movie.  Everyone enjoys it and I have watched it way more than once!  So that cheeky Peter and crew is coming to life in this book!

I also finished a book of novellas by some of my favorite historical romance authors https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41792723-how-the-dukes-stole-christmas.  As always I enjoyed Teresa Dare, Sophie Jordan, and Sarah MacLean’s stories.  The last was set in New York in a later time period by an unfamiliar author......blah, but I finished it. 😉

• Like 8

I read The Physician - 4 Stars - This is simply beautiful historical fiction and I was hooked right from the get-go. The plot was exciting throughout. The protagonist was one that I rooted for – something that I seem to need in books and movies. I have to root for somebody!

It’s the story of an English orphan and the trials and difficulties that he had to endure to become a physician in 11th century. I hardly knew anything about the book before reading it and was pleasantly surprised to read all that about the early Persian Empire – my place of birth. My dad spent some of his happiest childhood years in in some of the places mentioned.

One of the characters, Avicenna (Ibn Sina – 980-1037), is someone that Persians revere. He was an absolute genius, a polymath, the father of early modern medicine, and one of the most significant astronomers, thinkers, and writers of the Islamic Golden Age.

The book has been made into a movie, which I have yet to see. I felt that at times it was a bit too wordy and it seemed to stagnate somewhat in the middle, but it picked up wonderfully later. I won’t be reading the rest of the books in this trilogy, since I have read the reviews and it seems that they’re quite disappointing, or at least the third one is. If you like historical epics and sagas, the sort of books like “Pillars of the Earth” and “Gone with the Wind”, you may enjoy this one also.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Mankind is close to savagery and must live by rules. If not, we would sink into our own animal nature and perish.”

“Even for a child, he felt, involving oneself with the world’s suffering had to be a voluntary act.”

I also read The Hostage - 3 Stars - In 1997, an NGO worker, Christophe André, was held hostage in Chechnya. His horrifying story is told in this book in a graphic novel format. The art and storytelling are both wonderful. It did get a bit repetitive, but that’s done intentionally, in order to show how repetitive and painful his days were. It perfectly matches his own experience. I have such admiration for his strength and perseverance, how he was able to keep himself together, and not break down mentally.

9781453271100.jpg   9781911214441.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM
5 Stars
The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine. 
4 Stars
Really Good
3 Stars
Enjoyable 
2 Stars
Just Okay – nothing to write home about
1 Star
Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 8

Finished but two books again this week (normally that's not a problem, but the End of the Year is looming!)

127. Twain's Feast  by Andrew Beahrs - Quite enjoyed it!  A great pick for the Foodie square. 4 stars.

128. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (audiobook) - I liked it okay, but it was such a 'guy' book - I'm not sure exactly what that means, but somehow it struck me that way.  The writing was just okay, and I've read/watched enough multiverse stories that the plot didn't seem all that fresh, either.  3 stars.

Currently reading:

- El diario de Frida Kahlo / The Diary of Frida Kahlo - For the Art square.  Yes, I've procrastinated. :wink:

- La fiesta del chivo / The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (ebook) - about halfway through and liking it.

- Euphoria by Lily King (audiobook) - needed an audiobook, and it was available...

- Soul Made Flesh: The Discovery of the Brain - and How it Changed the World by Car Zimmer - a Christmas present from last year; thought I should finish it by this Christmas! :tongue:

• Like 9

Not much reading this week, as dh was out of town at another conference (I hate December) and there just wasn't time what with cooking, cleaning, homeschooling, and some sort of big holiday coming up that demands lots of preparation. But I'm half-way through Robert Elsmere, my Cumbria read, and hope to finish it shortly as I need to read Bonaventure's Itinerarium mentis in Deum with Middle Girl this week. My translation is from the '70s with a picture of St. B. on the cover, done in that groovy style that was so popular for church art back in the day. MG is amazed by it.

• Like 9

Hi everyone! Last week I read My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - good, quick read. The author writes well and I felt as though I "knew" the characters right away. 

Right now I'm in the middle of listening to 11/22/63 by Stephen King. So good and not quite what I expected. I am also reading The Witch Elm by Tana French and am finding her writing similar to Stephen King's. 

I've finished my Christmas shopping - I think this is the earliest time I've finished ever! I feel really good about it, too - didn't go overboard and think everyone will like what they receive. 

• Like 8

Christmas cards and Christmas shopping is done and now on to wrapping of the presents.  Of course, Mama Santa bought herself a couple books while at Barnes and Noble today. 😀  Plus I downloaded from Audible - Thomas Merton on Contemplation and The Art of Xray Reading.

I have 11/22/63 in my virtual stacks - glad to know you all enjoyed or are enjoying.  

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Robin M said:

I'm currently reading Last Chance Christmas Ball which is written by the authors of Word Wenches.  I'm enjoying this anthology set during Christmas 1815 in England and Scotland, the events surrounding Lady Holly's 50th annual holiday ball.   Loving it so far.

I read that with pleasure last year.  Enjoy!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Hi everyone! Last week I read My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - good, quick read. The author writes well and I felt as though I "knew" the characters right away. 

Right now I'm in the middle of listening to 11/22/63 by Stephen King. So good and not quite what I expected. I am also reading The Witch Elm by Tana French and am finding her writing similar to Stephen King's. 

I've finished my Christmas shopping - I think this is the earliest time I've finished ever! I feel really good about it, too - didn't go overboard and think everyone will like what they receive. 

Another 11/22/63 fan here.  I still need to read the Tana French before The Witch Elm.....definitely a mini goal for next year.

I accidentally hit post earlier before mentioning that I finished listening to The Benedict Option yesterday which Texas (sorry, I need to figure out how to make my keyboard make that A) read a couple of weeks ago and others were interested in.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31625593-the-benedict-option I thought it was a good clear discussion of that state of churches in the US and applicable to my experiences UK.  I gave it a 5 but really vacillated on 4, as I anticipate giving a couple copies of this book away in the future decided to round up. 😉. I’ll be honest and say he didn’t say a great deal that was new to me (thanks to Dh) but found the book rather affirming.  The first section moved slower than the rest so don’t give up!   So much of the middle of the book was focused on exactly what I found wrong with the C of E although he wasn’t discussing that denomination.  😂  The country club mentality,  the desire to be popular as opposed to scripturally sound,  the incredible liturgy that was hollow because few had any knowledge of the scripture. A downward spiral.......

I also liked that he was so positive about home education......he also expressed a huge concern for the tech we are exposing our children to in terms that I really agree with.  The tech was a huge concern in general and I was surprised when he mentioned going online during church as common.  This is a book I would be happy to read again if people decide they want to discuss it as a group.

• Like 8

I’ve been shuffling and sorting book titles and authors for the reading challenges I’d like to try next year (The Book ’tecs, Sleuths, and, Private Eyes  spelling challenge, and, join in the Scotland focus).  One of the titles I’m really looking forward to listening to  - someone here recommended it (Kareni?), thank you!  - is Quirkology  which will help to take care of one of those tricky Q’s.        I won’t be reading/listening as voraciously next year so I’m going to set my reading quota to 70.

Completed:

210:  Y =  Year at Thrush Green: Thrush Green Bk12 ~ Miss Read   (5) Faux English Village.   It was an absolute delight to have this gentle read to enjoy as we head towards Christmas.  It’s always a pleasure to revisit the villagers in Thrush Green and to have the focus of the book paying so much tribute to Mrs. Curdle.     Extra: emotional adultery, a led characters mother dies, death of a beloved pet.  All scenarios are penned with a gentle hand.

211:  The Courts of the Morning ~ John Buchan, narrated by Peter Joyce   (2 ¾ ) This one is a political adventure, not my cup of tea, so I didn’t find it as engaging or as enjoyable as other Buchan stories – at one point I just skipped ahead, trimming off 4 chapters, which didn’t seem to affect the story at all.

212:  Tied Up in Tinsel: Roderick Alleyn Bk27 ~ Ngaio Marsh, narrated by Nadia May   (3)  Relisten. (The Moors, Aylesbury Vale, Downley – Buckinghamshire)  Repeat listen. 

I’d forgotten who’d dunnit and enjoyed this story more this 2nd time through.  The first time, years ago, I was critiquing to see if the content was suitable for one of the DC – it wasn’t for them back then, as Marsh’s characters are portraying mature (often messy!) adult scenarios.  Extra: Some bawdy content, partricide.

Still reading :

O=   The Invisible Child: On Reading and Writing Books for Children ~ Katherine Paterson   I'm aiming to complete my first read through of this book, this year; and, count it as the last book needed to spell “holly’.  

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

One of the titles I’m really looking forward to listening to  - someone here recommended it (Kareni?), thank you!  - is Quirkology  which will help to take care of one of those tricky Q’s.

You have a good memory as I have indeed recommended that in the past.  It prompted some interesting dinner time conversations when I read it some years ago.  I hope you'll enjoy it.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wish we had some kind of ecumenical Benedict Option reading group, or social group, or something.... I'm probably not (full dosclosure) going to read the book as I've seen enough excerpts to form a firm idea what's in it, but an Orthodox Jewish friend and I have been discussing things that seem deeply related to what the book is talking about, and I see here interest in the ideas from Sandy (Anglican) and Æthylthryth (Orthodox-leaning if I recall?) that make me think there's a pan-religious chord being struck.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I’m totally game. We can start a social group here- maybe after Christmas when things have calmed down for everyone? 

Sounds great!

I want to add that the Benedict Opinion definitely has things to offer Evangelicals also so this group can be quite inclusive.  The author uses PCA churches as examples of good things frequently.  🙂. I was an “other” at the C of E for several years  because of the unusual membership rules regarding parish churches.  At that time, with our original vicar,  there was no serious belief conflicts and I loved going to church in my backyard literally.  I loved that church and so did my kids until a whole lot of things went wrong.

I finished my Cumbria book this morning.  Susan Wittig Albert’s Beatrix Potter cozy series is one I wish I would have turned to when Dd was 12.  They would have been perfect.....her China Bayles series is a favorite but has a bit more of an edge to it.  The animals were cute!  

• Like 7

My reading recently has been on Audible more often than not, since I am trying to finish the blanket (interminable!) I’m knitting for ds19 by Christmas. I listened to Almost Everything by Anne Lamot - I love everything she writes and hearing her read it herself makes it only better. She is so witty it kills me! One of those writers who makes me think, “man, I wish I had crafted that phrase!” 

I have begun listening to Love Does by Bob Goff - meh. I’m withholding judgment, but if this book gets out of three-star land (at best), it can only be if some miraculous surprise is right around the corner, causing delight. It feels a bit soaked in privilege and his “capers” he talks about would easily get certain people shot or at least detained. Sneaking into the Library of Congress in the middle of the night, posing as part of a movie crew while National Treasure II is being filmed? Never in my rule-following nightmares would I ever dream of doing something so reckless. Let alone bring my kids! I’m also just struggling to see what the point is. Anne Lamot can tell a funny story and link it to faith and I laugh and totally get it. Bob Goff seems to be trying to do that, but leaves me scratching my head. Also, it’s awfully “Jesus-y.” I hope that’s not an offense. It’s more Jesus-y than Donald Miller, which is closer to my expectations. 

I am trying to face down the probability that I will not quite make 52 books, which honestly does bother me a bit. In years past, I missed the BAW goal by quite a lot of books, and I shrugged and said, “yeah, but I read all the ________ (whatever my other personal challenge was that year).” But to miss it by just four or five books is honestly going to bug me. 

I wish there were a way to just open up my head and dump all the books in! 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I wish we had some kind of ecumenical Benedict Option reading group, or social group, or something.... I'm probably not (full dosclosure) going to read the book as I've seen enough excerpts to form a firm idea what's in it, but an Orthodox Jewish friend and I have been discussing things that seem deeply related to what the book is talking about, and I see here interest in the ideas from Sandy (Anglican) and Æthylthryth (Orthodox-leaning if I recall?) that make me think there's a pan-religious chord being struck.

7 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I’m totally game. We can start a social group here- maybe after Christmas when things have calmed down for everyone? 

Sounds great!!

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

A Love Letter to Murderbots, Hamster Princesses, and Other Cute Reads  by Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer

7 Books That Helped Me Survive 2018  by Sarah Gailey   -- an interesting list; I read one (Fortitude Smashed by Taylor Brooke) and put one aside unfinished (Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik)

Best Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy of 2018  by Alex Brown 

Five Books With Distinct Flavors   by Cassandra Khaw

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

19 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

18 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Good plan.

17 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Sounds great!

I want to add that the Benedict Opinion definitely has things to offer Evangelicals also so this group can be quite inclusive.  The author uses PCA churches as examples of good things frequently.  🙂. I was an “other” at the C of E for several years  because of the unusual membership rules regarding parish churches.  At that time, with our original vicar,  there was no serious belief conflicts and I loved going to church in my backyard literally.  I loved that church and so did my kids until a whole lot of things went wrong.

I finished my Cumbria book this morning.  Susan Wittig Albert’s Beatrix Potter cozy series is one I wish I would have turned to when Dd was 12.  They would have been perfect.....her China Bayles series is a favorite but has a bit more of an edge to it.  The animals were cute!  

12 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

Sounds great!!

I''m all in but won't have time to start reading the book until the beginning of the year.  However you all want to work it, I'll be a fly on the wall with regards to discussions until then.  😘  

• Like 4

I finished Last Chance Christmas Ball  which is a really well written flufferton full of hope and love.  Now I want to read all the books written by the Word Wenches.  Speaking of the Word Wenches, check out Patricia Rice's post on Politically Incorrect History. Food for thought.

If you love Star Wars, what do you think of Emily Asher Perrin's Star Wars Cautionary Tale.

For our audio book aficionados - The best Audiobooks to enjoy this Christmas.

Also check out girlxoxo's Master List of 2019 Reading Challenges is you need more ideas for books to add to your reading lists or challenges to try. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I had to abandon Outlaw by Angus Donald, as it had a truly graphic  p#rnogr@phic s- scene. It ticked me off to be honest- I was enjoying the book and it came so far out of left field. That killed the book for me, so it's a DNF. 

Is there any place you can check adult books, as in not YA or children's, that will warn you on content, or give you a summary without spoiling it? I can handle language and non-graphic scenes. I just have zero desire or tolerance for the kind of stuff that was in Outlaw. I guess I should've read more reviews. 

So, now I'm back to Uhtred. Just returned Outlaw and exchanged it for War of the Wolf by Bernard Cornwell (Saxon Stories #11). 

Publishers weekly's blurb had this tidbit at the end of their mini review --- "Add miraculous escapes, the rescue of a fair maiden, romance, witchcraft, much drunkenness, and the introduction of Friar Tuck, Little John, Will Scarlet, and the evil Prince John, and you get a rousing yarn that takes the story you're familiar with and gives it a lively jolt of brutality and gore."  I saw two or three reviews which likened Donald to Ben Kane who writes really graphic historical fiction about Roman soldiers. Love his books but they are hard to read with all the violence. 

I usually do a general search for the book, author and review which usually generate reviews by publishers or book bloggers who have read the book.  They are pretty good about no spoiling the whole book. Goodreads is also good, although some folks go into much greater detail than needed, so it's a mixed bag. 

• Like 5

I just finished The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak which I will be discussing with my book group on Thursday.  It had me crying at the end. 

"When Death has a story to tell, you listen.

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 7

I just finished Ilona Andrews new novella Diamond Fire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39320167-diamond-fire.  It was 180 pages apparently so a long novella.  Loved it.  It is 3.5 in the Hidden Legacy series and the focus is shifting to a different sister, Catalonia (I may have the name spelled wrong), as Nevada and Rogan wed.  I think both Robin and Kareni have been reading this series but can’t remember if either of you has read Diamond Fire.......

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I just finished Ilona Andrews new novella Diamond Fire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39320167-diamond-fire.  It was 180 pages apparently so a long novella.  Loved it.  It is 3.5 in the Hidden Legacy series and the focus is shifting to a different sister, Catalonia (I may have the name spelled wrong), as Nevada and Rogan wed.  I think both Robin and Kareni have been reading this series but can’t remember if either of you has read Diamond Fire.......

Not yet. Downloaded today. Thanks for the reminder.

14 hours ago, Kareni said:

I just finished The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak which I will be discussing with my book group on Thursday.  It had me crying at the end. 

"When Death has a story to tell, you listen.

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement."

Regards,
Kareni

Yes, it's a great book and tugs on the heart strings.  I should add it to my reread list. 

I started Nora Roberts' Of Blood and Bone.  I'm liking it much better than Year One, the first book in the series.

"They look like an everyday family living an ordinary life. But beyond the edges of this peaceful farm, unimaginable forces of light and dark have been unleashed. Fallon Swift, approaching her thirteenth birthday, barely knows the world that existed before—the city where her parents lived, now in ruins and reclaimed by nature since the Doom sickened and killed billions. Traveling anywhere is a danger, as vicious gangs of Raiders and fanatics called Purity Warriors search for their next victim. Those like Fallon, in possession of gifts, are hunted—and the time is coming when her true nature, her identity as The One, can no longer be hidden. In a mysterious shelter in the forest, her training is about to begin under the guidance of Mallick, whose skills have been honed over centuries. She will learn the old ways of healing; study and spar; encounter faeries and elves and shifters; and find powers within herself she never imagined. And when the time is right, she will take up the sword, and fight. For until she grows into the woman she was born to be, the world outside will never be whole again."

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What do we want to call it-- the club? The Ecumenical Benedict Option Social Group is pretty wordy, LOL. Any ideas? I was going to go ahead and set up the group so everyone  that wanted to read/join had plenty of time to get the book and start reading if they wanted before "official discussions" begin next month. 

Also- are there other books besides The Benedict Option that anyone's familiar with that could be alternate/additional/future reads? 

Maybe something along the lines of Theologica Reads Social Group? 

I have Merton, G.K. Chesterton, and the Summo Theologica in my stacks.  Although I'm sure Violet Crown or Mum may have some great ideas.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What do we want to call it-- the club? The Ecumenical Benedict Option Social Group is pretty wordy, LOL. Any ideas? I was going to go ahead and set up the group so everyone  that wanted to read/join had plenty of time to get the book and start reading if they wanted before "official discussions" begin next month. 

Also- are there other books besides The Benedict Option that anyone's familiar with that could be alternate/additional/future reads? 

10 hours ago, Robin M said:

Maybe something along the lines of Theologica Reads Social Group? 

I have Merton, G.K. Chesterton, and the Summo Theologica in my stacks.  Although I'm sure Violet Crown or Mum may have some great ideas.  

I agree that we need somethong shorter....I was hoping that a good night’s sleep would give me ideas.  No luck.......Chesterton and Mere Christianity are both things I would like to revisit soon in terms of classics.  Benedict Option did an excellent job with current topics like home ed and screens, I would love to find more like that.  

• Like 3

Now for fun stuff......I keep working on my 10X10 list......this week’s version😂

1.  Agatha Christie (52 books perpetual challenge)

2.  Nordic Noir

3.  Outer Space

4.  Alternate Worlds

5.  Asian Mystery Tour

6.  The Last Book.......in a series (currently released)

7.  New Cozy Sampler Plate.......new to me

8.  Scotland

9.  Brexit Special......10 EU countries from VC’s list, great name

10.  The Sound of Silence (52 books Challenge)

• Like 5

I finished book 49 - The First City by Joe Holt. This was the final book in the Dominion Trilogy. This was an entertaining post-apocalyptic dystopian series based on the premise that all babies are born male and the population is dwindling due to war and (obviously) lack of females and new births. The series takes place about 20 years after the last female was born.

I give the entire series a 3.75 - 4 rating. It was entertaining but it's not something I would reread or purchase for my personal library. 

• Like 5

I think I've figured out my 10th category for my 10x10 ... books from series I started in a previous year.  I tend to shy away from series, as I like to finish things I start, but I also like to read all kinds of different things, and these two things can be at odds.  So I'm very picky - but I still seem to have started a lot of them over the past two years, and many I like well enough to continue with (or some tricksy books I read thinking they were standalone and then - a sequel!).  Most are SciFi or Fantasy, but I've also got Story of the Stone and the last book in Kristin Lavransdatter and a couple of mystery series (Erlendur and Chen Cao).  I'll be able to finish up many of the shorter sequences (like to finish what I start!) but some longer sequences might have to continue into another year...

So, now I've got: 

1.        10 books over 500 pages
2.        10 books in Spanish
3.        10 books in German
4.        10 science fiction
5.        10 fantasy
6.        10 translated
7.        10 non-fiction (not biography or memoir)
8.        10 Biography-or-memoir
9.        10 books from Read-the-World Challenge
10.     10 books from series I started in a previous year

I have not managed to come up with catchy titles for any of these categories. :unsure:  There will be some overlap, but I will try to minimize it. :smile:  This should be fun!

• Like 7

Enjoying all the challenge shares - they each look like a fun way to read through 2019!  (With the society being mentioned, would an acronym, sometime like TEBOS, work ? the T could stand for The or  for something Theology based.  Looking forward to seeing what clever name you all decide on.)

I've completed the Holly Challenge with my last book - a worthy read.   I'm not sure if I'll get back here again, after this week,  until the New Year..... ( post another surgery and with the hoped for clean bill of health.  No response needed for that)   Wishing each of you good health, peace and rest, and some time to read!,  during the Christmas season. 🙂 

O =  The Invisible Child: On Reading and Writing Books for Children ~ Katherine Paterson (5)  N/F   (book)   I purposely wanted to sip read this, so I could pause and ponder over the thoughts Katherine had originally crafted as acceptance speeches and were then gathered together as a collection to form this book.  I don’t think I would have enjoyed the speeches in a few solid reading sessions, one speech crammed in on top of the last four speeches would be a little bit like eating too many chocolate eclairs in one go.     I’ve underscored portions and jotted my own thoughts down throughout the book;  I’ll definitely be rereading The Invisible Child.  I’ve gained a greater understanding to the background of what birthed the thoughts behind Katherine's books which gives me a grudging respect for some of the titles that I have definitely had mixed feelings about …. maybe time for me to take a re-read of a few of those from a different vantage point.

ETA: Adding what I am reading/listening to:

Edited by tuesdayschild
books ;)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

My desktop computer died yesterday as I was typing. so you'll likely not see much of me for a time until something else is arranged.

Wishing you all happy reading!

Regards,
Kareni

Hope you figure something out soon because you will be missed here!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

My desktop computer died yesterday as I was typing. so you'll likely not see much of me for a time until something else is arranged.

Regards,
Kareni

Ack!   Terrible time of the year for that to happen. Hope you'll get something sorted really quickly Kareni.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Regards,
Kareni

Ack! I really hate when that happens.  So sorry. But there's a bright side. A shiny new computer for Christmas. In the meantime, we'll miss you, even if its just a day or so.  😘

• Like 4

Because @tuesdayschild may not be able to check in until the new year I decided to pull my Brit Tripping list together and post.  I am pretty sure I am done, still reading but doubt anything will change any of the official books.   All counties have been visited at least once on the Detective Bus!  Generally using the first book I read for each county but that was very subject to change!  😉

Ermine Way

London Scotland Yard  The Big Four by Agatha Christie

Cambridgeshire   Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

Huntingdonshire.  Cambridge Blue by Alison Bruce

Bedfordshire   Face Down Upon the Herbal by Katherine Lynn Emerson

Northamptonshire  A Long Shadow by Charles Todd

Nottinghamshire  The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey

East and West Yorkshire  Hangman Blind by Cassandra Clark

York  Sovereign by CJ Sansom

Dere Street

North Yorkshire  Murder on a Summer’s Day by Frances Brody

Durham  The Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch

Tyne and Wear  Hidden Depths by Ann Cleeves

Northumbria Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy Atherton

Ichnield Way

Isle of Wight  Face Down Among the Winchester Geese by Kathy Lynn Emerson 

Dorset  To Ruin a Queen by Fiona Buckley

Hampshire  Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Berkshire The Killings at Badgers Drift by Caroline Graham

Buckinghamshire  Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin 

Hertfordshire  Revelation by CJ Sansom

Essex  Death at Bishops Keep by Robin Page

Suffolk Death at Gallows Green by Robin Paige

Norfolk The Dark Angel by Ella Griffiths

Fosse Way

Cornwall  Mistletoe and Murder by Carola Dunn

Devon  A Brush with Shadows by Anna Lee Huber

Dorset  The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

Gloucestershire Malice in the Cotswolds by Rebecca Tope

Leicestershire  The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

Derbyshire  Dancing with the Virgins by Stephen Booth

Lincolnshire  The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie

Akemam Street

Historical London  Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas

Oxfordshire  The Serpant’s Tale by Ariana Franklin

Wiltshire  Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers

Somerset  Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin

Watling Way

Kent  Styx and Stones by Carola Dunn

Sussex  When God’s Die by CS Harris

Surrey  River of Darkness by Rennie Airth

London Spooky  Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch

Worcestershire Why Falcons Fall by CS Harris

Herefordshire  Why Mermaids Sing by CS Harris

Warwickshire  A Test of Wills by Charles Todd

West Midlands  The Primrose Connection by Jo Bannister

Staffordshire  Dark Fire by CJ Sansom

Shropshire  A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters

Cheshire  A Talent for Murder by Andrew Wilson

Mercyside The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Manchester  Face Down in The Marrow Bone Pie by Kathy Lynn Emerson

Lancshire Face Down Beneath the Elenor Cross by Kathy Lynn Emerson

Cumbria  The Tale of Hilltop Farm by Susan Wittig Albert

London Christmas  Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

• Like 7

I finished Letters Written in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark by Mary Wollstonecraft and with that book for the 18th century, my Bingo is done. Yay!

M. Wollstonecraft seemed to have enjoyed the scenery (particularly Norway) but she sure didn't seem to think much of the people who lived there. Their manners, their hospitality, their parenting - none of it was to her liking. I was stunned when I came to this quote: "Travellers who require that every nation should resemble their native country, had better stay home." 

These types of sentiments were more typical: "My present journey had given fresh force to my opinion, that no place is so disagreeable and unimproving as a country town."

And "The Danes, in general, seem extremely averse to innovation, and, if happiness only consist in opinion, they are the happiest people in the world; for I never saw any so well satisfied with their own situation." I thought it was interesting that Denmark was already considered the happiest country back in the 1790s! But averse to innovation? Ouch.

She wrote this book between her two suicide attempts, and she had gone to Scandinavia try to resolve some of her lover's business dealings. Her lover was quite the jerk, and her private letters to him are included in the appendices. I had hoped to get good context for a future read of Vindication of the Rights of Woman., and I did get that out of the book.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

I finished Letters Written in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark by Mary Wollstonecraft and with that book for the 18th century, my Bingo is done. Yay!

M. Wollstonecraft seemed to have enjoyed the scenery (particularly Norway) but she sure didn't seem to think much of the people who lived there. Their manners, their hospitality, their parenting - none of it was to her liking. I was stunned when I came to this quote: "Travellers who require that every nation should resemble their native country, had better stay home." 

These types of sentiments were more typical: "My present journey had given fresh force to my opinion, that no place is so disagreeable and unimproving as a country town."

And "The Danes, in general, seem extremely averse to innovation, and, if happiness only consist in opinion, they are the happiest people in the world; for I never saw any so well satisfied with their own situation." I thought it was interesting that Denmark was already considered the happiest country back in the 1790s! But averse to innovation? Ouch.

She wrote this book between her two suicide attempts, and she had gone to Scandinavia try to resolve some of her lover's business dealings. Her lover was quite the jerk, and her private letters to him are included in the appendices. I had hoped to get good context for a future read of Vindication of the Rights of Woman., and I did get that out of the book.

If you ever want to get even more context about Mary Wollstonecraft, I can highly recommend the dual biography of her and her daughter Mary Shelley, Romantic Outlaws by Charlotte Gordon.  The two Marys never met, as the mother died in childbirth, but her daughter was very influenced by her mother's work and legacy.  Mary Shelley even retraced her mother's journey to Scandinavia. The biography is in parallel, with alternating chapters of the two women at similar ages.  I really enjoyed it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Because @tuesdayschild may not be able to check in until the new year I decided to pull my Brit Tripping list together and post.  I am pretty sure I am done, still reading but doubt anything will change any of the official books.   All counties have been visited at least once on the Detective Bus!  Generally using the first book I read for each county but that was very subject to change!  😉

Oh my!  That is a seriously nice list!   Well done mum!    (Thank you for sharing your achievement this week for my benefit too 😘 ...  I'm off to goodreads to search the titles I'm not familiar with - there are quite a few.  I'm hoping our library with get some Robin Paige books in.)

• Like 4

Impressive list Sandy! Well done. A great trip it's been, too, through the English counties. Say, where's your co-conspirator Amy?

Penguin and Matryoshka, thank you for the Wollstonecraft/Shelley discussion and reading tips. Now there would be a great 10x10 category: "Shelley and His Circle." Shelleys, Godwins, associated Romantics....

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Penguin and Matryoshka, thank you for the Wollstonecraft/Shelley discussion and reading tips. Now there would be a great 10x10 category: "Shelley and His Circle." Shelleys, Godwins, associated Romantics....

Exactly!  I was thinking the same thing!

• Like 4

@tuesdayschild   Hugs and Merry Christmas!  Congrats on finishing the Holly challenge.  Thanks to you I'm planning all kinds of sip reads next year.,  😘

@mumto2   Woot  Woot! What a great list of books and I just downloaded the first book in Robin Paige's Victorian Mysteries. 

@Penguin   Huzzah! Congratulations on finishing Bingo and I look forward to seeing your list of reads. 

8 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Impressive list Sandy! Well done. A great trip it's been, too, through the English counties. Say, where's your co-conspirator Amy?

That would be a great category and make for some interesting reads. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 8:31 PM, Quill said:

<snip>

Probability that I will not quite make 52 books, which honestly does bother me a bit. In years past, I missed the BAW goal by quite a lot of books, and I shrugged and said, “yeah, but I read all the ________ (whatever my other personal challenge was that year).” But to miss it by just four or five books is honestly going to bug me. 

I wish there were a way to just open up my head and dump all the books in! 

I understand completely. Can you find short books to listen to or read? There are some audible books that are 3-5 hours each.

I just finished #50 today and know that my holiday reading time will be limited so I'm bypassing the 300+ page books and looking for the 150 page novellas. I wish I could find a holiday themed book that would make an easy read. I have Silas Marner (180 pages) but I'm not feeling it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I just finished #50 today and know that my holiday reading time will be limited so I'm bypassing the 300+ page books and looking for the 150 page novellas. I wish I could find a holiday themed book that would make an easy read. I have Silas Marner (180 pages) but I'm not feeling it.

I'm reading Dickens' The Cricket on the Hearth, which is reasonably short, Christmas-y, and in London.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Robin referred to a 'sip read'. Can you tell me what that means? I ran a search but it wasn't beneficial.

The way I understand it, is that its basically like taking small sips of water, reading a little bit at time. For me it would be reading multiple nonfiction books, taking a sip here and there until it's finished.  Does that make any sense?  More for essays, inspirational, poetry, things like that.  @tuesdayschild could give you a better idea.  

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I was poking around a bit more regarding The Benedict Option, and found this blog post, with a pic of some other potential reads for our TBD Theologica reading group I thought I'd share. 

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/benedict-option-reading-list/

Also, dh finished reading The Benedict Option and last night brought up what I thought of cancelling our Netflix account. I was like 😳 "But what will I watch while I'm on the treadmill?!" LOL. So be careful who you pass the book onto! 🙂

Nope you can't give up netflix.  Interesting list of books and I've added St Benedict's toolbook and Pope John Pauls Witness to Hope to my want list.  Pope Benedict is a wonderful writer and read Jesus of Nazareth Part one.  I have Jesus of Nazareth Part Two, as well as The Apostles in my stacks.  Haven't had time to read yet. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I understand completely. Can you find short books to listen to or read? There are some audible books that are 3-5 hours each.

I have listened to some shorter audiobooks while I work on knitting a blanket for ds. I have also listened in the car on the way to and from seeing my MIL. This has indeed helped as far as not falling further behind, but I doubt I can make up for the shortfall with so few days left in the year. 

I’m just about at peace with my shortfall. As far as I know, this is still the most books I have read in one year and still included several classics and one Big-assed classic (The Hunchback of Notre Dame). My average friend-on-the-street still finds reading 52 books a year absolutely astonishing. (Guess they don’t know any of our reader champions around here who read 3or 4 times that many!) I only know one person IRL who reads more books on average than I do. So - still doing well! 

PS: I have several half-finished books and if I forced myself, I could probanly finish them all and meet my goal. But I’m not feeling it. In at least one case, I put it aside for so long, now I have forgotten what I had read. 

• Like 4