Menu

Got any tricks for when paper ruins your laundry?

LMD

So, child who is old enough to know better, was asked to help by moving laundry from dirty basket into washing machine.

Said child also scooped up other items to put in the washing machine. Said child did not do this carefully - even as I called out to double check the items - and so managed to also scoop up 3 books (highly likely left there by said child in the first place) and deposit them in for a whole wash cycle.

Imagine my surprise to find my washing machine full of paper mache...

Oh, it gets better. I was washing some particular items because we have a wedding to attend tomorrow. Said items are now covered in that paper fluff, despite a thorough (anger fuelled) shaking out and rewash by me.

I need those items cleaned, rewashed and dry within 24 hours!

Can you help me, Hive? Please?!

P.s. they were only stupid Minecraft books so I'm less angry than I potentially could have been. They completely disintegrated.

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

clothes dryer? that helped for when I forget kleenex in the pocket

No dryer I'm afraid, we're rural and off grid - no extra power for a dryer. Normally, this time of year would have heat and wind to help me line dry. Of course, we've just had 3 days of pouring rain and now it's still misting and dead still...

I've put the inside fire on to dry the most important items quickly.

Edited by LMD

1 minute ago, LMD said:

No dryer I'm afraid, we're rural and off grid - no power for a dryer. Normally, this time of year would have heat and wind to help me line dry. Of course, we've just had 3 days of pouring rain and now it's still misting and dead still...

I've put the inside fire on to dry the most important items quickly.

I'm sorry. It's the tumbling action in the dryer that detaches the paper fuzz from the clothes. Without, I'd line dry and then hope vigorous shaking and brushing may help. good luck.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

I'm sorry. It's the tumbling action in the dryer that detaches the paper fuzz from the clothes. Without, I'd line dry and then hope vigorous shaking and brushing may help. good luck.

Thank you! I'm wondering if static cling plays a part, and if so how to recreate it... probably more effort than just anger-brushing!

3 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I'd use a damp cloth to help transfer the fluff.

We've had it happen here.  A pocketful of Kleenex and some velvety shirts were NOT a good combination!  But a damp washcloth helped to remove most of it.

Thanks! Will try it! Ouch, velvet and Kleenex!

I've had a tissue or receipt issue before, but the sheer volume of 3 disintegrated books is new for me!

Tape works on dry clothing.  Use wide masking tape if you have it, otherwise regular masking, painter's tape, or clear tape will work.  Make a loop (sticky side out) large enough to slide over your fingers.  Press loop on cloth and pull.  The paper should stick to the tape.  Rotate the loop and press another section.  When the loop is full of paper and fluff, make a new loop.  For large sections, you can apply the tape to the fabric in strips and then pull it off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beth S said:

I'd consider running into Town to use the laundromat's dryers.  🙂

I did consider it, but it's at least an hour round trip and I really don't want to!

The brushing seems to have done the trick. It's wearable and saved.

We may have another crisis happening with our water pump this time so that's fun. (Can't wash laundry without water!)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Oh no!

Hope the new crisis is manageable, and hope you have an OK day despite not being able to go to the wedding. 

Hugs.

Thanks Stella. The crisis is manageable, no one's fault, expensive and immediate but not a big deal in the scheme of things. It just means we have to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of time fixing this, rather than hundreds of dollars and hours of time in the car going to the wedding (again, why do people have weddings 3hrs drive away?! If it was one or two we could probably have still managed it...)

I'm just, really feeling quite sad about broken family relationships and projecting that fear onto this and being probably too emotional. Probably pms. Lol, my phone corrected 'pms' to 'old' - yeah that too.

My daughter is very disappointed.

Okay, vent over, big girl pants on. 

Edited by LMD
Missing apostrophe
  • Like 1