Menu

Freaked out - our breaker box is making a popping noise every 20 - 60 minutes.

dsmith

It sounds kind of like a breaker is tripping, but none have. It took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from, and now I'm worried that it may be a fire hazard. Why do these things happen on holidays late at night? Does anyone know if this is something I should worry about, like try to find someone tonight even though I'm kind of broke? I texted my brother, who is an electrician, but I haven't heard from him.

The circuit breaker that I usually overload is the kitchen one (countertop microwave, coffee maker and an electric kettle concurrently in use will trip it). If mine is making that kind of noise, I would turn off the circuit breaker for my kitchen one first and see if that helps.

I would unplug the TV too since a faulty TV has always tripped the circuit breaker when I was a kid. I would unplug any appliance not currently in use too just in case if the popping sound continues.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if the circuit was trying to trip and couldn't for whatever reason. I had a heater running but turned it off for the night, and I haven't heard the noise since then. I'm going to wait another 30 minutes or so and see if it happens. I couldn't find any electricians available, so hopefully it is ok to wait for morning.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I'm wondering if the circuit was trying to trip and couldn't for whatever reason. I had a heater running but turned it off for the night, and I haven't heard the noise since then. I'm going to wait another 30 minutes or so and see if it happens. I couldn't find any electricians available, so hopefully it is ok to wait for morning.

If you turned off the heater and no longer hear the noise, I think that you should be fine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dsmith said:

Maybe put your top suspicious items on a power strip and see if it trips? I learned last week that running the vacuum on the same strip as an electric heater trips it. Had that whole side of the house gone dark at once I wouldn’t have pinpointed that combination as easily. 

20 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Maybe put your top suspicious items on a power strip and see if it trips? I learned last week that running the vacuum on the same strip as an electric heater trips it. Had that whole side of the house gone dark at once I wouldn’t have pinpointed that combination as easily. 

You are not supposed to put an electric heater on a power strip. 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-you-should-not-plug-space-heaters-into-power-strips-according-to-fire-departments/

Please do not use a power strip with any electric space heater. 

My brother came over today and found some issues with corrosion most likely caused by a water issue we had. He spent a good amount of time checking things over and making repairs, etc, plus we got to visit for a while, which was nice. I feel much safer now!

• Like 7