Menu

Best Nighttime Decongestant for Adult?

Kassia

I prefer Mucinex for chest congestion and Sudafed (the stuff behind the pharmacy counter that you have to show your DL for) for nasal congestion. I'll do generic Sudafed but not generic Mucinex.  If coughing is an issue with chest congestion, I take the Mucinex with cough suppressant at night but the plain Mucinex during the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afrin nasal spray (or generic) is hands down the preferred treatment here for nasal congestion. Of course it can only be used for a short time. But oh my goodness does it provide quick, wonderful relief. It's particularly helpful if you have medical conditions or take other medications that make taking a systemic decongestant problematic or not an option at all.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I prefer Mucinex for chest congestion and Sudafed (the stuff behind the pharmacy counter that you have to show your DL for) for nasal congestion. I'll do generic Sudafed but not generic Mucinex.  If coughing is an issue with chest congestion, I take the Mucinex with cough suppressant at night but the plain Mucinex during the day. 

Hmm we do the same but I didn't know there was an issue with generic Mucinex...can I ask what issue you have had with it?

23 minutes ago, Mama Geek said:

Hmm we do the same but I didn't know there was an issue with generic Mucinex...can I ask what issue you have had with it?

I haven't had an issue, but the generic doesn't seem as effective. We almost always use generics, but not this one. It may be all in my head though! 

6 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

The real behind-the-counter Sudafed is a stimulant so may not be great at night if it affects you that way.

I learned this the hard way many years ago when DH was out of the country for work and I had the worst head cold of my life.  Four kids at home (one sick), Valentine's  Day blizzard meaning lots of shoveling, horrible head cold, and I couldn't sleep because of the Sudafed but didn't know at the time that was the cause.  

Nighttime congestion is rough. I hit the

Sudafed D 12 Hour (behind the counter) as soon as my eyes open, but for night I usually just take NyQuil Liquid with the goal of sleep. I will also do Mucinex if it’s chest congestion.  At night, elevated upper body/humidifier close by/ and NyQuil LIQUIDare my go-to. 

Hope you feel better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1