Menu

Confused by Roomba!

goldberry

We are thinking about getting one for my mom and dad.  They have a husky.  Do any of these actually work on pet hair?  And are the more expensive ones really better?  $400??  That seems so high, but it might be worth it if it actually picked up pet hair.

We got a mid level one five years ago so I can't speak to the newest models but ours still going strong. I think it was $200 or something? I use it on our hard surfaces everyday to pick up pet hair and dust bunnies so that when I mop, the pet hair isn't tangled up in my mop, blech! Mine does well for hardwoods, tile and vinyl but isn't good on carpeted surfaces. I still use my vacuum for that. Maybe the newer ones are better on carpet but I'm skeptical about their suction power.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

All I know is that according to every viral video I've ever seen, you're supposed to put a cat on it to make it go. ?

I love those videos- but alas, my cat is terrified of swiffers and brooms so I don’t see him piloting a Roomba in the near future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Amazon just had a good one as a deal of the day. I should have posted it. 

We got one from Costco when it was ~$50 off. I waited and saved and pounced on that sale after seeing a friend's Roomba in action. That thing picks up so much hair and she has 2 large, long-haired dogs. She runs hers often. Another friend runs hers after supper every night. I love mine! I researched other brands, and you'll likely see those brands and Roomba have sales this month. I wanted to be able to return it, so we got it from Costco. 

My only issue is that sometimes mine ignores the virtual walls. Yes, I make sure they are on (mine came w/ 2 from Costco), and,that the batteries are good. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

I have heard horror stories of those whose pets have had an accident and the poop is spread all over the house by the vacuum.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/15/roomba-robot-vacuum-poopocalypse-facebook-post

Well, yeah, I don't run mine without being home and in the space before I start it. Some people do the program and forget it thing. Mine is not that fancy. I have to be present to start the process so I've never had any issues with accidents. Then again, our pup is fully trained to go outdoors. The accidents we have occur when the children sleep in and/or don't let her out when she needs to go.

• Like 2

I love my Roomba, though I’m looking to upgrade here before long. I have had Roombas for a long time; like 12ish years. My first one didn’t last well, but the second one has gone strong for about nine years. It is losing its touch though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Well, yeah, I don't run mine without being home and in the space before I start it. Some people do the program and forget it thing. Mine is not that fancy. I have to be present to start the process so I've never had any issues with accidents. Then again, our pup is fully trained to go outdoors. The accidents we have occur when the children sleep in and/or don't let her out when she needs to go.

Mine can be scheduled, but I only use it when I'm home, and we don't have any pets. As it is, it gets stuck in one space that it shouldn't go, but sometimes does. 

• Like 2

If you expect it to go under furniture, make sure it will fit. We got matching chairs for our living room and the Roomba does not fit under them, so there's always dust bunnies under there. It already didn't fit under the couch, so now I'm not sure it's worth it when I have to remediate the floors under the major furniture anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I mostly have carpet. Are you saying these don't work on carpet?? :ohmy:

That's what I'm wondering.  Most people I know that REALLY like them have solid floors.  I'm sure they "work" on carpet (as in better-than-nothing), but do they really work, even with pet hair??   

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 12:16 PM, goldberry said:

That's what I'm wondering.  Most people I know that REALLY like them have solid floors.  I'm sure they "work" on carpet (as in better-than-nothing), but do they really work, even with pet hair??   

We used to have one (it broke and we have not replaced it, but I want to) and it did work on carpet with cat hair.  It also worked really well on picking up the Cheerios that our toddler  left all over the living room ?

• Like 2

We have a chow and a carpeted area too. It works with carpet, but it also depends which type, like if you have the "shaggy" type, the vacuum might not be able to get through it properly. Our carpet is the low pile kind, it does a decent cleaning so far. But we're looking into getting another one too since it's almost the black friday, they usually give good deals on it, especially on the high end units. What we have cannot be controlled over an app, so we're looking for an upgrade.