Menu

I survived.

Night Elf

You younguns don't need to worry about this so I'm talking to those of us who are older. I had my first colonoscopy done yesterday. I had a two-day prep and it was awful! However, the procedure went well and I don't have to go back for 10 years. My appointment was in the afternoon so I took a lunch with me to eat in the car on the way back home. I was so hungry!! Then two hours after that I had a large dinner. Then I had a sandwich about 8:00 pm, and my normal bedtime snacks about 9:00 pm. I woke up this morning feeling hungry which never happens. My poor body was probably thinking I was heavily restricting again (I was diagnosed with bulimia this year) and now it's trying to make up for going so long without food. *laugh* 

My DH wants to drive me to work today because the doctor said I shouldn't drive for 24 hours. That means I need to take a packed lunch to work because I can't get to the grocery store during my 30 minute break. 

That's all. I had a wonderful support staff that made me feel comfortable and reassured. I was at a Kaiser facility that looks like a hospital so being wheeled into that room was kind of scary. All that machinery was daunting. But I survived. ?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking the home kit, Cologuard, sounds like the way to go, if one is a candidate. I think dh should get one but he doesn’t even do the simpler things that he should definitely be able to manage. 

I didn’t know they are good for 10 years, though. 

My gastro says that the prep is getting better and better, but I still find it horrid. I have had two now because I tend to make polyps, and my IBS is always bad for several days afterwards.

Both times I got a burger with cheese and everything on it afterwards. 

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Night Elf said:

However, the procedure went well and I don't have to go back for 10 years. My appointment was in the afternoon so I took a lunch with me to eat in the car on the way back home. I was so hungry!! Then two hours after that I had a large dinner. Then I had a sandwich about 8:00 pm, and my normal bedtime snacks about 9:00 pm. I woke up this morning feeling hungry which never happens. My poor body was probably thinking I was heavily restricting again (I was diagnosed with bulimia this year) and now it's trying to make up for going so long without food. *laugh* 

?

So glad you got it done and everything was good!  I have the same issue with the prep and being starving after with a history of restriction due to eating disorders.  It's hard to know what is real hunger and what is your body/mind panicking over starvation.  

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

If they don't find anything, you don't have to go back for 10 years.  If they find polyps, it's usually 3-5 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

If they don't find anything, you don't have to go back for 10 years.  If they find polyps, it's usually 3-5 years.

I'm on a 5-year plan. I see my internist twice a year, and he always comments. When I saw him in September, he had just had his 5-year with the "easier" prep and was very enthusiastic about it. But, he's that kind of doctor. Always into his craft...

• Like 2

I'm glad it went well!

I'm due to get one next year, but I've had one in the past. I anticipated being hungry afterwards and was looking forward to grabbing lunch with DH while my little ones were still being watched by Grandma.

Except I was not hungry at all, and not the next day, either. And I went home and took a nap and was worn out for a couple of days. I believe I probably reacted poorly to the anesthesia -- they had a hard time getting me to wake up -- and stayed sluggish for awhile.

Hopefully I will spring back from my next one, but I don't feel really optimistic.

Glad to hear that it went well.  

I have mine scheduled for late December and I'm dreading it.  I need to be the first appointment of the morning because I really don't fast well.  Blood sugar crashes suck and it takes days to get back to normal.  I am so dreading mine, mostly because medical procedures never seem to go right for me.  I'm afraid I'll wake up in the hospital with a perforation or something like that.  

I wish Cologuard was an option for me, but I have family history of it.  

My DH had a few polyps on his and he had to go back in 6 months.  When that one was clear, they said 5 years.  

12 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

My doctor has me do this test yearly (well, this year was my first year, but I will do it yearly):  "The fecal immunochemical test (FIT) uses antibodies to detect blood in the stool. It is also done once a year in the same way as a gFOBT."

I am not a candidate for a colonoscopy due to a prior bowel perforation (i almost died.... it wasn't discovered for well over 48 hours).  This test was easy to do and an adequate substitute for a colonoscopy for those of us that aren't candidates (or just simply don't want to do it...which I totally get!).  Now, if it comes back positive you are supposed to follow up with a colonoscopy.  Should mine come back positive, I truly don't know what will happen.  A colonoscopy, as well as any kind of abdominal surgery, is incredibly high risk for me.  I pray I am never in the position of needing either.

Wow, that’s scary! 

I know at least two of dh’s siblings have had polyps. That does scare me for what could be lurking in there. He has never had his checked out and he is 55. 

3 hours ago, Quill said:

I was thinking the home kit, Cologuard, sounds like the way to go, if one is a candidate. I think dh should get one but he doesn’t even do the simpler things that he should definitely be able to manage. 

Before he got his colonoscopy, dh researched Cologuard but decided against it. IIRC, it has a fairly high rate of false positives, which means you have to get a colonoscopy anyway. Also, one benefit of a colonoscopy is that any polyps are detected and removed right then and there. With Cologuard, you may have polyps growing and not know it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1