Menu

Real ID questions...

4everHis

From everything I can find at dhs.gov the only thing the "Real ID" does is allow you the convenience of using only one form of i.d. . After October 2020 you can still use your regular license with a passport or passport card, birth certificate to fly, get into federal buildings, etc. Is there something I'm not seeing? 

Starting October 1, 2020, every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft.  This is what we call “card-based” enforcement.  The card, itself, must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an alternative acceptable document such as a passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents other than documents from non-compliant states (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).

Edited by BlueGables
add text from gov

For the many Americans who do not have passports, this does present a new requirement - albeit one that is easy to comply with.

Personally I would not have known to bring a passport to get into a Federal building.  So I'm glad you posted this.

• Like 2

I did find this.

Q: Why are some states still not compliant? Isn't this law?

REAL ID is a mandate on Federal agencies, restricting the circumstances under which they may accept state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards for official purposes.  Participation by states is voluntary, although Federal agencies are prohibited from accepting driver's licenses or identification cards from noncompliant states for official purposes (e.g., boarding aircraft, accessing federal facilities, and entering nuclear power plants).

My state is compliant but if I keep my non-Real ID license and bring my passport will they let me board an aircraft?

Edited by BlueGables

4 hours ago, SKL said:

For the many Americans who do not have passports, this does present a new requirement - albeit one that is easy to comply with.

Personally I would not have known to bring a passport to get into a Federal building.  So I'm glad you posted this.

Yep. Our governor won't allow us to get Real IDs (ie comply with the law) so if DH must attend meetings in federal buildings, he must bring his passport.

We would have passports regardless, but not everyone finds getting one "easy". For many, many people in our state a passport is simply too expensive to even consider.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, BlueGables said:

I did find this.

Q: Why are some states still not compliant? Isn't this law?

REAL ID is a mandate on Federal agencies, restricting the circumstances under which they may accept state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards for official purposes.  Participation by states is voluntary, although Federal agencies are prohibited from accepting driver's licenses or identification cards from noncompliant states for official purposes (e.g., boarding aircraft, accessing federal facilities, and entering nuclear power plants).

My state is compliant but if I keep my non-Real ID license and bring my passport will they let me board an aircraft?

As long as your passport is current, yes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueGables said:

From everything I can find at dhs.gov the only thing the "Real ID" does is allow you the convenience of using only one form of i.d. . After October 2020 you can still use your regular license with a passport or passport card, birth certificate to fly, get into federal buildings, etc. Is there something I'm not seeing? 

After the deadline, the regular license can’t be use for domestic flights so the person would have to use a passport. My husband rather keep his passport at home for domestic flights so he is getting his Real ID done with me. It’s the same cost for us to do the Real ID or regular drivers license so we might as well get the Real ID for the same cost. 

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yep. Our governor won't allow us to get Real IDs (ie comply with the law) so if DH must attend meetings in federal buildings, he must bring his passport.

We would have passports regardless, but not everyone finds getting one "easy". For many, many people in our state a passport is simply too expensive to even consider.

Why would governor not let you get one.

2 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

This is really interesting.   I just learned that if you aren't travelling internationally outside of Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean, you can get a Passport card for $30.    

This is what we have done in past. I thought it cost more, though.

10 hours ago, SKL said:

When it costs more, it's not easy to comply if you don't have the money. When your state doesn't do Real ID, it's not easy. When you're elderly and have trouble getting access to those documents because you haven't needed them in 50 years, it's not easy to comply. When you're poor and getting to a DMV is difficult, it's not easy to comply. When you're poor and you need new official copies of documents that can run as high as $100, it's not easy to comply.

Look, Real ID may be a necessary thing... but it's absolutely not no big deal for everyone.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1