Menu

Waldorm, WTM Confidence Boosting Curriculum!??

ummof3

I'm sorry if the title doesn't make sense. I guess I can't make sense of it all so might come across as a little confusing!

I've got months ahead to plan. I've ordered the WTM book. I have checked out various curriculums etc. BUT I have no idea if and how it will all work. Duh, i'm sure this is what most newbie homeschoolers start out with!

I am nervous about homeschooling but I want to do it because i'm not happy with the way school is teaching them and because I want to give my kids an opportunity that will be lost as they won't be 6 and 8 forever.

My daughter who will be 8 was never into dressing up. She loves art but doesn't do it at school. I want to ignite that spirit in her. I really love some aspects of Waldorf here, you know, natural materials, using art to learn etc. How can I combine this with WTM? I don't mean 'let's spend the afternoon painting' but bringing the spirit into the whole learning experience. Does this make sense?

I looked at Oak Meadow and can see that that there are chunks of the curriculum I would not use. I also see that you can by parts separately. Can anyone recommend any of these or anything similar?

I'm still not sure if anyone has understood what I mean. Maybe this might help. My kids love learning. They came home today and my son who is 5 wanted to do his homework straight away - prep for spellings and making sentences from those words, some maths and reading. My dd was up till late doing her literacy work because otherwise she would miss golden time which is when she can make beaded bracelets etc. I want them to learn but I want to inculcate a real love for learning. They are stuck to textbooks and worksheets and we hardly get time for reading. I want to get away from this, at least partially.

I'm so confused that I'm unsure as to whether piecing a curriculum is going to work as I don't even know how to teach so many things, people here seem to know how to teach grammar, phonics, spelling etc. How can I tell if one maths programme is better than the other? I'm scared of having to shop around whilst homeschooling. I'll have a preschooler and a new baby at home, I won't have the time. DH and i spend hours deciding on things - I can see this happening with curriculums.

I really need guidance during my first year. I don't cope v well without sleep. Even if I piece together a curriculum I need instructions as to what to do next, until I feel more confident.

That's the key thing. I need something to boost my confidence. A fool proofish type curriculum. Does it exist?

Thanks for reading!

x

Edited by ummof3

A fool proofish type curriculum. Does it exist?

Sorry, umm, there is no foolproof curriculum, there just isn't. Every teacher and student is different and what's great for one just doesn't work for another. That's what makes hsing so effective. Strangely enough, a complete package like Oak Meadow or Calvert can be the hardest for a new hser to implement because you're almost guaranteed to not like part of it. You'll find that the reading and read-alouds are great but that the math just doesn't work for your student, or vice versa. It's almost certainly easier to piece together your own stuff so that you don't end up having to change everything when one subject doesn't work. Of course, you can keep what works in an all-in like OM, but you're not likely to buy the following years so you end up having to piece together something your 2nd year, KWIM?

Since you're in the UK, I'd take a good look at Galore Park materials. They are highly regarded and widely used in the UK, so they'd be at least as rigorous as the National Curriculum. If you're interested in Waldorf, but don't want to go the OM route, take a look at A Little Garden Flower. They have lots of Waldorf materials, including complete grade level curricula, at very reasonable prices:

http://www.alittlegardenflower.com

Good luck finding something you like!

I spent months and months doing reserach and I am very happy now that I did. TWTM was/is very helpful, and I still had to research/read reviews on the various elements. It has been heavily classical, but I needed to know I could do it. (provide an academicly strong program) Now that I feel more confident with the basics, or the structure if you will, I am starting to include more of the 'spirit' or 'energy' of what we are trying to do. One of those things was to recently order some of the Waldorf Art books. We are starting to incorporate many of the things that I find beautiful about Waldorf education. Our days are developing more flow, and a calmness is starting to settle in. I feel lucky to be homeschooling. It just took a LOT of time, energy and effort to get here. I imagine you too will reach this point in the process, you just have to keep pluggin' away until it "clicks"!

Hang in there, these boards are the best on the net and there are a lot of honest, understanding people here who will give support!

Thank you.

It was the maths I didn't like in the OM sample pages - dd has done most of 3rd grade level already.

It's just my personality to go with the flow. I tend to rely on other people's judgements so if so and so says that's great, then it must be but if someone else says it isn't then oh yes it probably isn't. I can be assertive but it may have been something to do with my parenting. I've always relied on my mother's opinions, and still do I guess :)

Yes I keep going back to Galore Park and have the Junior English 1 sitting in my basket. I've also bookmarked the little garden flower website. Maybe I just need time to 'figure' it out.

A few friends i've spoken to are sceptical and think I won't be able to hs as others have failed but I wonder if they had even thought of finding out their philosophy and reading the WTM. I doubt it somehow.

Thanks for replying :)

Thank you.

It was the maths I didn't like in the OM sample pages - dd has done most of 3rd grade level already.

It's just my personality to go with the flow. I tend to rely on other people's judgements so if so and so says that's great, then it must be but if someone else says it isn't then oh yes it probably isn't. I can be assertive but it may have been something to do with my parenting. I've always relied on my mother's opinions, and still do I guess :)

Yes I keep going back to Galore Park and have the Junior English 1 sitting in my basket. I've also bookmarked the little garden flower website. Maybe I just need time to 'figure' it out.

A few friends i've spoken to are sceptical and think I won't be able to hs as others have failed but I wonder if they had even thought of finding out their philosophy and reading the WTM. I doubt it somehow.

We use Oak Meadow, but not the math. For math we use Saxon. I supplement with a Latin programme and a separate spelling programme (my ds is not a natural speller). We also use Growing with Grammar as a supplement in addition to OM's language lessons. Ds is really good with grammar and asked for more, so there it is. :)

My son uses Oak Meadow 3rd Grade. We are also implementing WTM ideas. I use Oak Meadow's syllabus as a spine - just as a guidline and substitute or implement where needed. We added Latin as a foreign language (Song School Latin), as well as Growing with Grammar, Saxon Math 3, and R.E.A.L. Science Level 1. We use the book Festivals, Families and Foods by Diane Carey and Judy Large to celebrate our " Waldorf Festivals."

As mentioned, a little flower garden has wonderful waldorf guides - and best of all, they are affordable. I really like the CD's that come with each guide. AWASNA (http://www.awsna.org/catalog/default.php) has great publications. I highly recommend all the books by Dorothy Harrer. They are fairly inexpensive (about $12.00 - $14.00) and cover the grade years.

Christopherus Homeschool (http://www.christopherushomeschool.org) has some wonderful articles about Waldorf homeschooling and publishes waldorf teaching guides as well.

Another wonderful site would be Bob and Nancy's bookshop (http://www.waldorfbooks.com). They offer an abundance of waldorf teaching guides, books, etc.

As you can see, Waldorf and WTM can go together - you just have to be creative. It is (at least in my opinion) a little bit more teacher intensive - but we really love our hs days around here!

Hope this helps.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUSTE ONE - ds 9

I tried to combine Waldorf and classical last year. We had a wonderful year. I did block lessons for history, science, etc. We used mainlesson books for these subjects. I would have them give narrations and then create something from their narrations with watercolours or modelling beeswax.

I also integrated form drawing, circle time, baking and handiwork into our learning time. Our days had a very calming rhythm to them.

(Maybe?)

And I think you will find that TWTM works fine. It is nice and rigorous about skill things, so you avoid the frustration of having a child told to write a paper on such-and-such without specific instruction building up to that. Lots of curriculums sort of just assume that children will naturally learn things like that. Some of them will, of course, but others need to be specifically taught. And TWTM is nice and loose about content areas like history, science, and literature. It gives you methods that you can use to learn anything your child happens to be interested in. This way, the skills are taught so nobody gets too frustrated or has to worry about missing out on something critical, and the children can follow their interests in history and science and literature. For those content subjects, they can make up their own ideas for projects. Mine have had their own Olympic games, made their own knight costumes, tried building a reed boat, made Egyptian bread, etc. They came up with the ideas on their own. Even my high schooler has done things like made a beautiful watercolour of the circles in Dante's Inferno. I think you might find that TWTM is exactly the mix you are looking for. You just have to listen to your children when they say, "Can we try such and such?" And it works fine. Just go over to the high school board and see how many students are getting into college and doing well once they are there.

HTH

-Nan

(Maybe?)

And I think you will find that TWTM works fine. It is nice and rigorous about skill things, so you avoid the frustration of having a child told to write a paper on such-and-such without specific instruction building up to that. Lots of curriculums sort of just assume that children will naturally learn things like that. Some of them will, of course, but others need to be specifically taught. And TWTM is nice and loose about content areas like history, science, and literature. It gives you methods that you can use to learn anything your child happens to be interested in. This way, the skills are taught so nobody gets too frustrated or has to worry about missing out on something critical, and the children can follow their interests in history and science and literature. For those content subjects, they can make up their own ideas for projects. Mine have had their own Olympic games, made their own knight costumes, tried building a reed boat, made Egyptian bread, etc. They came up with the ideas on their own. Even my high schooler has done things like made a beautiful watercolour of the circles in Dante's Inferno. I think you might find that TWTM is exactly the mix you are looking for. You just have to listen to your children when they say, "Can we try such and such?" And it works fine. Just go over to the high school board and see how many students are getting into college and doing well once they are there.

HTH

-Nan

:iagree:

I don't even know how to teach so many things, people here seem to know how to teach grammar, phonics, spelling etc. How can I tell if one maths programme is better than the other? I'm scared of having to shop around whilst homeschooling.

When you get your WTM, do a thorough reading of it. Take notes, mark up the pages, highlight, write notes in the book, put yellow stickies in it to remind yourself of where certain info. is. WTM has several recs for each skill area, plus it has guidance on how to figure out what level your child is at. It also tells you what the authors think is the best pick and WHY (I always want to know why, lol). These should get you started on picking materials. Just so you know, there is a revised WTM coming out in a few months, but for the basic 6 to 8 year old skill areas, the recs in the current edition are just fine.

Also, I didn't start out knowing how to teach ANY of those things you mentioned. But seriously, the recs in WTM are designed for parents like me. They are there to offer just a few of many great programs out there, but they are good recs to start with. Once you get started with a grammar program or a math program, you figure some things out, you figure out what works and what doesn't, you come to the boards and ask more questions, and one day you realize, hey, I know how to teach a kid to read!

On these boards, you will read about WAY more curric. than is in WTM - but save that for later if it's overwhelming. Just start easy and then explore the other recs once you are a little more confident in teaching basic skills. You do eventually start knowing what to look for in a program.

Have fun!

Picking curriculum if you have TWTM book isn't too hard. Try the recommendations in the book first. If a recommendation doesn't work, THEN you can start trying to figure out why and come up with other options. Lots of people here enjoy curriculum shopping, trying new things, using things that need lots and lots of planning, trying to find that absolutely best-for-their-child choice. And others want something very specific out of a curriculum, like one that teaches everything from a biblical point of view, for example. Others have children who have special needs. SWB and JW have looked at lots of curriculums and chosen the ones that they think will go together well, are rigorous enough, and are easiest to use. For some things, they don't give a curriculum at all, just explain how to teach it yourself. I began using TWTM without having had ANY English grammar, without knowing any Latin, without remembering how to divide fractions or do percentages, without having had ANY history. It was fine. It isn't like I jumped into suddenly having to teach algebra 2. I got to build up to it gradually. The books tell you how to teach the stuff. I have often chosen curriculums that *I* understood easily, because that made it easier for me to explain the stuff to my children.

HTH

-Nan

I'm so confused that I'm unsure as to whether piecing a curriculum is going to work as I don't even know how to teach so many things, people here seem to know how to teach grammar, phonics, spelling etc.

"Seem" is the important word in this sentence ;) For the most part, the people who know how to do these things have done them before. You've got to remember, some of the women on here have 10 kids, they've had lots of practice!! I don't know any of these things, so I will be using products that hold my hand, and will probably come crying to this message board a lot.

How can I tell if one maths programme is better than the other?

You have to think about what you want from a maths program. It's pretty hard to find something that matches your educational philosophy if you don't really have one yet. I wanted something that was real world based, not just worksheets, for example. Other people want different things. Some kids like workbooks, some hate them. Some love manipulatives, some hate them. So, once you figure out what you want, you can read online reviews and these boards to find the product that most closely matches what you need.

I really need guidance during my first year. I don't cope v well without sleep. Even if I piece together a curriculum I need instructions as to what to do next, until I feel more confident.

Does anyone cope well without sleep? I'm a complete harpy if I don't get my beauty sleep! The common pattern seems to be to do a little of the skill based subjects each day, to keep in practise; and assign the content subjects less frequently.

:)

Rosie

• 2 months later...

Hi, im not sure but I never came back here to say thank you to all you lovely ladies for your wonderful advice. I've had to re-read again and so much of it makes sense now, even though Im still pretty confused. I am still drawn to OM but think I can combine it with WTM. My kids have been schooled for too long and if I could do it the OM way even for a year, I'll know it be good for us... so still thinking and will def read the WTM properly :)

xx

We use OM, but tailor it quite a bit to suit our goals. I use parts of OM math along with another program for as long as it is included in the main syllabus - I think that is through year 3 or so? Once the math book is a separate book, I drop OM math completely. I find that Oak Meadow fits nicely with the WTM philosophy. In the early years we are simply doing WTM at a gentler pace with more of an art and nature focus. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping in rather late on this thread, I can recommend a few good Waldorf art books if anyone is interested. I've been reading the boards here for years (before it moved to this fancy new home) but it's always at bedtime when I feel too tired to be able to post coherently. However, I've spent a fair amount of time reading about and trying to implement the Waldorf approach to art instruction, so I thought I should share.

Some good Waldorf art instruction books are:

Painting with Children by Brunhild Muller (available at Amazon)

This book is all about the Waldorf method of wet-on-wet watercolor painting with young children, which is the first painting technique introduced in Waldorf education. Primary colors are explored, first one at a time and then with two colors meeting, with a focus on the qualities of each color, and the moods the colors convey as they interrelate and mix, leading to the discovery of secondary colors. At first, there is no attempt to create images per se, it's all about the exploration of color. The book gives very clear steps for how to do a painting session, explaining all the equipment that is needed, and the proper care and keeping of brushes, paper and paint. Also explains how stories are incorporated into these lessons. A good place to start with Waldorf painting techniques.

Coloring with Block Crayons by Sieglinde de Francesca (at Bob and Nancy's)

This book, by an art teacher, shows techniques to teach to children to create drawings using beeswax crayons (such as those made by Stockmar or Lyra), which are typically used in the early grades at Waldorf schools to create the illustrations that go into the main lesson books. There are some lovely illustrations in this book and good information about how to blend and layer colors. Since Waldorf methods call on the teacher to create artworks that serve as an example, this is a good book to help in that endeavor. Also useful for some background of the proper care and use of those block (and stick) beeswax crayons before turning your kids loose with them. You might be surprised how much there is to know about the use of crayons in Waldorf education, there are even a few little controversies which are discussed. The author has just come out with a DVD on the same topic, I haven't seen it, but there is a preview on You Tube.

Drawing with Your Four to Eleven Year Old by Donna Simmons of Christopherus Homeschool Resources (at her website or Bob and Nancy's bookstore)

Somewhat to the above book, but more from a home educator/curriculum author's perspective rather than from an artist's perspective. Focusing on creating illustrations for Waldorf main lesson books, with examples that are specific to certain Waldorf main lesson blocks, but also with general techniques not only in crayon but in colored pencil. Shows examples that pertain to the work done in different grades in the Waldorf curriculum. 37 pages. A nice place to begin with Waldorf drawing techniques once you are ready to dive in and start illustrating a main lesson book.

Painting in Waldorf Education by Dick Bruin and Attie Lichthart (at Bob and Nancy's bookstore)

This 215 page book comes with a CD-Rom "with 62 full color and black-and-white images of examples discussed in the text." Discusses painting and drawing as it is taught in Waldorf schools, unlike Donna's book, which is aimed specifically at Waldorf homeschoolers. However, it is a much longer book with very beautiful examples of artwork from all the grades at a Waldorf school, and plenty of the pedagogy behind the teaching that goes into creating such art. There are exercises for the teacher to do, to help learn how to present the material. I am still working my way through this one, there's a lot to digest.

There is another title that I have on the shelf, called Drawing and Painting in Rudolf Steiner Schools by Margrit Jünemann and Fritz Weitmann. It's translated from the German and is one of those books that reads like a translation (i.e., it's tough going), though the information is very in-depth and like the previous title, it has beautiful illustrations. It's currently out of print, but there are used copies here are there, if anyone is really gung-ho!

Those are some of the titles I'm aware of; there are a few more that relate specifically to botany or geometry (see Bob and Nancy's), but these are good for the Waldorf approach to art in general.

Gillian

Orcas Island, WA

11yo ds, 10yo dd, 8yo ds

Edited by Gillian on Orcas Island

Wow thanks for those resources Gillian. Will def look them up.

I have now got Oak Meadow 3 (thanks Melissa!) and I must say it is definetly something I want to use *but* not alone - I want a separate Maths programme and something else for Language arts. I get bored and love creativity so using manipulatives in Maths is a must. I also don't like grammar so need something user friendly.

I am now at the stage though thinking that am I better off just buying my core classical curriculum (maths, english, history/geography (have sonlight lined up for the latter) and then use Waldorf and CM resources to supplement? I was thinking of using OM as a spine but someone has suggested doing it the other way around.

I guess I could do it that way - I just have a feeling though that this first year will be an experiential year for me and I will just have to go ahead and try out various things to see how they work.

We are not Christian but religious and a friend has suggested that a Christian based curriculum might be better for us. So I'm also going to look into Rod & Staff.

I'm curious about Winter's Promise - it's Christian based - i know - does it refer to God or to God and Jesus? I want something that refers to God only/mostly.

I'm sourcing a lot of curriculum used so am willing to buy to try.

I was quite set on FLL and WWE but hear Rod & Staff English is also very good :confused:

I have Right start maths in mind but am still unsure as I've yet to research other programmes.

i look forward to any more of your suggestions!

x

I think you explained very well what you are trying to do! We do a non-Waldorf curriculum, but incorporate Waldorf-y themes. I wanted to add one website on Waldorf art, not to use as a substitute for the excellent books already mentioned, but just an a (free) source of info. These are lesson plans from Stockmar (art supplier):

http://www.stockmar.de/index.php?language=en&shopCatId=0013c079a884ec32&baseCatId=0013c079a875af8b&currCatName=manuals&sid=8f8f88502bc50d9943382e2f7414a940

I think you explained very well what you are trying to do! We do a non-Waldorf curriculum, but incorporate Waldorf-y themes. I wanted to add one website on Waldorf art, not to use as a substitute for the excellent books already mentioned, but just an a (free) source of info. These are lesson plans from Stockmar (art supplier):

http://www.stockmar.de/index.php?language=en&shopCatId=0013c079a884ec32&baseCatId=0013c079a875af8b&currCatName=manuals&sid=8f8f88502bc50d9943382e2f7414a940

So do you use Waldorf books/resources in the same way as I'm hoping to use Oak Meadow? How do you incorporate it?

Oak Meadow is not completely true to Waldorf. If you want a complete Waldorf-inspired curriculum, you could try Live Education - or, to create something yourself, try the education section at Bob & Nancy's Bookshop. There are also many other ways you can supplement, we use a mixture of materials from Christopherus, A Little Flower Garden, Eugene Schwartz (his grade-by-grade CD's give an excellent overview of the curricula and provide pages of main lesson book inspiration) & many other books as well. As previously mentioned, Elizabeth Foss' site is great, especially for math. The art books recommended in this thread are a great way to incorporate Waldorf art into the curriculum also. There are lots of other books you could look at as well, depending on which aspects of Waldorf appeal to you most.

We did 100% Waldorf for pre-K & K and then the kids went to public school. Now we're now loosely following the WTM, but also relying on all of my Waldorf books & resources for ideas. We've done some Main Lesson Book work (I hope to integrate much more!), are working on a nature table (currently a nature shelf), celebrate the seasonal festivals, etc. I also plan to do form drawing with them, handwork & wet-on-wet painting. We largely use Stockmar and Lyra for art supplies & many of their toys are all-natural, a la Waldorf (we used to have the whole Waldorf kindy setup & oh how I miss those days!). I'm actually feeling rather guilty these days that we don't follow the Waldorf approach more closely, since it has always resonated so deeply with me. I came very close to going through Waldorf teacher's training, but am hoping as we get back into homeschooling more deeply, we can follow it more. Feel free to PM me if you need more specific ideas, I'm in a hurry at the moment & have rushed through this!

P.S. For some awesome inspiration, check out Waldorf Mama's blog (the archive is here)

Wait till you the get WTM, that will explain everything. Once you've read it you'll have a pretty good schedule to start with and as you continue the schedule will become 'yours,' because you'll change some things around.

Breath :) The book explains all :)

:iagree: WTM was really my whole "base" for everything, and it was a confidence booster in itself. I did as a PP mentioned - I started with the WTM recs and tried them. If they didn't work, then I researched and tried something else. I have heard the first year described as "tossing and turning to get comfortable," which is also a help and a reminder that you'll have to change and tweak things.

Thank you.

We use OM, but not their maths. I adore OM, but it's still not "the perfect foolproof curriculum." Whenever I find that elusive beast, I'll surely let the whole world know! :001_smile:

I don't want to sound like a Cassandra, but beware of "Waldorf Guilt." This is the phenomenon in which you start to drive yourself batty because nothing is ever up to the wonderful, wholesome, peaceful, rhythmic days/products that you imagine Waldorf will bring. Guess that sounded almost snarky, but it isn't meant to be. I think lots of folks bring Waldorf into their HSing almost effortlessly, and never look back. However, I've known quite a few who feel like they've failed at being "Waldorf enough."

More than any other curr. I've experienced, there are Rules with Waldorf. Normally, I'm the type who feels free to break rules, but something about the absolute yet amorphous nature of the Waldorf philosophy just threw my psyche for one heck of a loop.

All that said, we bake our bread and paint, and do handwork, and even the occasional ML page (never a full book, we need to change too frequently...). Also we are very hands on and we love RS math, and have done lovely math blocks to introduce new concepts. (Sara's blog is awesome, and she archives by subject).

I suppose I'm just urging you to be gentle with yourself. You will take on HSing and grow and change with your children. You will learn what they like and ditch what they don't. Don't ever feel guilty if you make a choice to use a "Mom friendly" program. Often we're better teachers when we do.

I hope my tone is not too gloom and doom. We have been buoyed up by Waldorf at some very difficult times, and it has brought so much to us - I just need to be careful to use it and not let it be my only guide.

Good Luck!

That is so nice of you to ask what I do! We are by no means pure Waldorf, and I do have some of the 'Waldorf guilt' pp mentioned!

We use the Core Knowledge curriculum for literature, history, science. Not too Waldorfy there -- but we do a lot of fairy/folk tales and imaginative literature. Handicrafts (as opposed to 'crafts') are very important for use -- knitting, weaving, bookmaking, etc. We try to follow the seasons with seasonal displays and various festivals (I think someone mentioned the books Festivals Together, All Year Round & others from Hawthorn Press.) Choosing toys that are simple & natural also helps. But, overall, we may be less Waldorf-y than what you are thinking of. I guess we (try to) remember dc's hands and hearts, as well as heads. BTW, I'm not sure I'd suggest CK if you want a put-together program.

Here is a blog I like of someone who has put together a mix of CM, Classical & OM. It might give you some good ideas. It sounds like something pretty close to what you may be thinking of.

http://fromtherootsup.blogspot.com/

Edited by Alessandra

There's a Waldorf Yahoo group by Marsha Johnson ( I think ) out of Shining Star in PDX, Oregon. She has a lot of ideas that you might like.

I can see many things that you can do to increase creativity and be gentle with your children's introductions to learning. You can read the history that you want them to know and then introduce them to the story. You can have them use Beeswax crayons and such...that really are just beautiful to use and blend together.

You can tell them faery tales while they dance around in silk scarves.... You can choose to use their approach to math.... Lots of living subjects. You could even choose to use their history cycles...but still do some type of oral narratives.... Anyway, I wouldn't do Oak Meadow, as it's not really waldorf...and not really WTM.

Carrie:-)

Thanks for your replies. It's too early here and I've had 6 hours of sleep so my mind is still half asleep lol.

I have to say that I couldn't follow 'pure' Waldorf. The whole festival thing, dancing isn't us. We also don't have natural toys although I'd be happy to get some. I do like the craft aspect, wet on wet painting, main lesson books, crayon drawing and use of fairy tales. I guess that's why i've turned to Oak Meadow as it's Waldorf-ish and not pure.

To be honest, my core books will be all Classical - I just want to be able to open up OM some days in the week.

Off to look at the Grade 1 sample if I can keep my eyes open :001_huh: