Menu

help :( cigarette smoke

mamashark

My husband got a used electric piano yesterday and put it in the living room last night - it's great, only it reeks of cigarette smoke ? . I used baking soda on every solid surface except the keys because hubby said he didn't want me to powder them and ruin the piano. Today, the surfaces I powdered smell mostly better but the keys smell terribly. and now my living room has the faint scent of cigarette smoke ? . I have an air purifier running non-stop in the living room next to the piano, but it's obviously not doing enough. What do I do?!?!?!? 

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

When we bought a car that smelled faintly of cigerette smoke we had it detailed. The shop used an ozone bomb, I wonder if you could do something similar?

interesting - I'll have to look into that, see if there's something commercially available! Thanks ?

In the meantime I am exhausting the air from the living room window with a fan and  used diluted baking soda/water to spritz the keys. 

• Like 1

MIL gifted us an electronic keyboard that had been in her super-smoky house for a while. IDK if this is bad for electronics, but we let it sit outside for a bit. We cleaned it best we could and then put it in the sun. (We had no money invested in it, so we weren't worried about destroying it. I think it helped-- and it still plays. But YMMV.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

I would want to use some kind of actual cleaner on the whole thing. Cigarette smoke leaves a nasty sticky residue, so I don't think baking soda is going to do it. If you are worried about the keys, maybe using q-tips or cotton balls with whatever cleaning product would work? It would be a lot of work, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it until it had a very thorough cleaning.

Slice up a granny smith apple and put it in a paper bag on or near the piano. Sounds insane, but it works! We once bought a used car with a horrific smoke smell and the people at the dealership told us that trick. The smell was gone in 2 days and the car hasn't given off a whiff of cigarette smoke in 10 years.