Menu

Dingy whites, especially baby clothes

happypamama

So after a lot of babies, many of my baby clothes are less than sparkly white. I think I can get the yellow stains out, but what can I do to make the whites brighter?  I have cute little sleepers with colored prints but white backgrounds that I’ve had since my oldest was a baby, and I would really like to freshen them up a bit. 

I soaked them in hot water and a heavy concentration of OxiClean, washed them, then hung them outside in the sun. That all maybe helped a tiny bit, but they’re still dingy. I’m really hesitant to use actual bleach because I don’t want to ruin the colored prints. Any other ideas?

10 minutes ago, happypamama said:

I tried that.  It didn't help much.  I wonder what I did wrong.

hot water and generous with the powdered oxyclean (which needs hot to dissolve).   I left it there overnight.  I think I may also soaked it with  a good stain remover spray - so combination.   washed with more oxyclean and bright white cycle on my front loader.

what did you do?

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

hot water and generous with the powdered oxyclean (which needs hot to dissolve).   I left it there overnight.  I think I may also soaked it with  a good stain remover spray - so combination.   washed with more oxyclean and bright white cycle on my front loader.

what did you do?

All of that!  Overnight, hot water, a LOT of powdered Oxyclean, like a scoop per gallon of water.  Then I threw the soaking water into the washer and used the whites cycle.  I can't remember if I used more Oxyclean in the washer or not, but maybe I should try that.  I didn't do the stain remover, but I don't know how that would work for all-over rather than just spots.  Hmmm.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kand said:

Do you have hard water? Hard water deposits cause dinginess. In which case you might try something like RLR to remove them. I’m having things stay much whiter now that I use powdered detergents with water softening ingredients included. 

I’ll bet that’s it.  We have very hard water.  We have had a softener for about three years, but our (living) youngest is five, so all the baby clothes have been washed many times before we got the softener.  Maybe RLR will help — thanks!

Have you thought of dying them a different color?  My ds has gotten into doing this with some of his clothes, and I can't get over how beautiful they turn out.  He said he gets exact recipes for dye amounts through the Rit dye site.  I'm not sure how that works with prints, but maybe they'd still stand out?

Try soaking them in peroxide overnight. I use about half a bottle per load. I just pour it over in the washer as it’s filling and let it swish around a few times, then open the lid until the next day. It works wonders on DH’s T-shirt’s and socks, which are 100% cotton.  Another day of hanging  in the sun wouldn’t hurt either. HTH. 

Use a mainstream detergent, not a natural or green detergent.  Our clothes looked dull and grayish when I was using a green detergent.  When I switched back to mainstream detergent, the optical brighteners made our clothes bright again !  I like it. 

https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/uniforms/laundry-detergents-for-use-with-the-acu-army-combat-uniform.shtml

Edited by laundrycrisis