Menu

ISO: the perfect travel mug

sassenach

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Contigo West Loop Autoseal

The stainless steel version is dishwasher safe; the colored ones supposedly are not. I've only ever had the stainless steel.

I've used these for years and years and the only time I've ever had them leak was when I overfilled. Total operator error.

I'll second these. We have one (colored, but we have put it in the dishwasher). It has been excellent - going on 3-4 years now.

We liked this one so much we purchases some other Contigo stainless bottles - the lid is different in that you push with your finger and it opens the top, but the mechanism is different than the Autoseal. We like those too.

• Like 2

I just had to make the life changing decision to replace my travel mug of over 20 years. It was heart wrenching (my husband might choose other words. I have agonized for over three years trying to find a suitable replacement). Alas, my mug is no longer imported and I had to choose. What started out as small leaks became...well..I won't speak poorly of the recently deceased. I've had my new best friend for almost a full week. It's a Yeti Rambler, 20 ounces and she's very pretty. It feels weird having my hand around something different (it's a little wider) but I think that it was a sound choice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Contigo West Loop Autoseal

The stainless steel version is dishwasher safe; the colored ones supposedly are not. I've only ever had the stainless steel.

I've used these for years and years and the only time I've ever had them leak was when I overfilled. Total operator error.

We have these in plain stainless steel and in colored. I also refuse to hand wash.  The color chipped off about three years in on a couple of them. Eh, I care more about function. The plastic lid is now starting to fail on one of these about four years in. It's not a bad run for a $16 flask that's gotten daily use. 

I'm eyeing the hydro flask....https://www.hydroflask.com/20-oz-wide-mouth/color,olive,a,92,o,140  I've heard mixed reviews on dishwasher use. 

• Like 1

I like the Contigo travel mugs as well, but I prefer this style of lid. I found it much easier to get the inside of this lid really clean (especially if you're putting  them in the dishwasher and not hand-washing) compared to the lid in the style linked upthread. 

My son prefers the wide mouth style, and I found that the Thermoflask brand that Costco sells are just as good as Hydroflask and Takeya, and they are MUCH cheaper. I think the 40 oz Thermoflasks were about $10 each (in a 2-pack) at Costco, compared to ~$30 for a Takeya, or $40-50 for a 40 oz Hydroflask. The Thermoflask bottles are virtually identical to the Takeya brand, except for a slight difference in the carrying loop on the handle (and I think the ones on the Thermoflask are actually better). They may even be made by the same company. 

A great tip for cleaning the inside of stainless steel bottles is to use generic denture-cleaning tablets. A lot of our bottles had serious tea stains which were very hard to remove; I just filled them with hot water, dropped in 2-3 tablets, waited an hour or so, then swished with a bottle brush and rinsed. They looked brand new.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

The thing I like about the Contigo AutoSeal--the thing that really makes it the perfect travel (and home!) mug for me--is that it really does automatically seal. If I'm not actively drinking then that baby is shut tight. Spill proof all the time. And I can't begin to guess how many times that feature has saved me from a big mess! I've yet to find another travel mug that automatically seals. But y'all probably aren't anywhere near as klutzy as I am. ? 

• Like 3

Klean Kanteen has one, and I have one and like it, but you need two lids if you want leakproof + travel mug type lid.

I like that Klean Kanteen lids are so easy to wash/get clean. The parts of the lid easily snap apart into two.

ETA: I'm talking about their insulated bottles, not their tumblers. I don't have any experience with the tumblers.

Edited by Petrichor

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, Corraleno said:

I like the Contigo travel mugs as well, but I prefer this style of lid. I found it much easier to get the inside of this lid really clean (especially if you're putting  them in the dishwasher and not hand-washing) compared to the lid in the style linked upthread. 

My son prefers the wide mouth style, and I found that the Thermoflask brand that Costco sells are just as good as Hydroflask and Takeya, and they are MUCH cheaper. I think the 40 oz Thermoflasks were about $10 each (in a 2-pack) at Costco, compared to ~$30 for a Takeya, or $40-50 for a 40 oz Hydroflask. The Thermoflask bottles are virtually identical to the Takeya brand, except for a slight difference in the carrying loop on the handle (and I think the ones on the Thermoflask are actually better). They may even be made by the same company. 

A great tip for cleaning the inside of stainless steel bottles is to use generic denture-cleaning tablets. A lot of our bottles had serious tea stains which were very hard to remove; I just filled them with hot water, dropped in 2-3 tablets, waited an hour or so, then swished with a bottle brush and rinsed. They looked brand new.

I ended up going with the contigo you linked here. Thanks!

• Like 1