Menu

National Hispanic Scholar (received 07 September 2018)

Lanny

My DD took the PSAT/NMSQT during October 2017 and was notified months ago, that she qualified for the National Hispanic Recognition Program, by the College Board.  At that time, she sent in whatever additional information was required.

This morning, she received an Encrypted email, from Scholarship America.   That email, when unencrypted, had the letter  from the College Board, that she is a National Hispanic Scholar.

If your DC participated in the National Hispanic Recognition Program, watch for the email.

• Like 24

37 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Congrats to her and your family, Lanny!

Thank you, writes the proud dad...   Hoping this will be a big "plus" on her university applications and may open up some "Merit Aid", which is much harder to get (IMO) than "Need Based" Aid.  And, offers of "Honors College", which I believe have a lot more "pluses" than "minuses". 

• Like 1

Follow-on: I want to emphasize that the email DID NOT come directly from  CollegeBoard.org    It came from a Scholarship America email address.  We had seen Scholarship America, when using the "Big Future" Scholarship finder on CollegeBoard.org so I recognized that name and we plan to look at their list of Scholarships, ,when DD has time.

DD asked me about it yesterday in the morning, when she saw it, because there was one email explaining that they had sent another email, and that it was Encrypted. Not being positive of the contents, DD opened it and it had the 2 files from the College Board.  ?

That it did not come from CollegeBoard.org surprised us.

2 hours ago, StillStanding said:

Congratulations!

We are waiting for ours (my daughter's) ?

Someone on the CollegeConfidential board posted that they had called the College Board, and they had been told that notices would not be sent until the end of September... 

I hope that your DD will receive the Honor!

I don't know about the poster on College Confidential. That certainly was not the case with my DD.  I have copies of the 2 files that she received, as attachments to an email from ScholarshipAmerica.com  Based on my DD getting that email, last Friday, what you read on College Confidential is not true.

HOWEVER, possibly they send them out by Regions?   We live in South America, but my DD is a student in Texas Tech University High School, which I believe is in the Southwest Region, with regard to NHRP scoring.   My assumption is that she was scored with students from Texas and the Southwest.

I suggest that your DD call the College Board phone number for NHRP, about 1030 A.M., EDT, on Wednesday the 12th of September 2018, and ask them if she qualified as a National Hispanic Scholar (hopefully she did!) and if so, ask them to email the Certificate and Letter to her.   I think, but am not positive, that you will actually be talking with someone in Scholarship America.  (I try to call for help or information on Wednesdays, if possible, because it is (usually) the least stressful day of the week for people who are working)

15 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I hope that your DD will receive the Honor!

I don't know about the poster on College Confidential. That certainly was not the case with my DD.  I have copies of the 2 files that she received, as attachments to an email from ScholarshipAmerica.com  Based on my DD getting that email, last Friday, what you read on College Confidential is not true.

HOWEVER, possibly they send them out by Regions?   We live in South America, but my DD is a student in Texas Tech University High School, which I believe is in the Southwest Region, with regard to NHRP scoring.   My assumption is that she was scored with students from Texas and the Southwest.

I suggest that your DD call the College Board phone number for NHRP, about 1030 A.M., EDT, on Wednesday the 12th of September 2018, and ask them if she qualified as a National Hispanic Scholar (hopefully she did!) and if so, ask them to email the Certificate and Letter to her.   I think, but am not positive, that you will actually be talking with someone in Scholarship America.  (I try to call for help or information on Wednesdays, if possible, because it is (usually) the least stressful day of the week for people who are working)

I am not too concerned, just waiting.

My oldest got National Hispanic Scholar four years ago. This second child was invited to apply and we did. The invitation said they would send notifications in September. It is my understanding that if a student has the PSAT scores, applies, and he/she is of  Hispanic heritage it is a given they will receive the honor.

I just checked College Confidential again, and the latest posting (today) said College Board was planning to send notices next week. 

College Confidential also has lists of schools with generous scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars (If you don't have a list yet).

I am glad you found out early through ScholarshipAmerica.com ?

Congratulations!

• Like 1

@StillStanding  if your DD #2 submitted the additional  information they requested, earlier this year and they received that, and verified it, hopefully she will be receiving that email soon.

If you have a list of Scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars on College Confidential that it up-to-date, please post the link here and we will check it out. Thank you!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:23 AM, Lanny said:

@StillStanding  if your DD #2 submitted the additional  information they requested, earlier this year and they received that, and verified it, hopefully she will be receiving that email soon.

If you have a list of Scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars on College Confidential that it up-to-date, please post the link here and we will check it out. Thank you!

This is the 2018 list that  was posted in College Confidential (verified by the poster):

University of Alabama at Birmingham
-tuition for 8 semesters
-first year of freshman dorms
-a $1000 technology scholarship
a $2500 experimental learning stipend (traveling, etc...)
---just be accepted and then email copies of certificate and notification letter from Collegeboard.

University of Arizona
-$25,000, can vary
-automatic admission to honors

Arizona State
NEW AMERICAN UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP
-tuition covered (including out of state, around $26,000 a year)
-Scholars get to apply later to Barrett Honors College
---Get admitted to university, then contact for scholarship

Northeastern
-$30,000 yearly, but DOES VARY
----apply, then contact for scholarship

Wichita State University
-tuition, student fees, campus infrastructure
-room/board on campus
-$500 a semester for books (2 years?)
---Apply by April 1st, must be fully admitted to a degree-bound program by May 1st

University of New Mexico
CONROY ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP
-tuition and fees
-$2500 stipend PER YEAR
-one year of freshmen housing
---apply by Mar. 1st, automatic, just call/email for scholarship info

Florida State University
NHRP
-tuition and fees (including out of state)
---apply, fill out scholarship section on application, contact

Andrews University
-full tuition/books, Maybe room/board (call)...
---apply, send records to admissions office.

University of Kentucky
PATTERSON SCHOLARSHIP (CAN VERY)
-full tuition (out of state)
-$10,000 for housing (one time, 2 yrs worth)
---Apply by December 1st, contact

University of Nebraska-Lincon
-CHANCELLOR'S SCHOLARSHIP
-full out-of-state tuition
-$2000 stipend (one time or yearly?)
---apply, contact

Fordham
-full tuition, 4 years
---COMPETITIVE (not guarunteed), contact/apply

A&M University (TAMU)
-$14,000 over 4 years ($3500 per year)
---Apply by Nov. 1st or Dec. 1st, contact

There are other lists for other years so I don't know if those schools still offer the scholarships. Just google "College Confidential + National Hispanic Scholar." 

• Thanks 1

@StillStanding  Thank you for posting that list. I had seen it on CC.   I am now following a thread, I don't use Bookmarks, but I have a Browser Tab for it,  about National Hispanic Scholars (2019 graduates)  on CC. It was never on our Radar, but  2 parents have reported that their DDs went to UK (University of Kentucky) reluctantly and now love it.  I have Googled for schools that offer aid for National Hispanic Scholars or for National Hispanic Recognition  Program and gone thru the first pages of the SERPs.  I think Florida International University and UCF (the one in Orlando) also have aid, but that Florida International has a lot more of it.  Not sure as I read it quickly.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lanny said:

It was never on our Radar, but  2 parents have reported that their DDs went to UK (University of Kentucky) reluctantly and now love it.  

Thanks.  That's good to know.  We are looking at UK because of the merit aid but I have been wary of it for dd.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Thanks.  That's good to know.  We are looking at UK because of the merit aid but I have been wary of it for dd.  

You are welcome. This is the thread on CC that I have a Browser Tab for. I think those mentions are on pages 5 and 6. This is page 7: 

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/2053899-national-hispanic-scholar-nhrp-class-of-2019-p7.html

I think on this page of the FIU web site there is some information about National Hispanic Scholars. Not much information. Probably more on another web page:

"National Hispanic - Students who qualify for Presidential/Ambassador scholarships and are selected as a finalist. Awards full tuition, fees, room and board, up to the cost of attendance as published by the Office of Student Financials."

https://admissions.fiu.edu/cost-and-aid/scholarships/index.html

• Thanks 1

I have been searching, for information about schools that look for National Hispanic Scholars.  Yesterday, I read a paper, not sure of the date, that I believe is reputable. Two of the contributors work for CollegeBoard.  In that paper, they said that approximately 200 colleges and universities pay CollegeBoard for information about the National Hispanic Scholars.  Hopefully, the schools have that information now, or, will receive it very soon and begin sending emails to the National Hispanic Scholars.

One school I ran across while searching is Mississippi State University. I think it is a good school, with a good reputation for Engineering, but I am not sure about that.  I think they will cover full tuition and fees, including for OOS.  https://www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshmen/money-matters/scholarships/academic-scholarships/

There are several schools in Arizona and several in Alabama that seem to be interested.

We haven't gotten a letter yet, but I called their office today and dd has qualified  ?

They said that if we don't get a letter by October 1st to call back for a replacement letter.

If anybody else is awaiting confirmation, you may want to call them: 866-545-8467

Congratulations to all the Hispanic children who qualified!!

• Like 3