Menu

Wwyd? Drama class

sangtarah

First day of drama class for ages 6-10. Teacher makes all the kids “audition” for roles by saying a tongue twister and their name and favorite color, then assigns roles  according to what “fits” their personality. Teachers’ kid gets the lead. My dd gets the beanstalk. Kids are making fun of that part. She is terribly upset. This is the only script they will work on for 12 weeks. 

I feel it’s inappropiate for an enrichment homeschool class to assign roles based on quick auditions. I was under the impression that the class would be teaching skills and parts of drama, not solely working on one script to present to the parents. And to tell my kid her personality is a beanstalk is insulting to her. She struggles with being confident in groups. She said she tried hard today. I can accept that drama may not be her thing, but I wasn’t aware she would be trying out for a part, she was supposed to learn about drama through this class! She has some other challenges right now and doesn’t need to be weighed down by feeling inadequate and “less-than”. So, naturally, I’m thinking of pulling her out. 

The teacher’s kid got the lead? In the very first class of a 12-week course? And they are working on nothing but the one play for the entire 12 weeks? That’s ridiculous.

Not only would I remove my child from the class, I would be having a chat with the organizer of the homeschool enrichment program.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Her personality is a beanstalk?  I think that you are over reacting to the part. 

However- I do agree that you should pull her out because you want something different than what is being offered. I hope that you can find something else for your daughter. 

Those aren’t my words - they are dd’s. She interpreted or was given the impression that she, herself, was equal to a beanstalk. IMO, that should not happen. No teacher should even hint at that kind of relationship.

12 minutes ago, Shellydon said:

What was the class description? 

inspire budding young actors through creative play, exercise, scene work and monologues. Students will learn the basics of taking direction, blocking, memorization, and feeling comfortable and confident in front of others to prepare them for the world of theatre. There will be a performance for the parents on the last day.”

19 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

The teacher’s kid got the lead? In the very first class of a 12-week course? And they are working on nothing but the one play for the entire 12 weeks? That’s ridiculous.

Not only would I remove my child from the class, I would be having a chat with the organizer of the homeschool enrichment program.

I would love to chat with them, but I’m concerned that what I say would be interpreted as “her kids was upset = snowflake treatment”. Any tips on wording?

1 hour ago, sangtarah said:

I would love to chat with them, but I’m concerned that what I say would be interpreted as “her kids was upset = snowflake treatment”. Any tips on wording?

I’m not good at wording but I would bring up that nothing in the class description indicated that there would be an audition and that dd was hoping it would be a gentle introduction to theater and was not ready to be thrown in the deep end.  

My dds have done classes that work as auditions first class and full performance of a play 12 weeks later but we were given audition information 2 weeks in advance and the instructor had no children so was more impartial.  

I would not go back.  

Edit:  I would not bother trying to talk to this woman.

In talking to the director I would worry that *I* would sound like the crazy one because it will be hard to believe that the teacher would act in this way. If other people complain it’s different.  If other people complain and also somebody (you) dropped after one class — I think that is enough of a message.  If other parents are willing to put up with it or don’t want to make waves, and you are the only person to have a problem with it — I just know that that will never work out well for me.   If it was something higher stakes, I would increase my involvement.  Like — if it was Sunday School.  I wouldn’t for a 12-week class.  But I think go for it if you want to!

Edited by Lecka

I would at least talk to the instructor about whether there are other activities planned for each class session along with the skit. It wouldn’t be outside of the realm of normal for there to be games and instruction with a small portion of classs session devoted to skit rehearsal. Especially for that age range. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I would at least talk to the instructor about whether there are other activities planned for each class session along with the skit. It wouldn’t be outside of the realm of normal for there to be games and instruction with a small portion of classs session devoted to skit rehearsal. Especially for that age range. 

I would do this.   I would expect a lot of the class would be improv games, playing with scenes,etc.  And that they’d work on this small scene as a presentation for the end.   It’s hard to have something to show at the end unless you start right away.   If this is the only thing they will be doing for 12 weeks with that class description, I would tell the organizer she needs to change her description.   If you are ok with the format, I would let the teacher know your child is getting harassed about her role as the beanstalk so she can know to watch for that and reinforce that drama is a team sport and everyone needs to support each other.   And I’d reinforce at home too.

Other than paid professional theater, I’ve found a lot of casting is done quickly and fairly thoughtlessly in youth theater especially.  And doubly so for classes and intensives.   Director’s kids and kids that have been around generally do get cast better.  So as a child brand new to drama the casting wouldn’t really bother me.  It is likely the teacher’s child has done more.  But I would expect a paid class with that description to be focusing on confidence and skill building for the whole class and not on just working on that one scene.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I’ll try to reach out to her. The letter sent home didn’t say anything about other activities, just went on about the performance, script, practice, etc. 

• Like 1