Menu

Talk to me about podcasts

Technology first: how do you listen? How do your kids listen?  Explain technology to me like I’m your 95 yo grandmother, please.

What do your kids listen to? Particularly the K/pre-K set.

What do you listen to? I’m obviously a homeschooling mama, and I’d love to indulge my passion for reading, cooking, and traveling in my hectic, sleep deprived world.

I listen to podcasts on the overdrive app. I used to use the regular podcast app on my iPhone, but the last update came with changes to some features I liked. My kids listen to a few podcasts that I either play in the car while driving or are played while I work individually with the other child. These are my current podcasts subscriptions for kids: LibriVox (this can be listened to in a podcast app, but it’s also an app if you search the App Store), Tumble Science, Sparkle Stories, Brains On, Storynory, Short and Curly 

• Like 1

I forgot to list what I listen to. This American Life, Planet Money, Happier, A Brave Writer’s Life in Brief, Bookworm, Ted Talks, The Weirdest Thing I Learned This Week, Star Talk Radio, Armchair Expert, Mac Power Users, Read Aloud Revival

I mostly listen while running or doing chores. Sometimes I put on podcasts when driving, but I also like silence. I’m rarely alone, lol. I enjoy silence. 

Edited by extendedforecast
  • Like 2

I listen on my iPhone using the podcast app. You can browse,  download, and listen to podcasts directly in the app.  I listen to The History of Philosophy without Any Gaps (dd16 listens in with me), Tides of History, and The Fall of Rome (ds13 listens in with me) in order.  I also listen to episodes of Brave New Mom, Tilt Parenting, Freakenomics Radio, Radio Lab, and a couple other random ones piecemeal.  When they were smaller we listened to StoryNory, but really we don’t use them a lot. 

• Like 1

I listen on my phone using the Sticher app. It connects to my car speakers via Bluetooth so I’ll listen in the car, when working out, or when folding laundry. 

My kids (10, 8, 6) enjoy Brains On, Wow in the World, Read Aloud Revival, and Smash Boom Best.

They also like How I Built This with Guy Roz (he also does the TED radio hour and Brains On). However, HIBT is not a kids’ show so occasionally there is language or content that is not kid friendly. I typically prescreen the episodes my kids listen to. 

I will sometimes listen to God Centered Mom, The First 40 Miles, or Young House Love has a Podcast when the kids are around but I’m not a regular listener of those podcasts. I have a few homeschooling podcasts I enjoy as well.

• Like 1

I listen on the podcast app on my iphone.

Consistently: Close Reads and The Play's the Thing (new Shakespeare podcast!)  from CiRCE, Mortification of Spin (Reformed Christian theology)

Occasionally:  Schole Sisters, The Mason Jar, Bravewriter, The World and Everything in It (news from WORLD magazine), Forma, Center for Lit, Read Aloud Revival.

My kids just do audiobook, not podcasts, though we did some storynory when they were little. 

I use an android phone. I downloaded a podcast app (I like Podbean) from the Google play store. I download the episodes onto my phone, then either listen straight from my phone with headphones or plug my phone into the radio in the car (I do this for audio books, using the Audible app mostly, too)

My kids listen to Speak Russian and Myths and Legends mostly, I wouldn't do either of those for k age.

I listen to a lot of things, books through librivox. Circe institute has a few good podcasts. A delectable education has a Charlotte mason podcast.

So, I listen to podcasts on my phone (just auditory podcasts...I've heard the term apply to videos, but for me it's all about listening to something while I cook and do laundry).   I get a podcast app, I search with the app for podcasts I'm interested in and subscribe to them (note, in some cases, depending on how you set this up it can either just list the podcast for you to listen to when you want to, or actually download it onto your phone, which takes up space.   I'm still a little iffy on how this works and it would work differently depending on your podcast app, so I'm not going to attempt to explain it.   But there is ways to delete the stuff). 

My kids don't listen to podcasts, only me, cause they aren't that fond of just listening to audio, unless it's music.

My fave podcasts are....

HISTORY, CULTURE AND POLITICS:

This History of Rome (by Mike Duncan)

Stuff You Missed in History Class

Revisionist History

The Archeology Channel

TED Radio Hour (by NPR)

Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me (for fun...it's an NPR news quiz)

EDUCATION RELATED (I'm interested in public education too...so only one of these is specifically about homeschooling)

The Homeschool Solutions Show

ADHD Experts

EdNext

The Education Gadfly

I don't listen to every episode of all of those, but they keep me awake while I do housework.   Some of them include swearing and nearly all of them include some issues that aren't appropriate for younger children, but all of them are interesting.  (I'd let me teen listen to any of them, though many I'd like to discuss afterwards).  The History of Rome especially is one I'd encourage a teen to listen too.  

I downloaded a podcast app called pocketcasts from the Android store.  I like to listen to Up First, which is a daily 10 minute NPR news podcast, and the Homeschool Sisters.  

My 7 and 4 year olds really like Sparkle Stories.  These stories are actually a paid subscription, but each week, the company releases one to their podcast.  My kids especially like the Martin and Sylvia stories.  Martin and Sylvia are even homeschooled!

We also occasionally listen to Classics for Kids and Wow in the World.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Raeof5 said:

Ok, so can podcasts be downloaded directly onto a computer and then transferred to a SD card to put on a mp3 player that can't connect to Wi-Fi? If so, how?

I would assume you could download podcasts onto your computer by going directly to the podcast website. As for how to transfer it to the sd card, I have no clue.