Menu

Beowulf

We are using the Heaney version, both reading and listening. It has a nice audio (available on Hoopla through your library if you access to that or where ever you get audiobooks). We're reading the commentary in an anthology we have on hand (in my siggy) for background reading, along with this http://www.bagbybeowulf.com/video/index.html

We listened to a Great Courses Great Authors lecture on Beowulf. We own it, but it just became available on Hoopla.

HTH

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How did I not know about Hoopla?! I found several Great Courses lectures on Beowulf. I don’t know why I have bought so many things from audible when Hoopla has been available all this time for free. 

Thanks 8 for the PDF. That’s exactly what I have been looking for. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

We listened to a Great Courses Great Authors lecture on Beowulf. We own it, but it just became available on Hoopla.

Great courses on Hoopla? That just opened a whole new world for me! And also, apparently the Roku has a Hoopla app. I'm so excited!

(Sorry for the threadjack, Roadrunner, I just got really excited about this!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sammish said:

Great courses on Hoopla? That just opened a whole new world for me! And also, apparently the Roku has a Hoopla app. I'm so excited!

(Sorry for the threadjack, Roadrunner, I just got really excited about this!)

It does have a drawback- each lecture is a check out, so depending on how many check outs your library gives you, you can run out before the end of the month. Of course I'm stacking three cards at two libraries....

Just now, MamaSprout said:

It does have a drawback- each lecture is a check out, so depending on how many check outs your library gives you, you can run out before the end of the month. Of course I'm stacking three cards at two libraries....

It looks like my library has a 2 per month limit. Looks like it's time to finally get DS his own library card! ?

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I see ours allows 4 per months. This is great for this particular situation (saved me from buying a set I didn’t want for just one lecture), but I see your point about borrowing lectures and not an entire series of lectures. I am glad I purchased some titles in their entirety from audible. 

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I see ours allows 4 per months. This is great for this particular situation (saved me from buying a set I didn’t want for just one lecture), but I see your point about borrowing lectures and not an entire series of lectures. I am glad I purchased some titles in their entirety from audible. 

We buy a few Great Courses strategically and try to use Hoopla for things like full-length audio books when possible. Our libraries give us 6 check outs per card, but I do max out all the cards out most months. Audible + Hoopla would be a good combo if we had fewer allowed check outs.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

We get 10 a month with our Hoopla, and I felt like I was deprived with that (okay, mostly because my 5 year old keeps checking out Paw Patrol episodes)....I'll stop complaining now; looks like we have it good!

I'm planning to do Beowulf with all my older kids later this year, and I was going to give John Gardner's Grendel to my 12th grader at the same time...although I guess I should re-read it myself first (it's been well over 20 years since I read it, and I don't remember much), to see if I really want to do that.

• Like 2

I LOVED this edition of Seamus Heaney's translation -- yummy layout and photos of items from the times!

A few supplements from when I did Beowulf with a lit. class several years back:
- 30-min animated Beowulf, narrated by Derek Jacobi
- Benjamin Bagby performing Beowulf in original language, like a bard would have = 2 min. excerpt (with subtitles)
- handy chart: "A Guide to the Characters and Feuds in Beowulf" -- do a search for this, and when you click on it, the document auto downloads to your computer (when I tried to link, it led to a page requiring log-in ? )
- Beowulf for Beginners website: with basic background info, "who's who" of characters; section summaries
- help with pronouncing names: audio pronunciation (from Beowulf for Beginners)
- Seamus Heaney reads excerpts from his translation in these two 1-hour segments: part 1 and part 2
- Beowulf includes kennings; here is a short article: The Best Anglo-Saxon Riddles and Kennings
- excavated Anglo-Saxon items from the time: Sutton Hoo; National Geographic: Viking gold hoard artifacts
- view the oldest existent Beowulf manuscript (1000-year old)
- study guides: Glencoe Literature Library; Penguin Teacher Guide

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

I'm planning to do Beowulf with all my older kids later this year, and I was going to give John Gardner's Grendel to my 12th grader at the same time...although I guess I should re-read it myself first (it's been well over 20 years since I read it, and I don't remember much), to see if I really want to do that.

I think the Glencoe Literature Library guide that I linked above includes a very short bit of a guide to Gardner's Grendel, in addition to Beowulf. ?

Enjoy your Beowulf study! In my Lit. class, my students struggled with the poetic form for the first week. By the third week (our last week), they were so into it -- when we got to the last lines, one of the girls shared her annotation about the end lines: "I cried". She really got swept up in the work, as did a number of the other students. It was so amazing to see how powerful this epic still is!

• Like 2